Author Topic: eye drops and ointments  (Read 5183 times)

Karen

eye drops and ointments
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:06:12 pm »
What are some of the good brands people have tried.  I have been using Refresh Celluvisc and they are so sticky my eye lashes get all gunky and hard.  I need to use the preservative free kind.  Any suggestions?  I uses them every two hours or mores often since I have no feeling in my eye.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: eye drops and ointments
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 07:33:56 am »
Hi Karen:  As far as drops go, I found Systane to be one of the best - my opthamologist said I could use it as often as necessary.  Unfortunately eye drops just sit along my lower lid then fall out (like my tears) due to facial paralysis, which is why I use (99.9% of the time) Refresh PM lubricant (talk about sticking to your eyelashes!!) - the lubricant stays over the cornea much longer than drops.  If you can get by with drops, that's excellent !! - much less blurry vision with drops vs. lubricant.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

blre

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:29:58 pm »
The best eye drops that I've used so far are Bion Tears Lubricating Eye Drops for Serious Dry Eyes.  They are preservative-free.  I have to put the drops in alot, but they help.  Gels tend to create strings in my eyes.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:05:58 pm »
I, too, have been using the Bion Tears Lubricating Eye Drops for Serious Dry Eyes and they help me a lot; my eyes are feeling much better.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:38:56 am »
My doctor told me about Lacri-Lube...blurred vision but stays in there until of course it falls out...
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

Ellenmn

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 02:40:13 pm »
Well the ointment the doctor gave worked but the drops hurt when I put them in and din't  work. I changed to Alcon TEARS Naturale FORTE durning the day and GenTeal Gel at night. Both are for Severe dry eye relief and seem to work really well. The Gel doesn't leave the heavy film on my eye in the moring that the ointment did. There is a bit of a crusty discharge in the morning but it doesn't last long and I seem to need the heavier product at night or the drops don't work as well during the day. They are preservative free.

Just for reference I have a gold wieght in my eye lid.