Author Topic: CT scan or MRI?  (Read 10658 times)

cookiesecond

Re: CT scan or MRI?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 08:35:08 pm »
You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers!!
Lynn

NF-2er

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 09:35:37 pm »
Hello!

A C-Scan reveals bones better than MRI. It may reveal a widening of the IAC, Inner Auditory Canal, which would be indicative of an AN. I've read where occassionally a C-Scan will miss an AN up to 1.5 cm. It is a cheaper prescreening test ordered by some ENTs.
   Needed, is a closed tube MRI to accurately image an AN. The scanner must be at least T-3 weighted and a high resolution scan with gadolinium contrast be taken between the IAC axial plane.
   Open MRIs are not sufficient for imaging ANs in all situations. They are generally T-1 weighted, T, Tesla, being the measurement unit of magnetism.
   Best wishes here. I would stand my ground for an MRI to be on the safe side.

NF-2er

I may be a little premature in writing this as I only have been diagnosed via symptoms and audiogram tests.  My ENT sent me for a CT scan due to my defibrilator preventing me from getting a MRI.  Question is...Can a CT scan catch an AN 100%?  Symptoms are gradual left hearing loss, bad tinnitus, and 2 severe occurances of vertigo/sweating/nausea.  CT scan was without contrast.

Windsong

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 12:25:07 am »
...and gadolinium maybe only if no kidney problems?.....

NF-2er

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 12:48:14 pm »
Hi;

Of the contrast agents available, I believe gadolinium is primary.
   Seems I read if one has kidney problems mild to severe, dialysis is recommended following MRI.
   Geesh, nothing like having a whole new disease produced by gadolinium to think about!
   Monday, I go for MRI # 18.
   Pass the Xanax, please  : )

Be well...   - NF-2er