Author Topic: New Transear user seeking advice  (Read 3225 times)

Cynaburst

New Transear user seeking advice
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:40:33 pm »
I got my new Transear today!  I lost my hearing due to surgery to remove a large AN on my right 5.5 years ago, and have been making do with one ear, but I am excited to try this new device and hear some more over there.

My audiologist who has fitted about 5 or 6 of these devices in the past wants me to start out really slowly and only wear the device for 1 hour today, and increase by 1/2 hour every day, and also he wants me to only wear it around my house for the first week or two.  Does anyone have any comments or observations about those recommendations?

Did you experience sensory overload when first wearing the device?  Might it be worse for me not having any input on that side for the last 5 years?

All advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Cynthia

matti

Re: New Transear user seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:24:25 pm »
Hi cynthia - When I received my transear, my audiologist did not attach any restrictions with it.  I have heard for some that as with any aid it might be uncomfortable at first and it is a good idea to give the canal a rest if you experience any pain. how is your fit?

I was 8 years post op (SSD) when I got my transear and it did take a few days for my brain to process and adjust to the new input of info. I think it was on day 5 that I noticed the sounds of my typing took on a different tone. Each day seemed to add a little more. For some, not sure their post op status or if that has anything to do with it, but they adjusted alot more quickly.  I did not experience any sensory overload. I kept testing the device by turning it on and off to see what or any changes I noticed. It will certainly never mimick what we lost in hearing, but once you get used to it, you will notice a difference when not wearing it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:41:13 pm »
Hi Cynthia,

Congratulations on getting your TransEar.  Everyone is different and your audiologist knows you better than I do, but I'll share what happened with me.  I got my TransEar about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon.  It fit perfectly.  I wore it the rest of the day, starting out in a restaurant.  The next day I wore it all day in school.  (I'm a teacher.)  I've pretty much worn in every day, all since then.  The only time I take it out is when I'm likely to get wet.  Like Cheryl says, you tend to notice it the most when you are not wearing it.  By the way, I had been without my hearing about a year and a half when I got my TransEar.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:11:09 pm »
Cynthia, We are each unique, but, my audiologist recommended working up on the wearing time much like learning to use the older contacts.  I wore my aid to restaurants, meetings, and church in the first few weeks, but not all day long. 

As I was under the gun to get fitted before I went on Medicare, I wore mine a lot at first and got a sore spot that needed to heal.  But owies only appear in the beginning, if the fit needs adjusting.  Since your audiologist has fit several TransEars you are getting good individualized support. 

I agree, the sound is as close to normal as we can get.  It sounds faint in the beginning and increases as your brain recognizes that stuff is coming in.  Then, the AHA moment transitions you to adjust to a bit more volume. 

You will probably go back to the audiologist for a check up and you can get the volume and programming tweaked and evaluated. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:15:40 pm by Boppie »

Cynaburst

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 09:42:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice Boppie.  I have been wearing the Transear for about 2 weeks, and have followed the gradual break in advice for the most part.  I wore it today for about 9 hours or so and yesterday for about 7 or 8.  I do feel like I could handle some more volume as I tend to wear it around 3 and sometimes even turn it up to 4, although I can feel the vibrations up that high.

I am definitely getting benefit from it.  It is not as good as the good ear by any stretch, but it definitely helps out.  I can have my husband talk softly into my bad ear and tell what he is saying, and have had a couple of phone conversations on the bad ear when my phone is turned up loud and I even managed to catch someone's gossip whisper at work the other day which is what I have missed the most these last few years!