Author Topic: Getting evaluated for Transear this week!  (Read 5650 times)

Cynaburst

Getting evaluated for Transear this week!
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:47:59 pm »
I had my AN surgeries (translab for a 3+ cm. tumor) and implantation of VP shunt for hydrocephalus 5.5 years ago. 

I have no hearing in my right ear, but have not wanted to go the BAHA route due to other health issues and plus I just did not want to have anything else implanted in my skull!  I have been getting by o.k., but I am excited by the prospect of hearing something on that side again.

Does anyone have any advice for someone starting down the Transear path?  I have read all of the old posts about the device and am really hopeful.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Re: Getting evaluated for Transear this week!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:22:30 pm »
I got it, ashamed to say I don't wear it that much due to being uncomfortable. I only wear it for business meetings or when in crowded auditoriums.

Or when I want my wife to whisper my name to hear the dead side "become alive" :D
Still waiting for insurance reimbursement come through since it was 3200.$

They will also give you a magic box to put it in at night. It is used to take moisture away from the surrounding air so it does not damage the delicate instruments.

I would think humidity would kill the transear.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 06:34:06 pm »
ixta,
Go back to your audiologist and get the TransEar sanded and adjusted until it is comfortable.  You deserve to have it working without hurting!

One other point...I live in a totally humid climate.  Humidity doesn't interfere with my wearing it.  I put my TransEar in the Dry brick Sanitizer every time I wear it.   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:03:49 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:39:04 pm »
Cynaburst,
On the TransEAr site (TransEar.com)  you search with the locator to sell you a TransEAr.
If you can't get your own ENT/audiologist to sell you one, TransEar can help you by email.  An an audiologist will test your hearing and certify your need and ability to wear a TransEar.  You are probably a good candidate.

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 09:43:52 pm »
It's interesting to see the different prices people have to pay for their TransEars.  I check with two places that were by me.  Neither of them were working with TransEar at the time, but they were both willing to check into it.  The one closest to me quoted me a price of $2900.  The one I ended up going to charged me $2400.  That price included everything except for the hearing test which was covered by my insurance. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:42:15 am »
It's interesting to see the different prices people have to pay for their TransEars.....Jean
Maybe my quote of 3200 includes the "special box" they say I need to keep it in, did all transear people get that special night time box with a light and stone in it?

Bppie-yes
i did go to my audio 3x or more for sanding, but they say it needs to be a deep seated mold to conduct sound.
My ear has calcium deposits in it and makes for a tight fit, I personaly think it does not fit, it does not go flush to my outer ear due to poking painfully. then, when it vibrates it TICKLES LIKE HECK. Itches big time.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Cynaburst

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:49:18 pm »
Ixta -From what I have read, you should go back to the audiologist and tell them that it still doesn't fit right.  If they have to, you can have them make a new earpiece.  You shouldn't have to spend all of that $$$ and then leave the thing sitting in a box.

BTW, I was quoted $2700 for the Transear.

matti

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
I paid $2700 for my TransEar, but just received my refund as I am in the small group 3% that the device does not work for :(   I really think it could have worked, but I had too many fit problems (7 remakes) and an audiologist who wasn't the easiest to deal with. I would like to give it another try at some point, but with a different hearing device center.

Ixta - I really think you need another remake. You don't want to miss hearing those sweet nothings that your wife is whispering in your bad ear ;)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Cynaburst

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »
YEA!!!!  I just ordered my Transear.  I met with the audiologist this morning (he is new to me and has fit about 5 of these previously) and he says I am a perfect candidate.  I could really hear alot during the bone conducting tests and could make out most of the words he asked me to repeat, so I am really optimistic!

I hope that my experience is as good as Boppy's.  I will keep you all posted.

ChrisB

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:32:18 am »
I was quoted $3000, but after asking my audiologist (who had to check with the ENT doc) if they had any "wiggle room" on the price, was able to get it for $2700 (not including the ear mold - separate charge).  The price included the Dry&Store box (which I use every night).

I've had mine just under 6 months, and it's back for the 2nd time to the company (first time new wire and new processor, though my audiologist said the first time it was only the wire that was bad, so I don't know why a new processor came also).  Now it's in for a battery door that broke (small, thin portion that helps hold the small end of the battery in).  The first time was about two weeks, so I don't know what to expect this time.  I was also unable to wear it after just a couple of weeks.  It created a pretty significant ulcer in my ear canal that had to heal, and the ENT said to give it a full week before putting it back in.  So by the time I get it back this time, I'll have not worn it for at least a month out of the first six.

