Author Topic: At least some hearing is better than none  (Read 3682 times)

Boppie

At least some hearing is better than none
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:04:14 pm »
I have read some comments and questions about which is better ...choosing a treatment that preserves hearing (if possible), or severing poor hearing.  In my opinion, one should opt for preservation of some hearing.  I agree that word recognition can be very poor but some sound is better than no sound in the affected ear.   At least direction finding is aided with sound.  Doctors will always make facial nerve preservation a priority. 

SSD might result, however,  A lot depends on the positon, size or tumor, patient health, and age.  But, when given a choice, hold out for some hearing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:21:12 am by Boppie »

sgerrard

Re: At least some hearing is better than none
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:34:14 pm »
Thanks, Boppie. I have a bit of hearing loss in my non-AN side, as well as some in my AN side, and I feel like I want to hang on to everything I can. Although my weak ear is already fairly weak, I certainly notice the difference it makes if I hold it closed for a moment. Now all I need to know is how best to hang onto it...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:41:55 am »
Boppie,
I couldn't agree more.  My doctors were so fixated on preserving facial nerves that they felt hearing was less important!  I would rather have hearing!  After two years, the things they were saving are going South.  My eye drops, my face twitches and sags on the my AN side.  Doctors, get your priorities straight!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

jtd71465

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:12:18 am »
Very interesting.  I have some hearing (32% speak recognition) and no facial issues.  Would I trade my facial functions for all my hearing at this point, based on our society I would so no.  No one knows that I had surgery 7 months ago...except for an occasional "what"?  When I was in the consulting phase of my AN, all doctors would tell me that I didn't want and facial nerve issues....I don't, and based on true stories on the forum which I have read I would bet those individuals would trade their hearing for full facial nerve function.

Don't get me wrong, it would have been great to have walked away with both...but as the shirt says..."life is good"

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 07:32:59 am »
Gotta agree with you there Joe - I can deal with the SSD - it's mildly annoying when someone calls my name & I turn the wrong way, or can't understand what anyone is saying in a crowd compared to all the issues facial paralysis brings.  I don't mean to minimize SSD, but given the choice ....  unfortunately I have both & believe me, this facial paralysis is a real bummer.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:15:17 am »
Bravo (my applause for your tenacious courage) to all of you who ended up with serious facial issues.  I was one of the lucky ones, my face nerves were only weakened and straightened out very quickly. 

I can't blame my doctor.  I elected Translab and he went after the tumor at my request.  But I still grieve for natural directional hearing.  I am lucky to have a good ear with a slight loss. :-[
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:01:08 pm by Boppie »

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:46:32 pm »
My doctor gave me choices and left it to me to decide if I wanted to lose hearing
or risk the facial nerve complications... I opted for saving the facial nerves ... I have
had a few post opt facial nerve issues and I am down to just the eye not wanting to
stay shut when I sleep... what hearing was left in the AN ear was distracting because
it was not only less but distorted... in crowds I would cover it to hear better with
good ear... without the odd distorted hearing I actually hear better if that makes sense
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery