Author Topic: Where there's a will there's a way  (Read 5116 times)

ChelseaR

Where there's a will there's a way
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:41 pm »
So my mom and I went to Santa Cruz this past weekend and we flew from Ontario, Cali to San Jose, Cali which is like an hour flight. I was nervous at first that my shunt would in some way be altered or my head would hurt in some way, but it didn't! EVERYTHING was perfect!! MRI's are not supposed to hurt even with a shunt, but they cause KILLER pain for me! So even though the doctors said that riding on a plane shouldn't pose a problem, I was worried because the MRI hurts when they say it shouldn't.

The trip was simply amazing! My mom's brother owns some cottage's over the ocean that he rents out and we stayed there and it was MINUTES walk down to the water or to the downtown. It was perfect.

Just a couple months ago I was learning to walk again, I couldn't do something as easy as turn over [I had to have my parents turn me over on my side or back on to my back], and I had to be medicated to even drive in a car because I would easily get sick. But today I can drive myself again, I go down with friends to see my other friends an hour away at the beach and stay the night by myself, I am able to fly on planes with no problem, and I was able to walk from our cottage down to the beach which wasn't that far of a distance, but I had to hike down and back up 89 steps both ways. And we didn't just go to the water [and lay out! :) for the first time in almost a year] but we walked around the downtown and looked in shops. Even though i had to rest a couple of times, it was an awesome feeling to know that even through EVERYTHING i went endured, im getting back to my old self EVERDAY!

Things I Can Do:
Walk long distances
Travel up and down multiple stairs
Fly on planes
Drive cars
Keep a highly cognitive conversation
Write [my penmenship is BACK! :)]
Stretch
Shower by myself
anything i try... i have been able to do! <3

thank you to EVERYONE for all your support and prayers and love! i HONESTLY think i could not have done any of this without the love and support of everyone! Where there is a will theres a way and God gave me the will and showed me the way! THANK YOU!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 01:22:46 pm by ChelseaR »
Diagnose in June 2006
6+ cm
20-25% still there
Removed after 2 surgeries
went to UCLA in California

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Where there's a will there's a way
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 01:55:12 pm »
Chelsea,

You have NO clue the tears of joy I have... OMG!!!!!! You rawk, girl!!!!!!!!!!  I am sooooooooooooooooooooo thrilled to hear this and thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much for sharing this with us.  You are living proof that we can overcome the worst of many challenges that are thrust upon us....

You just rawk... you really do!!!!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:51:59 pm »
Chelsea,

Reading your post brought a smile to my face.  I'm so happy you are doing great and from the sounds of it you are living in the moment!  Keep it up and continue to celebrate those moments where "true" joy, comfort and peace reside. You'll never be disappointed. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 04:56:47 pm »
Chelsea,

You are an amazing young woman!  Keep up that great attitude, and there's no telling where you'll be in another year!  Sounds lik eyou're taking the world by storm.   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 12:33:55 am »
Chelsea, last year you scared the living you know what out of me! Wow, you were soooo sick, as you well know. I am thrilled that you are doing so well.  Ahhh youth.  It helps to be young and strong and determined. Thanks for the post and the update on how wonderful your life is going for you now and we know your future is bright as a new penny.  Will you be off to college?

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ChelseaR

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:45:24 pm »
Chelsea, last year you scared the living you know what out of me! Wow, you were soooo sick, as you well know. I am thrilled that you are doing so well.  Ahhh youth.  It helps to be young and strong and determined. Thanks for the post and the update on how wonderful your life is going for you now and we know your future is bright as a new penny.  Will you be off to college?

Sue in Vancouver USA

Thanks Sue! well thanks EVERYONE!! but in response to your college question, I took an online course in the spring [Child Development] to kind of test the waters to see how I was doing cognitively. I ended up getting an A in that so I enrolled for a summer course [Microeconomics], we will see how that goes. But for sure I am attending the University of Redlands in the fall. I am not living on campus for the first semester, but second semester I plan to live in the dorms! :) im REALLY excited!!

Starting with this summer my future plans are:
maybe take a road trip to Vegas with my best friends from high school
but that will only happen if it fits in between:
summer school at the community college
trip to nebraska in late august
and i got a job at this corner deli/market

so we will see what else comes up. i am trying to go forward with my life and make it as active as it used to be, but reading posts on here reminds me to step back and slow things down, but recovery is going great!! again THANKS to EVERYONE for all the love and support! I honestly consider you all as another component of the family!

Diagnose in June 2006
6+ cm
20-25% still there
Removed after 2 surgeries
went to UCLA in California

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:04:40 pm »
Micro Economics from child development? GET out of TOWN! Your cognition is just fine! (I love econ, but it was hard work and that was way before the AN...) Take care girl- glad to hear from you!  cute picture btw...Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:03:53 pm »
Chelsea,
I praise God for your wonderful news. Thank you so much or sharing with us. We have really been praying for you and your mom.
Sometimes it's good news like yours that just keeps us going!
Take care and have a wonderful summer!!!
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:39:47 am »
Yeah Chelsea!  I just finsihed micro and macro economics..YUCK  LOL  I prefer child development!  If you need help holler I sure did..thanks CEE CEE I got an A   ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 02:52:24 pm »
Hey, Chelsea:

Reading your account of how far you've come since a year ago is beyond inspiring.  Thanks for the update.

While I didn't have to face your challenges, I did share your desire to overcome my own AN-related symptoms and relatively minor post-surgical complications.  Like you, I pretty much have done that and it really brightens my day to see that you are well on the way back to a state of normalcy.  Keep up the great work, Chelsea, and enjoy your life.  You've earned it.    :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 03:24:12 pm »
You GO Chelsea!

A lot of us here have been following your progress throughout the past year and a half and many of us would look daily for your Mom's posts when you were so sick.  Lots of candles lit for you and prayers said for you have worked wonders.
I love your positive outlook--keep it up and keep us posted on your milestones. We are definitely your vitual family here.
Hugs and smoochies,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

chrissmom

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 07:47:07 pm »
Way to go Chelsea !
We think about you everyday.  You've come a long way and I certainly know the road was bumpy.  You have tremendous courage and determination.  Glad to hear that you will be going back to school.   With your determination, I know you'll do great.  By the way, nice picture.  I keep telling Chris to post his so everyone can see how handsome he is...maybe you can talk him into it. All my best...
Rita

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 06:41:53 am »
Chelsea,

You are amazing!  I've said many prayers for you and your family, as have my friends.  With your attitude and stamina you will go far!  Keep up the great work in college and in your personal life.
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT