Author Topic: Phase 2  (Read 2232 times)

jimmy r

Phase 2
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:17:59 pm »
I had my 7 week post-op MRI and appointment with my neurosurgeon ( Dr Barker). The facial nerve was wrapped around the tumor so he was only able to remove about half of it. So I now have about a 1.4 cm tumor with lots of holes in it. Dr Barker is recomending FSR at MGH, which would be 30 treatments. I have an appointment with Dr Loeffler, chief of radiology at MGH on 9/12.  I am just getting my energy back from surgery and must now start working on my next phase to kill this nasty bugger that refuses to die. So I guess I now switch to the radiation section of the forum and debate gaama knife vs cyper knife, 1 dose vs. 30 doses, where to go, etc. I am 2 hours from Boston but I have ben advised to go to a team with a lot of expeience. Does anybody know what options MGH offers?
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Phase 2
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:24:56 pm »
I'm sorry you're not yet done with the booger, but I know you'll get through this, too!

There's a great discussion right now in the Pre-Treatment section about (among other things) the options around Boston for radiation treatments.  Phyl has some very comprehensive posts about the subject.  Click over to http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4039.0 to read what others have been saying.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

MLB57

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:21:38 pm »
 :)Hi Jimmy--I had a 1 cm rt AN removed Jan 2001 (retrosigmoid at UMassMed Ctr, Worc, MA) but residual was left and it's growing again and I am scheduled to start LINAC FSR at Mass Gen w/Dr Loeffler's team on Sept 10 for 25 days. I planned to have Gamma done w/Dr Noren in RI but when I had a consult w/Dr Loeffler he told me 50% chance of further hurting my facial nerve if I had GK and recommended FSR... If you ask him his opinion regarding Gamma and your situation, I'd like to know what he tells you...because as I understand your post you had no facial nerve damage...I will go ahead w/FSR (have done research--pubmed.gov is a good site) as I can't take a chance in further compromising my facial nerve..
Best wishes on your appointment w/Dr Loeffler... and whatever your final decision of further treatment will be--many good  options out there for radiation..    Regards, Mary from MA
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:12:29 am »
I will let you know about my consult on 9/12, but at that time you will have started your radiation. Please keep me posted on how it is going.

Thanks for the info katie. i will check it out.

Jimmy
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

wbcn34

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:21:09 pm »
hi jimmie good luck my mother just had her an removed from the same doctors has you   barker and mckenna  :)