Author Topic: When to "Wait" and when not to.....  (Read 2052 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
When to "Wait" and when not to.....
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:37:18 pm »
Just wanted  to do  a  quick survey of those here that have had either radiation-therapy or  surgical procedures done already... for those of  us in wait mode, I'd love to know....

when did you decide it was to change from "wait" mode to "procedure"  mode and why? What procedure  did you opt for?

Thanks!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Bob Partak

Re: When to "Wait" and when not to.....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 09:36:17 pm »
HI Phyl,
My intention a year ago (June 04) was to wait and watch and repeat the MRI after 6mo.s.  My only symptom was hearing loss(had 44% word recognition on my left side), although I did have periods of fatigue, but I didn't relate that to my AN at the time. It was during this wait period that I decided to investigate my options and the more I read the more anxious I became. I developed insomnia, became more fatigued, and was basicly wearing myself down with the task of deciding what to do. I also noticed that my hearing was getting worse since I was turning the TV up louder than usual according to my wife. My feeling of continued degredation lead me to do somthing before the 6 mo.s was up. 
I discovered from the Cyberknife web site that Dr.Medbery was only 3 hr.s from my home and he associated with the docs at Okl.Univ. - a school I was a guest dental speaker numerous times, a preceptor faculty member. I called Dr.Medbery and he was able to see me within the week(courtesy). He spent over an hour talking to me about my condition and what he could and couldn't offer. He had me see the neurgureon their as well who also consulted with Chief of Audiology. Their opinions were that my hearing was not usable, my tumor was small (1cm) therefore CK would be my best option. I was not pressured in any way and from every thing I read I also leaned heavily on CK. I was treated with CK under Dr.Medbery's guidance in late Sept.04.
CK is no cake walk either. I developed severe vertigo with vomiting after the first dose???? Steroids calmed my symtoms so I could complete sessions 2 & 3. It took several months for me to begin feeling somewhat normal however I was always able to drive, walk the dogs, read, etc. I just didn't feel GOOD and I lost about 10 #s because I didn't eat a lot. Today I am 90+% of normal, however I did lose all my hearing on my left side. Balance is good except maybe a little uneasy in the dark, mild episodes of fatigue, and having the most difficulty with hearing out of one ear - a real pain. Oh, I also have a very mild tick or muscle spasm on my left face(lasts a min. or so about once every 5 to 6 days) due to facial nerve irritation - indicates the tumor could be dying and the swelling could be an irritant.This should be temporary, I hope anyway.  I hope this helps, I wish you well. Bob