I think it is a very personal decision. When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was going to die, real soon, when I didn't die, I realized, hey, I still have some time left. Then I went through the denial stage. When the tinnitus wasn't bothering me, I just forgot about my AN. Then each year about a week before my annual MRI I would start to get nervous. When the report would come back, minimal or no growth I would revert to the denial stage. It wasn't until 5 years later that my AN decided to grow that I really took my situation seriously. There was no denying that this "THING" was growing.
It was then that I decided to research my options. Before that I would have never thought of looking on the internet for help. I thought I was the only one that had an Acoustic Neuroma. Had never heard of it before I was diagnosed with one. Through this website and the long hours of calling people (from my doctors referral list) that I began to come to terms with my AN.
I was now older and wiser and ready to make a decision. I chose surgery. By this time I was ready to deal with the consequences (possible hearing loss, facial paralysis, dry eye and balance problems) of my decision. I went into surgey with a peace that I can't explain. I knew that I had done all that I could do on my part and the rest was up to the doctors and God.
I came out of surgery and had every consequence that I listed above. I was told by my doctors that this was temporary and it was (other than 15% hearing loss). I have not regretted my decision to this day and if I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way.
It took me over five years to think about this. I believe that each one of you will know in your heart when the time is right! Ann