Author Topic: How to Start a local support group  (Read 4731 times)

lifeisgood

How to Start a local support group
« on: March 02, 2005, 12:48:52 am »
Several people have indicated that they live too far to get to a local support group meeting.  If you are interested in starting a local support group, contact the ANA directly.  I started a new group in our area 4 months post surgery.  It's been an awesome way to connect with others. We meet 3 times per year.   We have between 18 and 30 at our meetings.  I was surprised to find out how many members of the ANA live within 25 miles of my house.  There were 65 potential attendees and others who aren't member who have attended.
If you have a chance to get out to a meeting, it's a great way to connect with others who are in the same boat.  We have a mix of "watch and scan" folks, just diagnosed, post surgery and radiation candidate.
:) Mary from Napervlle, Il.
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

Raydean

Re: How to Start a local support group
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:08:33 am »
I'd like to add to Mary's posting.  if you're interested in starting a support group in your area please contact the National ANA office in Cummings Georgia.  They will train and assist you.  In fact they make it pretty easy. They will mail out meeting notices to ANA member within your area.  Meetings are generally held 3 to 4 times a year.  Most hospitals are very good about offering meeting space.
Speakers can be found within your area, or the ANA have symposium tapes that can help to get the conversation going

I believe that you have to be a member of ANA national organization to be a leader.  It's worth looking into and will be a blessing for many.

Best to a;;
raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.