I can't stress enough what others have said - you need to get to know your audiologist well before ordering the device.  If s/he isn't patient and willing to work with you, you'll have an uncomfortable experience.

When mine works and I can wear it, it's great.  I don't hear my wife whispering softly in my bad ear  ;) , but my audiologist FINALLY got it programmed (just a week and a half ago) to where I can clearly (no distortion) hear normal volume voices and fully understand them if I plug my good ear tight (meaning I'm hearing it almost entire through the TransEar).  Before it was always somewhat distorted.

To say I'm a very satisfied customer would not be accurate.  I won't spend time/space here listing all that's been an issue with the experience, but I can say that I'd rather be with it than without it.  I'm concerned that too much had to be ground off when it caused the ulcer in my ear, and it may not fit as snugly as it could but still without causing discomfort.  I can push it in with my finger and get considerably more volume (i.e. bone conduction), and it can wiggle pretty easily up in the canal.  But I don't really know just how much more snug is reasonably possible, and with all the difficulties with the device and the audiologist, I'm just not willing to "push the envelope" and ask for a re-mold.

Would I spend the money again, knowing what I know now?  I don't know - probably not.  BUT, I don't know what the future holds.  If I can get the problems worked out finally, YES I'd spend the money again, if I can at least have it work at the level it was working after an extensive reprogramming about 1½ weeks ago.  Nothing's going to bring back "regular" hearing, and something is better than a dead ear on one side (in my case it was SSNHL, not AN).

I'm re-doing this last paragraph.  I just got off the phone with Ear Technology (makers of the TransEar).  It reminded me of my initial experience with them when I was trying to gather more information prior to getting it, the CROS, or nothing at all (couldn't afford the BAHA with insurance not covering a hearing aid under any circumstances).  They were terrific to talk with - patient and very informative.  I DON'T recommend going straight to them unless problems develop with the audiologist - but that further emphasizes the point I made above.  Get to know your audiologist before committing to the TransEar to the maximum extent reasonably possible.  That relationship will be very important.  I learned that probably too much was ground off when I wore the ulcer in my ear canal earlier this year.  The folks at EarTechnology told me they recommend only using a fine sandpaper, NOT a grinder, or too much will come off and bone conduction will be lost.  I also learned that programming is considerably different from an air conduction hearing aid.  To quote the Ear Technology representative to whom I spoke, "it's being programmed for the good ear, not the bad ear," and that apparently can throw off a number of audiologists at first.  And I've clearly had some real issues with programming, which is a problem at the audiologist-end, not the fault of the TransEar (assuming the device is working properly).  To be honest, I'm much more optimistic that this will get worked out.  I've had what may well be toward the bottom end of the scale in terms of things going right vs. wrong.  There are clearly some very satisfied people, and as I said in the original portion of this post, I'd rather be with it than without it.  But if I can get more out of it because it was built to provide more, I want it!

And I have even more confidence now that Ear Technology really is committed to making a quality product that makes a difference.  Just get a patient, and experienced audiologist.  And if they've never done a TransEar (or just one or two), just make sure they're willing to work with the company to get it right without stopping short of what could be better, just out of frustration.  Even if it's a first time for the audiologist, if they're patient, willing to learn, and will work with the company, it should still be a good experience.  Hopefully in another week or so I'll be much more happy. ;D

ChrisB
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:16:19 am by ChrisB »

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 08:11:59 am »
Chris,

Sorry to read that you've had so many problems with your TransEar.  It does make me appreciate my experience.  I've had no fitting problems.  The gain isn't like my old hearing, but I knew that it wouldn't.  I just tried plugging my ear to once again check how will the TransEar picks up sound.  I do that a lot.  Well, I plugged my good ear really well and wasn't able to hear anything.  THEN I realized I hadn't put the TransEar in yet for the day.  LOL  Mine is so comfortable it feels the same when it's in and when it's not. 
I'm waiting for the day they develop the "bionic ear" like Lindsey Wagner had in the Bionic Woman.  Remember that show?  I bet the CIA has some good listening devices that I would like to try.  :-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD