Author Topic: Gamma Knife 7/11/07  (Read 3578 times)

mary07

Gamma Knife 7/11/07
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:48:26 am »
 Hello , Well  I got threw it , the only thing  I did not like was when they took the screws  out ,
pain like I never felt before and I am good with pain I cryed for the first time in a very long time
my whole head is sore numbness is going away slowly now I wait and Pray it shrinks this pain in my you know what . In 3 mo. I go for an MRI  so we will see what the doc says . It was an experience I will never forget .  Keep me in your prayers ....
                                                Mary

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: Gamma Knife 7/11/07
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:15:44 am »
Congrats on getting through it Mary, I go in for GK on 7/17

Betsy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:23:41 am »
Mary, you did it!  Congratulations!  I do hope the soreness is short lived and you can put the whole experience behind you quickly.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

mary07

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:35:05 am »
Hello again,
           I have ringing in my ear alot worse, the hearing might be alittle less than what it was
but I dont notice much difference well it is only 3 days after the fact. They did  have my head numbed up and after word I asked for  pain meds   so they gave it to me and an  ice pack. I had been getting pain in the back of my neck and I am wondering if after they took the screws out
if  it had something to do with the nerves back there and that is why it hurt so bad I guess i'll never know . But I did it and now I hope and pray   it shrinks  and leaves me alone  :)
                                                                                                               Mary

gordy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 01:42:58 pm »
mary i hasd it done the day after you. i think your neck was sore from it holding up the frame. we artent use to that. i felt it the most when they were locking me into the machine. how large was your trumor and how many zaps did they do? hope your doing better.

mary07

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 06:05:39 pm »
I think they changes that hood about 3x's I was really druged up so I 'm not clear of  alot I did not ask the size   at that point but I can tell you it is small yet, but growing.               Mary

Richey

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 07:53:45 pm »
Mary, Sounds like you had more pain than I did when I had GK but the numbness in my head from the shots lasted a good while, hard to remember exactly now but between one and two months but it did eventually go away.

What you need to think about now is that this is a long term process and you will have to wait and see how things go. I had my treatment in Feb. 05 and I have been in a holding pattern since the second MRI at the six month after GK. What I have come to understand now is that I must be satisfied at this point that I have had no growth of the tumor since that of August 05. I'm waiting a year before getting my next MRI and that will be in Feb 08.

Your brain will teach itself to compensate for some of the problems that AN's cause. I lost my hearing on that side but I have gotten a bi-cross hearing aid and I do OK. My balance which was my first indication that I had a problem has gotten better and I have learned that I do have some limits that I need to take into consideration.

Just try and be a trooper and adapt as much as you can. Time will help. I was disappointed at my last mri not showing shrinkage but I have heard from many people through the ANA after my letter in the mailbag section of the newsletter that made me realize how good I am doing by comparison to many others.

Hey, I got a new grand baby today, life is still Good.

Rich