Author Topic: Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade!  (Read 276296 times)

LisaM

Re: Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade!
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »
Something told me to stop by the W&W Brigade tonight...  Excellent news Derek!  May we all follow in your footsteps... while going on a daily walk as prescribed n your Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade! Here's to your health!
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

dragonmama

« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2012, 08:53:20 am »
Cheers to the poster boy and gal for W&W!! The kind of news that makes my day!

Gael
Left SSD since 2010
Diagnosed 7/2011
Retrosigmoid 21 June, 2013
AN 2 cm
Left side palsy from stretched 7th nerve
Chronic neck pain, muscle spasms, headaches

Derek

« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2012, 01:50:04 pm »
Thanks for your collective encouraging comments which are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jackie

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »
Great news Derek,

We all who are a part of the W and W brigade, toast a hearty congratulations to your regimen results! It's 5 and a half years for me, hopefully I will show some reduction on my next one too! I am very pleased with stability!!!

May your Blessings continue, and to all ANer's the same!!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

millie

« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2012, 09:06:16 am »
Great news, Derek.  Thanks for the advice, the inspiration, the hope.  Millie

LisaM

« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
Greetings Fellow W&W Brigaders...

Wanted to share my exciting news...

I had my follow up MRI from my February 12th, 2012 MRI last week.  The AN continues to shrink!  Here are the VERY detailed measurements and report:

April 2011 = 2.0cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm (diagnosis measurements)

11/28/12 Report: " Once again seen is an extraaxial mass with avid enhancement in the left cerebellopontine angle with extension into the internal auditory canal, causing widening of the IAC.  However, there has been definite interval decrease in the size of the tumor.

Ten consecutive measurements were taken on the 3D Fiesta images starting at the most caudal portion of the root entry zone of the trigeminal nerve.  Ten consecutive measurements were done in the two dimensions (anteroposterior and transverse).

February 12 2012 = 10 x 6mm, 11 x 8mm, 11 x 8mm, 11 x 8mm. 12 x 12mm 13 x 13mm, 13 x 14mm, 13 x13mm, 13 x 14mm, 13 x13mm

November 28 2012 = 4 x 3mm, 5 x 3mm, 5 x 7mm, 6 x 8mm, 7 x 10mm, 6 x 11mm, 8 x 11mm, 9 x 11mm, 9 x 11mm, 9 x 12mm

Radiologist took very detailed measurements to be sure of the reduction and is now measuring in mm, not cm.  Most every measurement is less than a centimeter!  I've had each MRI done in the same place, same technician, same machine, same radiologist.

Though I'm experiencing some pretty loud tinnitus tonight (probably from my 6 year old screaming with excitement about getting Christmas tree) I am SO HAPPY!  I send you all shrinking thoughts!

xxoo,
Lisa M
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:33:31 pm by LisaM »
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

Derek

« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2012, 05:01:12 am »
Lisa... Just what we all want to hear, many congrats on your fantastic news and looking forward to continued shrinkage for you. Great Christmas present eh?...happy hols.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

millie

« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:33 am »
Great news, Lisa!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2012, 01:25:32 pm »
Congratulations, Lisa! :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #234 on: December 05, 2012, 09:37:59 am »
Way to go Lisa! This W+W journey of ours has been filled with many ups and downs. It`s really nice to here an up like youv`e had recently. Lets keep the faith of the W+W brigade with hopefully the best yet to come... Congrats! Best wishes, Mickey

Jackie

« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »
Loving to hear your great news of continued SHRINKAGE!!!! May those results continue for you and give Hope to others!!!

Jackie, finishing up my 6th year of W and W!!!
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Derek

« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:11 pm »
It's not too late to make a New Year resolution to make sure you look after your 'good' ear particularly so if you have single sided hearing loss...here are some simplistic tips worthy of adopting:-

Prevent accidental damage
----------------------------------
Never place any object into the ear in order to clean re danger of rupturing the eardrum..only insert your elbow ;D

Prevent noise trauma
---------------------------
Normal conversation is about 60 decibels. Exposure to noise making it difficult to hear a normal conversation means the level is around 90 decibels. Frequent exposure to this level can result in hearing loss. Avoid excessive noisy environments and use approved hearing protectors whenever applicable

Bacterial infection
----------------------
Commonly caused by water retention after swimming or showering etc...always 'shake out' excess water

Regular exercise
---------------------
Maintaining physical fitness will not only make you feel good but assists in fortifying the delicate hair cells in the inner ear essential to retaining hearing ability

Wax
-----

Whilst wax is essential to good ear health and any excess usually sheds naturally via the outer ear, occasionally a build up of wax can greatly impede hearing ability. A visit to the GP or GP practice nurse will verify if syringing or ear drops are required. Never use drops without prior medical examination and advice re frequency of administering etc.

Remember if you only have one fully functional ear you had better look after it... neglect it at your peril! :o

Best Regards

Derek 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:13:01 pm by Derek »

Stepphers

« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2013, 02:13:08 pm »
wow, reading this is really encouraging!  I am trying to walk more (pushing my kids in their stroller)!

Stepphers

« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:43 pm »
derek, you were saying somewhere else you have a specific diet you follow.  Where is the info on this if you don't mind saying?  tia!

Derek

« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »
derek, you were saying somewhere else you have a specific diet you follow.  Where is the info on this if you don't mind saying?  tia!

Hi Stepphers...

My general diet is really nothing more than an awareness of healthy eating and corresponding lifestyle. Plenty of fresh fruit / vegetables and oily fish - reduce intake of red meat /  salt / sugar / saturated fats / junk food - drink plenty of water - moderate alcohol consumption - no smoking -  take regular daily exercise and a few minutes each day completely relaxing with eyes closed and feet up...and that, combined with an 8 hours undisturbed night's sleep, just about does it for me!

Our good 'Brigade' friend Mickey also favours taking vitamin supplements and I am sure he will advise of his personal preferences.

Best regards

Derek