Author Topic: things associated with tmj....... and facial things... wind and cold or heat...  (Read 4918 times)

Windsong

I wasn't sure where to put this and I am also not sure if  I can get a link in here but I'll try....

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2179.0

ok it's there and you may be wondering why i am putting up a link from here that has to do with cold weather as right now ...  ;D most of us are dealing with hot summer heat.....

but I was wondering if any of you get the same sort of response on your face from a very hot summer wind as you did with a cold winter one? ... I do...

also, I know from reading here and elsewhere, that  a number here at some point in their An journey whether pre or post An, have mentioned a TMJ angle that has come up with either pain or symptoms pre or  post An treatment  that have been explained by having a tmj problem....

I noticed in my reading of some things while googling, that studies have been and are being done with tmj and they are pointing fingers at things like the neuroendocrine sytem, immune system, and local cell responses related to tmj disorders.....specifically, with respect to modulation of pain and inflammation in tmj and orofacial structure etc.....( I assume that means that nerves can be affected too)... and all that made me  wonder if some of the tmj replies some have gotten from regular docs when they bring up symptoms on their An side and with respect to problems in their jaw  or face or around that area, may be related in some way to their An  ... surgery from An does happen in that area, and radiation does happen in that area inside our heads... maybe our nerves act up not from radiation or surgery per se but from some thing that happens on a biomolecular level that somehow is connected to inflammation and /or pain on a cellular level and then spreads out either in a small fashion or in a bigger way......

I figure that research is leaping ahead so fast that maybe a lot of answers will come sooner than we think......

i got sidetracked I see as usual...

anyway, would like to know if a hot summer wind affects others as does a cold winter one....

Cheers,
windsong

Dana

• Hi!
Well....responding to your "side-track" on TMJ, I think that having the GK frame/rack put on three weeks ago made a TMJ situation that started two months ago worse.  Not a cause, but an aggravation.  My TMJ problem is on the opposite side from my AN, but the frame hurt the most on this TMJ side.  I'm going to a therapist who specializes in TMJ on Monday, so I'll report back what she thinks.  She actually knew what an acoustic neuroma was when I mentioned it on the phone!  Yeah!
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Windsong

Hi Dana,

How are you doing now after your Gk treatment? ( other than the jaw/tmj?)  I know it's not all that long ago  that you began your search for answers and treatment. I think it's great that you have a  therapist who knows what an acoustic neuroma is.... I think bds like this help loads in bringing awareness about it generally along with the wonderful support and help that so many get in so many ways...even one_ to five years ago things were not as well known about acoustic neuromas as they are now....

Thanks for replying in this thread about the tmj angle.....

And I hope that yours settles down soon.

I'm beginning to think that more of us might keep track of opposite-side-to-An symptoms due to the cross -over effect that happens in a number of other health issues. I think that when we have a known "thing" keeping our focus on it, that we tend to dismiss things happening on the other side as it isn't the diagnosis we are presently dealing with etc.. But maybe we should all be
noting them enough if they bother us enough to mention them to our doctors especially if they echo symptoms from the original side...

Let us know how you fare and  the feedback you get about your jaw stuff on the other side to your An....

Take care and  best wishes for healing all.
W.

Dana

• Hi!
Windsong,

I'm doing pretty good.  Some fatigue, a little queasy, but nothing bad by any means.  I agree that "opposite side" things might well be related, although in this case I think it's a "same side" thing because the placement of rack was definitely more painful and more invasive (bigger hole in forehead) on the same side as my TMJ problems (even though my AN is on the other side).

I'm really looking forward to seeing if anything positive shows up in September MRI I'm scheduled for.  I know it can take years to show any effects; I'm not unrealistic.  But I'm very much at peace with my decision to go GK, even though I made it quickly.  Deciding things quickly is my style, and if you remember I've had lots of experience with physical brain surgeries with family members.  It's marvelous what surgeons can do, and how people recover from it, but my observation is that it can cause lots of OTHER things to happen that then have to be dealt with, so it just wasn't for me since I didn't have to go that route.  And since my AN was of a size and location that GK would probably deal with it, I thought I might as well go ahead and do it. 

I have no input on the effect of wind, hot or cold.  I've lived in both -- currently on ocean in Pacific Northwest where it blows almost every day, sometimes up to 70 mph.  Otherwise have lived in So. Calif -- as child in San Bernardino, desert country, where we'd get out of school if it was 110 degrees by 1pm!  But I've always had subtle sinus problems, tension headaches, TMJ aches and pains, so I've just adapted to all that and can't really discern anything about wind.  I guess I stay indoors alot!

Thanks for writing back.  This is such a great board.  I've tried to extend it beyond us computer folks -- my family doctor had just had another patient with an AN, but this other patient is not a computer person.  So our doc hooked us up and I talk to her on the phone, and send her literature and info from this board and ANA organization, as well as other internet sources recommended here.  I feel good about that.  Raydean lives within 45 minutes of us, and the other Seattle folks have welcomed me off the board, so I'm hoping that sometime in the next year we can get together for lunch or something.  But staying connected online is wonderful.

Thanks again,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.