Author Topic: Hearing phones ring?  (Read 17685 times)

lora

Re: Hearing phones ring?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 10:49:59 pm »
Oh, those poor folks out there who don't have ANs--they have to PAY for entertainment!
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

SteveWWD

• www.myacousticneuroma.com
    • http://www.myacousticneuroma.com
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 07:16:57 pm »
Well I had ringing in my ear before the surgery, and now that I have had surgery and lost hearing - I still have the ringing.  I wouldn't say it is anything like a phone ringning.  What I do notice is that if the phone rings right next to my deaf ear - it sounds like it is coming from another room.  I'll usually get up to look for my phone and then realize once I turn my head that it is right next to me - no tbig deal though.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 09:14:47 pm »
phones ringing, , thunder, doors slamming, It's all theer,  but only in my head.  The worst is hearing my neighbors kids (who are much younger than mine) scream out from across the streeet when they have skinned their knee or something, and it sounds liek they are dying,  I think I't's my kidss, so I shut off the shower and come racing down the stairs (not a good thing for an unbalanced ANer to do) to find they are sitting quietly reading a book.  Drives me nuts.  I hear things that are not there, and don;t hear what is right next to me.  Ask Brucifier,  he hears a choir singing in his deaf ear.  Hope they are at least singing songs he likes.  LOL

Patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »
So nobody hears the talk radio that's in the next room softly playing? 

Maybe this is where "ghosts and things that go bump in the night" originated.  Somebody back when had an AN!!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

aardvark

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:42:31 pm »
Sue, you described it perfectly.  Sometimes before I fall asleep, I hear a low male voice, as though it were emanating from the TV in the next room - can't make out any words, and yet there seem to be syllable breaks.  It's a modulated, conversational rhythm, very lulling.  I feel like I'm stuck in Huxley's "Brave New World".........("the..Nile..is..the..longest..river..in..Africa.....")
1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 02:16:35 pm »
Does tintinnitus count? 

I haven't suffered from 'hearing' phantom phone rings, voices, thunder or anything else that I can recall.  I seem to lead a dull life.  However, I do miss some actual phone rings, especially if I'm in another room or have a radio or television on.  That's why I have Caller I.D. and an answering machine. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pattibobatti

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 03:10:06 pm »
I just read about all this phone ringing business!  It happens to me when I'm taking a bath or drying my hair, too.  I just kind of lived like that, thinking it's just me.  And looking for my cell phone around my oldest son makes him CRAZY. I have a smile on my face now thinking about him watching me dig in my purse (it's big). 

I thought that I did not get the tentinitis with this tumor, but now I guess I did! OH GREAT!

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 07:33:55 pm »
Jim...it's tinnitus...but there is also other things within the tinnitus that causes the phantom sounds.  At least for me anyway.  In the car the humming road noises cause me to hear an off key melody plunking away and I'm not sure what causes the "distant radio" business, which is usually at night.  I have a fan in my bedroom to help even out the tinnitus at night (my eye doctor thought that was hilarious for some reason. I wanted to smack him!) and maybe that causes the tinnitus to do that.  I've mentioned on here before that I read that this might be caused ( or IS caused, I don't remember) by the brain trying to made sense of the sounds it is trying to process.  Hey, sounds possible to me! 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Boppie

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 09:33:14 pm »
Sue,
My good ear has an upper range loss so phones ringing are real picnic for my family.  I just let the answering machine take messages...makes life less complicated and rushed anyway.  I have a perfect excuse to use the machine, even if my callers dislike it.

I get a stupid giggle out of my GP from time to time when I explain my quirks.  I really think he feels embarrassed for not knowing what to reply.  GPs just have little frame of reference beyond the bais neurologic signs. So, they just give a laugh.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:38:40 pm by Boppie »

mema

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 08:42:33 am »
Hi everyone,                                                                                                                                                                             

The phone ringing is separate from my tinnitus.  My tinnitus is constantly in my AN ear. Alot of things make my tinnitus louder at times or different. The hearing phones ring is an actual sound of ring, ring, ring.......ring, ring ring. Its not in my AN tinnitus side.  Sounds like both ears pick it up, but as I said intially no phones are ringing.  My newest  sound is when I'm lying in bed and my husband opens the door I get a piercing sound that seems to go through one earand  out the other.  Happens with certain sounds on a t.v. show.  Or last night lying in bed next to my grandaughter she turned on her side and again this piercing sound.                                                                           

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

pattibobatti

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 11:15:48 am »
So do you think the phone ringing sound is also tintinitis or not?

I know it all started after the AN surgery. I too hear the ringing sound like its in both of my ears.

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

mema

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 11:35:51 am »
Pattibobatti,                                                                                                                                                                             

No I dont' think the phone ringing I hear is tinnitus.  My tinnitus is a more constant ring.  The hearing phones is a sequence of ring, ring, ring, just like a phone sounds.  There were others who noted the shower or hairdryer.  I take baths and don't blow dry my hair. Not to say yours isn't tinnitus.  Althought we all have alot of the same side effects we are also all different in how we react to our AN treatment.I think alot of the noises do have to do with our good hearing ear and how it compensates for the other side, the bad AN ear.                 

mema
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 12:42:13 pm »
This too funny for me.  My sons think I have lost it ;D  I hear the phone ring all the time, especially when I blow dry my hair.
When it is windy outside and I move my head I hear a sound like wind is whipping around in a tunnel.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  The dam cars with the boom boxes drive me insane.  I feel vibrations before I see the car.  I have to roll up the windows and hold both ears.  The sensation in my AN ear borders on pain.  I cannot have the car window open with the wind hitting my AN ear.  PAINFUL ???  My husband loves to drive with his window down.  He can't believe my ear is so sensitive. 
Trials and tribulations of AN.  I'll have to let my sons know I haven't lost it :o
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mema

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 04:37:51 pm »
Ann Marie,                                                                                                                                                                               

I know exactly what your talking about.  At work when I would walk back to the stock room It felt like a wind tunnel in my head going ear to ear.  It seems my good ear is getting more sensitive.  This earache I got over a month ago still pains me.  I've been on two different ear drops, one which had steroids in it.  I'm hoping it will kick in.  No were not crazy, just special!                                             

mema
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »
Memma,
Do you ever hear the door bell ring?  Between the phone and the doorbell, no wonder I'm dizzy!!!  I can relate to the good ear becoming more sensitive.  I guess it has to compenstate for the other ear.  I cannot take any type of loud noises.  If the TV is too loud I loose it.
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games