Author Topic: Effects of high altitude ???  (Read 2625 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Effects of high altitude ???
« on: July 26, 2007, 11:28:33 pm »
Okay, this is a fairly strange question and I'm not sure it really belongs in this section, but I thought I'd throw it out there and hope for some feedback.

I am about 8 weeks post op and will be traveling to Denver next week for business.   People tell me that high altitudes can make you lightheaded, nauseaus, dizzy, etc., until you get used to them - usually takes a few days.  As an AN patient who experienced some of these things right after my surgery, and who occasionally still experiences them, I'm wondering if I'll be more susceptible to altitude problems.  I'm also wondering if, due to the surgery, these altitude problems will not go away in a few days.  I know everyone is different, but does anyone have any experience with this?

Also some coworkers have invited me to go to Pike's Peak with them via railroad - no mountain climbing or hiking involved - and I'm wondering if the extreme altitude will have any adverse effects on my healing head.  I'm thinking that the "hole" in my skull is sufficiently healed at this point, but is that a bad assumption on my part?  I mean, it is covered by a titanium plate, so I'm not being frivilous, am I ?  ???

My doc gave me the okay to fly 4 weeks post op and he knows I'm going to Denver, but it never dawned on me to ask him about altitude or possible skull issues.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy01

Re: Effects of high altitude ???
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 08:29:33 pm »
We live at 4500 ft and often go skiing at about 8000 ft.  Occasionally I feel a little off balance when I first get out of the car but typically have had no altitude issues.  (Went to 12000 ft this year and had fewer negative reactions than many of my fellow travelers.  Had surgery about 14 years ago, deaf on the left side; nerves for balance were destroyed and facial nerve never fully recovered.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:07:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking I'm worrying needlessly, but I just want to be prepared.  Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens, and take it as it comes.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:35:52 am »
Hi Jan,

My understanding is that you should be fine... I know of folks that flew cross country to House Ear Institute in CA... had their surgeries, flew home and did fine.

For me, I did have an issue with altitude (43k feet) 8 mos post CK flying from the states to the UK...but, different AN treatment, individual results may vary.

Have a good trip and hope it's uneventful for you.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Crystal

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:08:17 pm »
I flew home from LA to seattle after surgery.  The pressure and height made no difference.  I just flew to California a couple of weeks ago.  No difference on the plane.  Don't worry about it!
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:35:32 pm »
Thanks to all who posted a response to my question.  I'm happy to say that I survived my trip to Denver without any real problems.  The day I arrived I went with some colleagues to Pike's Peak and although my head hurt a lot, I wouldn't have missed it for the world - the view was incredible  :)  I had a few headaches during my stay, but I'm not sure whether it was the altitude, working too much, many late nights, stress, or just a drink or two (something I'm not used to).  Whatever.  All's well that ends well  ;D

Jan