Author Topic: Surgery Preparations  (Read 8872 times)

jimmy r

Surgery Preparations
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
I am having surgery a week from today. Any suggestions on pre-surgical preparations? I know not to take Aspirin or Aspirin related products for week prior. This was all that Dr barkers office recomended. House gave me 3 pages of banned substances and recommended Phisohex. i lost the instructions but i think that I am supposed to wash my surgical area a few days before surgery. Any House people remember the details? They also gave me a prescription for something but I forget what - need to check at the pharmacy as i never picked it up when my first surgery was canceled. I plan on lots of excercise, adequate sleep., healthy eating and a small dose of fun to put me in a positve frame of mind. Of course  this  between the millions of things i need to do to prepare to be out of commision for about a month    or longer.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

jerseygirl

Re: Surgery Preparations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:19:42 pm »
Jimmy,

I will also have surgery for recurrence soon (6/27) and wish you the best of luck. What day is your surgery? My recurrence is a little  smaller than yours and I have the same plan for the damned tumor: try another surgery and then very likely radiation. My first surgery was in 1988 at NYU for a 6x3x3 cm tumor. From what I heard, your team is extremely experienced so you are in good hands. Keep us posted as soon as you can!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:10:38 pm »
I still have the paperwork from MGH.  Have you had your pre-op appts yet?  (Chest xray, bloodwork, EKG, etc.)

Here's what they told me:
- no aspirin for 7 days pre-op
- no vit E or herbal supplements for 7 days pre-op
- no ibuprofen/Aleve/anti-inflammatories for 3 days pre-op
- nothing by mouth (no water, candy, mints, gum, etc.) after midnight the night before the surgery

That's it.  They take care of everything else once you're admitted.  And the surgical area will be cleaned and shaven once you're under anesthesia (the docs don't like it if you shave it yourself, apparently).

You're in good hands at MGH.  Try to relax (much easier said than done, I know!) and you'll soon be through it.

I'll be thinking of you on Monday!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:11:18 am »
Firstly good luck on the day, and
Something they (the hospitals)  miss sometimes, is the Herbal Type remedies
many of which cause the blood to thin
or reduce the clotting (St Johns Wort & Ginko for example)
OK in normal life - not so good when surgery is planned
Maybe a good idea to recheck your "Health" cabinet
and stop taking anything that falls into this category
Again
Have a speedy recovery
Best Regards
Tony

neal r. lyons

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:50:33 am »
HELLO PEOPLE!  JIMMY AND JERSEY GIRL-OUR BOATS ARE  NEARLY TOGETHER.  I GOT A SURGERY DATE AT THE HOUSE CLINIC ON JUNE 22 AT NOON.  WE HAD A SMALL COMMO PROBLEM BUT I FIXED IT WITH A FAX.  I'D SENT A MESSAGE LAST WEEK ASKING TO BE CONTACTED BUT IT GOT OVERLOOKED!  ANYHOW ALL IS WELL.  I'M FLYING TO LAS VEGAS FROM PASCO, WA.(ALLEGIANT AIR FOR 69.00), SPENDING ONE NIGHT AND REPORTING TO HOUSE ON JUNE 20.  (PRE-OP ON 21ST) 
     ACTUALLY, I'M NOT SURE WHERE WERE STAYING YET.  I'LL BE WITH MY SISTER AND NIECE.  IT WILL EITHER BE AT ST. VINCENT'S SETON GUEST HOUSE               IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY OR AT THE NEW OTANI HOTEL WHICH OFFERS FREE SHUTTLE TO THE HOSPITAL.  IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE NEW OTANI?  I CHECKED ON IT AND IT WAS 115.00 PER NITE.  I'LL TRY FOR THE SETON GUEST HOUSE.
     MY SURGEONS WILL BE BRACKMANN AND SCHWARTZ.  RITA(SCHEDULING) CAUGHT ME OFF GUARD WHEN SHE ASKED ME IF A HAD A PREFERENCE FOR SURGEONS.  I KNEW THAT DR. BRACKMANN WAS ONE BUT HE TOLD ME HE WOULD BE WORKING WITH EITHER HITSELBERGER OR SCHWARTZ.  ANYWAY, I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH EITHER, BUT IT WAS NICE TO HAVE A CHOICE.
     BEST WISHES!  NEAL

