Author Topic: Does this mean my AN is growing??  (Read 6207 times)

sloxana

Does this mean my AN is growing??
« on: July 29, 2007, 04:49:18 pm »
Hi everybody
This may be a really dumb question but lately I feel my tinnitus is getting louder.  I was just diagnosed with an AN on July 9 and never really paid much attention to the noise in my right ear until then.  But ever since being diagnosed I feel like it's getting louder.  My husband thinks I'm just more aware of it now and that it probably isn't louder.  I don't remember any loud noise setting it off just an increase for no apparent reason.  So now I'm wondering if this is because my AN is growing.  I've read that sometimes they do grow faster than the "normal" 2mm a year.  Also, I'm having more frequent headaches. 

So what do you all think?  Am I going crazy here?  Could it be growing?

Feeling a little bit of panic,
Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt

linnilue

Re: Does this mean my AN is growing??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »
Tinnitus varies in volume and tone constantly.  Some hours and some days are better or worse than others.  And sometimes you aren't even aware of it, but it's there.  I agree with your husband, because you are newly diagnosed you have a heightened awareness and fear associated with it which is something all of us experience.  This is a very scary time, ther's no two ways about.  Fear and anxiety are at their worst and so symptoms can increase simply due to stress.  After awhile the tinnitus will become tolerable and your awareness of it will diminish.  I  hope this is reassuring.  I still have tinnitus, tonight it's very loud but I've been stressed and I'm exhausted and this is typical for me.  You too will probably notice a pattern over time.  I hope your night is quieter for you.   
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Betsy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 07:22:21 pm »
Hi Susan,

Good question.  I wish there was some way to gauge the volume of tinnitus.  I know my tinnitus is an E-flat, so I've been able to monitor that part of it, but I can't tell if the overall volume has changed.  I know what you mean about being more aware of it.  I had tinnitus for years and never thought about it much until all these doctors started asking me about it!

ANs can go through periods of faster growth, but from what I've read that's fairly rare.  The only way to know for sure is to have another MRI, so follow-up is important.

When I was first diagnosed (way back in April) I tended to blame every ache and twitch on my AN.  I think that's probably a pretty normal thing to go through when you first learn you have one of these things.  It takes awhile to adjust to the idea that you have an AN, and you may feel crazy...but you're not.  It's just a crazy situation.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

comfortzone

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:36:22 am »
You're rigth it's a crazy situation! I was diagnosed with my AN a year ago and without being aware of it, I started clenching my jaw which was creating a jaw disorder that has the result of ear pain and tinnitus! I was sure iT was all the AN but thena dentist gave me a mouth guard to sleep with and the ear aches and most of my headaches are way better. I can't get rid of that tinnitus though.   
8 mm left side AN Retrosigmoid surgery with Dr Akagami at Vancouver General Hospital April 3, 2014 SSD

sloxana

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:27:00 am »
Thanks everybody!  You made me feel a lot better.  It's great to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this!  I guess I'm not going crazy (even though my kids may disagree !  :)  )

Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:18:54 pm »
Susan,

Tinnitus, I believe, has a number of other contributory factors rather than being caused by your AN. In my case, I didn't have any tinnitus with my AN, it was only after surgery that my tinnitus came on. I know of a number of people with tinnitus and they don't have an AN.

The surgeon that did my op who i sacked but thats another story, told me that there are thousands of fibres in the ear canal and through the surgery, those got damaged. This caused the hearing loss and with the hearing loss came the tinnitus.

Betsy's right, have an MRI and put your mind to rest. You could also go for another hearing test to see if there has been any change.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz