I was diagnosed with AN in my right ear in 2000 and have been watching and waiting since then. I am now 58, my AN is now 9mm x 5 mm (I know it is small as things go), I am seeing my specialist from the Cleveland Clinic next week for my second visit since 2000. I am nervous. Each year, the waiting and the tests become more emotionally difficult for me. I am now 58 years old and have lots of other medical issues (diabetes, osteoporsis, spinal stenosis, high blood pressure, acid reflux, liver problems, etc). I do experience constant ringing in my ears (sometimes I also hear little tiny tin-like musical sounds kind of like a music box and other times I hear a loud roar like a train), I now have no sense of direction for sound (when I am at work, I can't hear if someone moves from one side of me to the other or if someone comes in my office), and I struggle with vertigo most of the time.
I am worried if I keep waiting, will I wait beyond a time that my body can heal effectively. Also, I have a new twist, my TMJ in my left ear has now degenerated the bones and is causing a hearing problem in that ear as well. My general physician thinks I may need surgery on both, which is why I was sent to the specialist this time. I am confused on the types of treatments available. I have read the literature, but I am getting confused. I am debating if it is better to have the surgery now or wait. I am concerned about the post-surgery, the literature is quite daunting. Yet, the waiting year after year is nerve racking (no pun intended). I know my AN is small, for which I am grateful. I am not sure if it is easier to take care of it now or wait until it is bigger.
I am glad I just found this support group. I hope my meaderings are making sense.