Author Topic: question  (Read 2731 times)

shim

question
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:35:05 am »
I had GK 4 months ago and noticed a month ago my ringing has increased in volume,other
then that everything is the same.
once in awhile I have a feeling of unsteadiness nothing major.
does this sound normal???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:39:23 am by shim »

linnilue

Re: question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »
This is all very normal and if this is all you have to put up with, you are one lucky person.  And I don't mean that sarcastically.   The ringing never really goes away, the volume however changes constantly and soon you will not even be aware of it until the volume or tone goes up.  The imbalance will get better with time but I might suggest that you get a referral to a vestbular rehab. therapist who specializes in this.  Many people have to go for rehab where you will learn excercises to help with the unsteadiness.  It does get better with time.  Good Luck.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:28:09 pm »
Yep,

Your brain has actually suffered trauma from the radiation even though you never felt it.  The radiation can cause swelling and fatigue that’s why they put you on a steroid after your treatment.  Increase in tinnitus is common as well; all a small price to pay as long as the tumor shrinks, or doesn't grow anymore.

I've experienced increased tinnitus, fatigue, even mood changes.  But overall I'm OK...and I'm sure you’ll be too.   :)

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:46:32 am »
Hi Shim and welcome.  Glad you found us to help you along this journey.

The tinnitus can enhance post treatment (regardless of type of treatment). Everyone is correct in that is can continue, enhance, etc.  Seems it can all be a part of having an AN.  Mine is intermittent and have found other topics here (check out the "Hearing' forum) or do a "Search" for tinnitus.... you will see threads/posts by a great number of folks that share their experiences with it prior to treatment as well as post treatment.  Hang in there and hoping you are doing ok.

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:47:08 pm »
You know it's a funny thing- only in the past month- and I am almost 7 months post CK that I feel light headed.  I did get my eyes checked and I got new percription sunglasses!  So that helps with driving, but now if I am at the computer, I get light headed for a moment, then it goes aways.

My tinnitus is about the same- dull humm during day, more high pitched at night, but nothing outrageous.  If I have had a long day, I do feel more fatigued.

I am also on nasal medication which as the same side effects.  My ear throbs if I don't take the medication, so I know it is somewhat sinus related but then I've got a tumor plugging the whole canal so it's not like my sinus can drain properly anyways. Also if I have a lot of sodium, my ear and lower jaw throb... like a whole bag of potato chips.  I also get throbbing when I drive a lot, but I know that's me clenching my jaw rather than the tumor.

Long way of saying, yeah what you are experiencing is normal.

My latest remedy- lots of water and or ice tea - this seems to help- go figure!

Take care of yourself- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys