Author Topic: 6 month questions  (Read 3183 times)

Little Sister

6 month questions
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:12:36 am »
September will be 6 months since my husband's surgery. I hope someone can give me a little insight to a couple of questions. He is unable to hold anything steady in his hands without shaking. For instance if he tries to connect two items together his hands shake so badly it is nearly  impossible to do. Also there is still a speech "situation". His speech is very slow and everything is not understandable. I understand it's only been six months, but can anyone share info with me? We go back to the surgeon the middle of September but I wanted to be informed by those that have experienced the same situation. Thanks to all who will reply.

palms0@hotmail.com

Re: 6 month questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:12:25 am »
hi my husband's surgery was 14 mos ago and his speech is better but he still has palsy on that side so he does have some trouble with a few words but pretty much you can understand him, he notices it more than we do. his manual dexterity came back pretty quickly, his hands seem to be fine now. what type of surgery did your husband have, his age , size of tumor all play a piece of the puzzle . does he have any headaches or pain from the incision?
wishing him a complete recovery
hang in there i know how hard it is to see someone you love suffer
meb
9mm retro sigmoid drs. evans and willcox jefferson hosp phila
facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
i was a 46 yo happy active man, now this surgery has ruined my life
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!
ps still have 4mm enhancing area :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 month questions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 02:39:28 pm »
Hi, Library Lady:

I haven't had your husband's experience regarding speech and shaking hands but my neurosurgeon did countless, basic neurological tests on me in the days, weeks and months following my surgery.  Despite a rapid and seemingly complete recovery, I always had a slight neurological deficit but by my last test (June) I was back to normal.  These things do take time. 

I would expect that your doctor would perform the same kinds of tests on your husband.  I don't believe a post-op patient should have these issues at 6 months but it does occur, as you can see.  More information on his pre-op condition, size of the tumor and type of surgery would be of some help. 

I hope your husbands neurological problems can be resolved in time.  I'll certainly pray for him and you, as his advocate and main support.  Please stay connected to this forum and let us know how things are going, especially following your doctor visit next month.

Thanks.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.