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:51:40 pm by neal r. lyons »
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

jimmy r

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:51:19 am »
Neal

Brackmann is the most experienced in the country. Hitselberger performed my surgery 20 years ago with Dr House. Other than losing my hearing I was back to normal in a month.  You are in good hands. Check out the St Vincents guest housing - it's right next to the hospiatl and cheap. I spent the weekend in vegas before my surgery too.

Thanks to everybody for the advice. Can't wait to be done with this.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 08:12:39 am »
Hi Jimmy,

Another herbal to stay away from is flaxseed oil.  It thins the blood also.  The pre-showering of Phisohex was also given to me and my son (working the surgical intensive care unit at the hospital I went to) said to use it ALL OVER the body and moreso on the head, hair and face.  Scrub, scrub, scrub!  This cuts down on infection and use CLEAN towels (I opted for using a hair dryer) to dry and CLEAN clothes/socks to put on afterward.  Think of this as insurance BS (before surgery).  My thoughts are with you.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

neal r. lyons

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:14:56 am »
GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU JIMMY!  ARE YOU GOING BACK TO THE HOUSE AND WHAT SURGERY DID YOU DECIDE ON?  NEAL
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:09:43 pm »
June is a busy month for AN surgeries!  Hopefully, we'll all have a smooth recovery and will have nothing but great news to report. Best of luck to Neal and Jimmy. Neal, out stays in LA will most likely overlap but we'll be in different places.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

jimmy r

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 11:25:17 am »
I am having Retro Sigmoid approach at Mass General by Barker and Mekena. I was scheduled to see Brackmann and Scwartz but my HMO at the last minute would not pay for me to go there.

Do I just need to scrub the morning of surgery or for several days before?

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 01:17:14 pm »
Hi Jimmy,
My retrosigmoid surgery was on 2/16/07 with House in LA.  On the Phisohex, my instructions said:  "Shower and shampoo with Phisohex for three days prior to surgery once a day.  Use about 1 tablespoon or more of Phisohex.  Wash head, face, neck and shoulders thoroughly, allowing the Phisohex to run down over the area.  Rinse well and towel dry.  Also, shower and shampoo with Phisohex the night before surgery."  They also gave me a prescription for Famvir (6 pills) to take 2 a day for 3 days prior to surgery.  Sending good wishes to you for a speedy recovery.
Jean 

Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

jimmy r

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 07:13:35 pm »
Thanks for all the information and good wishes. Good luck to all the fellow June surgeries.

chelsmom

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:29 pm »
Hi Jimmy,

My daughter went to UCLA (Dr. Becker) and besides all the things listed here he also told her not to drink any sports drinks.  Something to do with the electrolytes (potassium and sodium) that play a part in brain healing.   My thoughts are with you.  Michelle

Michael R.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 07:04:56 pm »
Hi Jimmy,

I wanted to wish you the best. I am not far behind you. I'm scheduled for surgery on 7/6 and have pre-surgery appointment on 6/25 with Dr. Barker & Dr. Poe. It sounds as though we are in very good hands. Planning for for the recovery period helps to keep me from dwelling on the operation itself. Any words of wisdom on the recovery period would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

10 X 12 neuroma removed July 6th, 7hrs 45min by Drs. Barker  & Poe
tumor was attached to auditory nerve resulting in total loss of hearing in left ear.
Doctors and MGH staff were great.

SteveWWD

• www.myacousticneuroma.com
    • http://www.myacousticneuroma.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
I would suggest reflexion on self.  Take the time to slow down, think about life, forget about all the exercise and work on putting your mind at ease.