Author Topic: plastic surgery for facial paralysis  (Read 17162 times)

TP

Re: plastic surgery for facial paralysis
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:52 pm »
When I met with my neuro Dr yesterday to review my MRI I told him I wanted my good eye to be lifted to match my bad eye (side of face where there is paralysis). He said he couldn't see anything wrong with my face and that I looked good (that was his words). I told him some folks have had botox. I said I was considering that but after being around my friends who have had botox (they don't need it but they think they do) they look sorta like they have no facial expression so now I am reconsidering that for a while. In any event, I want to look into possibly plastic surgery, just not sure what they would do. So I am also curious as to what folks on this forum have done. In addition, my lips are not chapped but very very dry. I wear the lipstick in a tub that looks like mascara. It has a wand, I find that it moisturizes and looks good too. Initially after my surgery I kept chap stick (really strong kind) next to me at all times but over time it has gotten a little better.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 04:40:45 am »
Hi TP:  I haven't had the plastic surgery yet, but I am going to Dr. Patrick Byrne at Johns Hopkins - he does alot of work on people with facial paralysis - you can google his name & go to his before/after pictures to get an idea.    I'll be able to really see the results after about 4 months.   My surgery date is 11/20.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 10:09:26 pm »
Hi All, I dont get dry lips  my problem was  kind of a snarl like my muscles I guess tightened up  but they gave me Botox shots. Maybe that would work reverse I dont know but Idea. My insurance would not pay for any cosmetic surgery.  Maybe yours will?????? :(
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Juliette

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 11:00:04 am »
Hi
I don't know were your from but here in canada (Quebec) my doctor told me it was standar to do surgery to replace everything at it's rightful place after An surgery. He told me that I should prepare my self for at least 1 to 2 surgeries a couple of months after the AN surgery to replace my facal nerve and recover a full smille. And all of it paid by the health insurance.

I also know a woman here in my region that had it done a few months ago and everything seems to be going just great.

good luck whit your recherche hope you find an anwser. ;)

Julie
31 years old
3,2cm x 3 cm AN diagnose in march 2007
translab surgery on 0ctober 17, 2008 in CHUM à montreal
with BAHA

Hopefull

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 06:13:03 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new to the site,  I had surgery on my face about 7 months ago.  I had a gold plate put in my eye lid,  my bottom lid lifted, and my rt cheeck lifted.  Only thing is I still can't smile, I haven't been able to smile since 1991 its been a long time.  I am still trying to cope.  I live in the Phila area, my last surgery was at jefferson hosp. by a Dr. Pribitkin.  He did wonderful job.  But I am still hoping for a smile.  If anyone has some advice please share.   :-\

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 07:44:06 pm »
Hi Hopeful:  I just answered you in a personal message.   As you can see from my reply a few people back, I'm having surgery 11/20 with Dr. Patrick Byrne.  Please google his name & look at the before/after pictures.  Also google temporalis tendon transfer for information about this wonderful new procedure for those of us with chronic facial paralysis.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 08:57:28 pm »
Nancy, if I recall you were having surgery last week. Please let us know how you are doing? I have been thinking about you and send you warm wishes!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 11:25:55 am »
Has anyone heard from Nancy Ann yet?

She had her facial surgery on Nov 20 ... today being the 28th.

She has been on my mind all week...

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

TP

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 11:27:07 am »
I have been wondering the same. NANCY - ARE YOU OK? WE ARE THINKING OF YOU!!

Jan D

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 11:31:37 am »
Hi from a newbie on the site.

There were a lot of topics covered in this question, so I'll try to address some of them from my experience:

1.  Help for the eye -  my right eye does not close, and early on (probably 2-3 years after surgery), I had one stitch done to raise my lower lid and about one year later, another stitch done.  This was done by an Opthamalogist as outpatient surgery.  It has definitely helped.  The healing was fast.  Another thing that I had done about 2 years ago (at the suggestion of another Opthamalogist) was a "plug" in the tear duct.  It's very easily placed (can't see it) and helps hold the artificial tears in longer without spilling out.  Another thing that helps me is my "crocodile tears" when I eat - I have to be hungry though!  This is pretty embarrassing at restaurants, but it's just another inconvenience and creates interesting dinner conversation!  Lubricant is a must every night and I don't bother removing all of it in the morning because it helps keep the eye moist during the day.  Eye makeup is impossible because of this.  I highly recommend the sunglasses too and I wear regular glasses during the day - helps keep things out of the eyes.  I basically "baby" my eye and it has paid off.

2.  I was 15 when I had my AN removed, had zero movement on the right side of the face so they decided to do a nerve graft (to my shoulder/neck muscle) about a year after the surgery.  After a few months, it gave me a little movement with much concentration.  Because I was so young, I really didn't pay attention to the technical names of the surgeries and cannot quote the terms as fluently as others on this site.  I have lived with this limited (very unsatisfactory) movement for 40+ years until I found Diana Farragher in England last summer.   I've started using the Neuro 4 transmitter and have seen some improvement.  It's a really long, arduous process though.  You can find more information on her website and I definitely recommend her book "Loss of Face".  www.dianafarragher.co.uk.

Nancy Ann - I admire your spunk and am in awe of all of the information that you provide to the others.  I'm glad that the T3 surgery worked for you.  Because I had some movement (after the shoulder/facial anastamosis in 1967), I was always reluctant to have them "cut" again on me. 

Best wishes to all,
Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 03:00:17 pm »
Jan D,

Re
"You can find more information on her website and I definitely recommend her book "Loss of Face".  www.dianafarragher.co.uk."

Where can us ,living in the USA, get a hold of this book... any ideas? I'd love to read it.

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jan D

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 10:45:44 am »
Dear "4" and all -

You can order the book on her website.  She takes credit cards   :)

Be prepared with a box of tissues when you read it though!

Happy Valentines Day!

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.