Author Topic: Question?  (Read 3182 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
Question?
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:06:34 pm »
I'm just over 6 months post op and still have to use my hands to lift my head off my pillow in the morning, or up from the dentist's chair, should I still be so weak in that area? I had translab. Anyone else still experiencing this weakness? Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Question?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 07:16:25 am »
Hi Yvette,
  Did you have trouble lifting your head before surgery?  Is it a matter of strength or a matter of pain when trying to lift your head?  This sounds unusual to me-- at least I haven't heard of anyone unable to lift their head 6 months after surgery.  Check with your doctors, they may refer you to a Physical Therapist to help strengthen your neck muscles.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:01:40 pm »
Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. Just lack of strength, no pain. It has only been as such since surgery. I hadn't mentioned it to my docs since I figured it was probably expected (they do have to cut through some muscle for translab) and would most likely improve with time. Seems too long a time now though. Really... no one else was like this? Hmmm
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

tcrnko

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:48:18 pm »
I too am 6 months out.  Jan 10 was my surg date.  I am back to work, full speed ahead.  Occasional word searching and dyslexic typing are really my only challenges, (also SSD).  Get back to your doc.  You shouldn't be having this issue.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:07:11 pm »
Yvette,
 check w/ your doc.  I still have trouble 18 mos out but had neck issues before surgery. I know my muscles were very week for a long time after surgery. My head is still tender too and the hairdresser helps lift my head. The postion is what makes it difficult for me to lift. There are exercises you can do to strengthen those muscles. Simple one, place a balloon or soft object behind your head sitting in a chair against the wall and push your head back. feels good and strengthens at the same time!

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:24:44 pm »
Hey Batty Princess, My hair dresser also had to help me lift my head. It's that tilted position. I think I Will try some neck/head exercises, and perhaps a call to the doc is a good idea too. Especially since this doesn't seem to be common amongst you all. Funny how you don't want to call them for fear of having to go back in. My docs were great and I hope I never see them again! haha  Thanks all, Yvette

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 05:41:09 am »
Yvette,
My head still feels as heavy as a bowling ball and it is easier to roll to the side and lift than straight up.  My neck is strong, but my head feels like it weighs a ton!  No explanation from any of my docs.  PT hasn't helped in this area................................. so far

Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »
Hi Brendalu, yep, the roll thing is the only way sometimes! I tried to find pictures of the muscle areas that the docs cut through with translab, but Barnes and Noble didn't have anything detailed enough. I'm better than I was, so se la vie. Take care:-)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:10 pm »
Did you google to try to find that area?  I'm not good at the searches....I also find so many things I don't want and not near enough of what I do!  It is a thought though.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 10:38:34 pm »
Good idea, I'll try right now.