Author Topic: Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade!  (Read 276250 times)

Derek

Re: Top Tips For The 'Watch & Wait' Brigade!
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:04 am »
Hi all...

Thought I would share my own good news...just received confirmation that my recent annual MRI scan result indicates that my AN remains stable after 10 years since diagnosis and that there has been no change throughout the past few years. Hard to believe that I was advised to have 'early' treatment when originally diagnosed in 2002! 

Best Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

dragonmama

« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47:25 am »
It's sooooo great to hear that Derek!!! I'm glad for you. Your experience gives me hope for my future relationship with this wee critter. ;)

Gael
Left SSD since 2010
Diagnosed 7/2011
Retrosigmoid 21 June, 2013
AN 2 cm
Left side palsy from stretched 7th nerve
Chronic neck pain, muscle spasms, headaches

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:44 am »
Hi all...

Thought I would share my own good news...just received confirmation that my recent annual MRI scan result indicates that my AN remains stable after 10 years since diagnosis and that there has been no change throughout the past few years. Hard to believe that I was advised to have 'early' treatment when originally diagnosed in 2002! 

Best Regards

Derek

That is great news I feel now that I should have waited with a 1 cm but now I am definitely waiting with the 3 mm that was left behind.

Best Wishes,

Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

LisaM

« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2012, 12:09:06 am »
Keep the good news coming!  You started all of this Derek and I am thrilled to hear that you have good news AGAIN to report.  Congratulations!
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:17 am »
WTG! I loooooooooooooooooooooooove good news!  ;D
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Mickey

« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:37 am »
Great news Derek! Inspiration to keep W+W an important way to tackle AN`S. My 5th year coming up soon and hoping after this MRI I will go every 2 years. Feeling very good... My latest escapade is making red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, highest in antioxidents) with spring water. It takes a little time but is so easy to do, one nice glass a day. Best wishes, Mickey

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2012, 10:02:37 am »
Great news Derek! Inspiration to keep W+W an important way to tackle AN`S. My 5th year coming up soon and hoping after this MRI I will go every 2 years. Feeling very good... My latest escapade is making red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, highest in antioxidents) with spring water. It takes a little time but is so easy to do, one nice glass a day. Best wishes, Mickey

Hi, Mickey I am rushing a year I am telling everyone almost 6...haha.... but 5th is just as GREAT !!

dragonmama

« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »
This discussion forum needs a "like" button - I'm reading so many posts on this thread that I like and want to give a big thumbs up to!
Left SSD since 2010
Diagnosed 7/2011
Retrosigmoid 21 June, 2013
AN 2 cm
Left side palsy from stretched 7th nerve
Chronic neck pain, muscle spasms, headaches

rland

« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2012, 10:47:38 am »
Derek,

How did you self reduce from 2.5 cm to 1.5?

New member (left 1.5 cm)

Derek

« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:39 am »
Derek,

How did you self reduce from 2.5 cm to 1.5?

New member (left 1.5 cm)

Hi 'rland'...

I refer you to my post dated February 10th in this thread re the circumstances pertaining to the apparent reduction in the size of my AN. As to the reason?...given that the dimensions were, hopefully, correctly recorded upon diagnosis, then I can only speculate that the 1.5cm reduction is down to rigid adherence to my 'Top Tips' regime, a sensible diet and of course an element of good luck!  ;)

Best Regards

Derek 

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Mickey

« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:45 am »
Well put Derek!  To all in the W+W mode there is alot of substance in "Tips for W+W Brigade" created by Derek. It has been very benificial to me going into my 5th year and showing alot of improvement. Once you get involved you can include your own imput of things you can do which may be helpful. My AN has remained "stable" but anything is possible hearing at least a few people doing the same sort of things which have had reductions. Best wishes, Mickey

Derek

« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:44 pm »
Hi all...

Some further good news 18th June...

As previously mentioned, my recent MRI scan report indicated no significant change in the past 12 months. However my consultant has just informed me that there is a definite further reduction of about 2mm in the AN dimensions over this period. This is particularly pleasing as the last indication of any reduction was over 2 years ago so hopefully this very welcome new trend will continue  :)

Regards

Derek   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:51:54 pm by Jim Scott »

Mickey

« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »
Great news Derek! Your the 2nd person I spoke to this week who mentioned reduction while W+w. Mickey

Sheryl

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:57 am »
OMG - where have I been since you posted this a few months ago??  I guess I am keeping ahead of you from being diagnosed in 2001.  May the race continue and CONGRATULATIONS.  We can become poster gal and guy for the others in W&W.
Stay well,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:24 am »
Derek great news and hoping it continues to shrink.....

Best Wishes,