Author Topic: speech and writing  (Read 2327 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
speech and writing
« on: December 12, 2007, 05:56:03 pm »
I was wondering if anybody here occasionally has trouble writing? My handwriting has been very sloppy. I try to slow down and make it better but it still is very ugly. I also was wondering if anybody has trouble saying what they want to say.....I have read some other topics and have noticed that we do sometimes have problems saying what is on our minds. Sometimes I talk and it comes out...WRONG...or very funny...that people look at me like what???? I also have trouble looking for words that I want to say. I wanted to say teething ring the other day and ended up saying chew toys...(this is for my infant son)...chew toys?? Hes not a dog. Thanks for listening to my frustrations and feel free to let me know if you have some issues like this.

Thanks
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: speech and writing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:05:12 pm »
Mindy,

I haven't been on much lately so your timing is just right for me to provide you with some pertinent information.

I had written about the problem that you are describing in a piece that I posted last year I believe. I've attached the link below to take you to that thread entitled,
"Handwriting Difficulties and Cerebellar Retraction".....

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2650.msg27897#msg27897

You're not the only one believe me!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:34:40 pm »
Mindy - I had to laugh when I read the teething ring story - I did the same exact thing and my family is still making fun of me for calling it a chew toy.  Except for the dog - she didn't think it was funny at all.

I think the combination of an AN, an infant and a dog can really mess with your vocabulary!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:48:21 am »
Hello Mindy!  Yes…..handwriting does suffer…even after surgery.  My tumor was, in Dr. Bartels’ works….. “jammed up underneath my Cerebelumâ€? which controls coordination and also handwriting.  When I had to sign myself out of the hospital after surgery, I could hardly hold the pen.  My signature was horrendous!  I have always had such neat handwriting, and I could never figure out why over the course of the past couple years it’s been getting progressively worse.  Well….obviously when I found out I had a 4cm AN, it became crystal clear.  And yes…..words get mixed up all the time.  It is better post-op, but not completely gone.  The handwriting is also better, but not like it used to be.  Luckily, I can type again.  The first couple weeks post-op were very hard.  My right hand felt like a dead piece of fish.  The typing is very good now…..its “repairedâ€? itself much better than the handwriting did.  Just be patient with yourself and try not to be in a rush.  This is something you will have to deal with from here forward, but it does get better.  Keep us posted regarding your treatment.

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:26:39 pm »
Hi, Mindy:

I can relate.  My handwriting was always borderline legible and it did deteriorate (to undecipherable) following my surgery but it has now returned to barely legible status. My written signature is, essentially, little more than a scrawl, same as always.   I'm very thankful for computers and word processing programs.  Verbally putting words together was never really an issue for me, as I'm an inveterate talker.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:42:10 pm »
So that's what's happening to me!  I just chalked it up to stress and overdoing it.  My handwrting, never good, has definitely gotten worse.  Not only that but I find myself not writing a letter ie getting becomes gettig.  that sort of thing. 
I find the talking part more upsetting.  I used to be articulate and social.  I find now that I draw back and am quieter than before.  The other day I was almost in tears because of that.  It's all so stoopid...Most of the time I manage to deal with everything.  Lately though it feels so hard.  And I"ve got so little problems from the surgery-ssd, imbalance, some forgetfulness, language and writing difficulties.  Yet sometimes they feel like a giant mountain to overcome. 

Donna
(sorry I'm pissy today.  I fell on my butt this AM and it still smarts)
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:18:46 pm »
I'm two years out and still have a tendancy to blurt out the wrong word. I can see the word but my mouth just won't say it. At times it does make for some funny moments.

Handwriting is difficult. I find I leave letters out of words when I'm writing. I do when I'm typing too but can usually catch them. I couldn't figure out why my handwiriting was so bad until I remembered the left side controls the right hand. I'm right handed and my tumor was on the left. I wondered if you were right handed and your tumor on the right side if you had the same handwriting difficulties?

My mother in law used to practice writing her name when she was having treatments for brain cancer. I'm sur practice helps but I would rather type  LOL