Author Topic: Will I be able to become a lawyer?  (Read 4440 times)

robinm

Will I be able to become a lawyer?
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:17:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am a 23 year old college senior. I had my AN removed last year. Since then, I have been deaf on my left..other than that I have no problems..I have recently thinking about my future career..I have been good at college (3.9 GPA) and am really thinikng of going to Law school..I've been doing well on LSAT practice tests..but due to my one sided hearing..I am speculating it will be hard for me to practice law..be a lawyer..Do you guys think I will be OK being a lawyer with one sided hearing or not?..Are there any lawyers here ?

Thanks,
Robin

robynabc

Re: Will I be able to become a lawyer?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 11:11:39 pm »
Hi,

Robin.  Sorry about your deafness.  My 18 year old was just diagosed and the hearing part of it doesn't worry me that much for him.  I guess the reason is that my almost Ex husband has been deaf in one ear his whole life.  He is a car hauler and drives trucks and I never saw a problem for him being deaf in one ear.  The only problem I ever had was that we had to watch what side we sat on to talk to him but he never seemed to have a problem with it.  Now granted he has lived with it since he was young so I guess you get used to it but  I personally do not think that being deaf in one ear would have any bearing on anything you do in life.  I would think you can do anything.  My Thereapist has hearing loss also and I don't see it in her that much.  She has a few things she uses to help but really I think after you get used to it and if you just let people know around you so they know to maybe say things a couple times if they notice you didn't hear them.  I don't see it as too much of a problem.  I know I am not deaf in one ear so maybe I am not a good judge but the people I know with one deaf ear don't have too many problems with it.  And a lawyer to me would not have any problems.

Good luck,

Robyn   (Nice name by the way)
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:55:37 pm »
Robin, My son is an attorney.  Once you pass the bar in your state you should have no trouble.  Going to law school is about reading, reading, reading.  Lectures are about listening, assimilating gross amounts of detail, and applying what you learned on paper.  Your SSD will not stand in the way.  I think you'd do well to get a good hearing aid and make it part of your persona. You will do well with clients who are disabled and hearing impaired (in case you want a speciallty in private practice or trial law for a firm.  I would advise any law student to learn Spanish; and this is not related to hearing at all.  It is about $$.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 04:17:41 am »
Hi Robin,

I am a firm believer of something my dad shared with me years ago... "anything you want is within your grasp, as long as you work for it".  Even with our physical disabilities, including many that I have, I still firmly believe in this and carry this statement closely to my heart anytime I may run up against an obsticle that insists in attempting to block my path.  I know you are going to do great and congratulations in striving for your goal.  Even with SSD, you are going to do great.....

I have faith in you to do well in life, even with "reminders" of what life's struggles have come our way. :)

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 07:18:02 am »
being SSD is not a disability,  think of it more as a annoyance ... A hearing aid (trans ear or BAHA) helps.. but not necessary. Remember most lawyers work is not in a court room .. but answering questions , contracts, in an office setting.   

(ps I have a baha aid)

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Derek

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:52:48 am »
Hi Robin...

I acquired SSD in 2202 that being the year I was diagnosed with the AN. I then had 2 years deployed as a Detective Superintendent in charge of a murder squad in the UK which entailed managing crime scenes, chairing briefing sessions, attending conferences and regularly giving evidence in court etc. Albeit I did not make it public that I had an acoustic neuroma or that I suffered SSD, I did not have any adverse problems in carrying out my duties. Nature takes care of things for you.

My advice is....go for it and very best of luck in your chosen career.

Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 11:26:56 am »
Why would you want to be a lawyer? Don't you want to do something useful with your life?            (Just kidding)

I agree, single sided deafness is no handicap to anything.  Dr. Brackmann has a picture in his office of a jet fighter pilot still flying after surg. for AN and SSD.

I practice medicine w/SSD  with no problem.

A BAHA is really not needed, I have one , but I consider it a luxury for special occasions.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

robinm

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 01:12:43 pm »
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for providing your encouraging comments..I believe I will be OK being a lawyer indeed..What makes me frustrating most in school are those soft speaking professors..I will not allow myself to be defeated by this AN and go for what I have aimed..Thank you alll again for providing your views on the topic.

Robin

PS- I am not in favor of putting on BAHA or transear because I am very good looking  ;). If anyone knows of hearing aid that is not visible from outside, please let me know.

robinm

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »
And Bruce good luck for your PhD application.

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 01:35:46 pm »
You might want to google "listening devices".  There are portable tools (some are digital) that people use in meetings and class room situations to enhance listening.  A few of these devices resemble blue tooth hardware and one can "get by" in a classroom (with permission of course).  A listening device might come in handy during the first year post treatment.    

robinm

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 03:09:48 pm »
Hi Boppie,

Thanks for the great advice..other than big classroom settings and meeting settings, I don't have problem being a SSD..Maybe, I will make use of these devices, if I find trouble hearing in my career..And, I like you "spanish" idea too.

Thanks,
Robin

IAHeel

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 05:26:54 pm »
Robin,

I am a lawyer and my wife had her AN removed earlier this year. She is deaf in her right ear, but the BAHA is an amazing device. I encourage you to check it out. You are going to be just fine if you choose to go to law school. SSD is not trivial for the person so affected, but I would put that particular challenge at about 1,000 on a list of 25 important factors in determining success in law school or law practice.

The very best of luck to you,

Fred

tuckerro

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 04:19:41 pm »
Robin,

I'm an attorney, who is still adjusting somewhat to post-surgery life.  As with anything as humans, you adjust, compensate, and learn to deal with it.

I still have hearing, althought limited, in my AN ear, but its not as good as it was pre-surgery.  It is a little difficult in depositions, or at trial, to have your client whispering into your AN ear.  However, its all about seating, learning to focus, lean on your good ear and look at those persons speaking to you to help improve your odds of having good communication.

I don't think its an issue.  I'd say if you want to do it, and that's something you are interested in, go for it.  I'm happy to discuss this further with you if you want.

RON T.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:20:32 pm »
Hi, Robin:

Allow me to join the chorus encouraging you to attend law school. 

Some practical, non-legal advice based on experience: I was recently summoned for jury duty and during the voir dere I mentioned to the judge that I was deaf in one ear (I gave no explanation and none was requested).  The judge replied (in a soft voice) that if I actually served as a juror and didn't hear something, to simply raise my hand and ask that it be repeated.  I wasn't chosen for jury duty so it was a moot point.  However, I didn't think that my single-sided hearing would have been a problem in court as most folks speak up, they have a microphone and my 'good' ear has almost 100% hearing, so I'm good.  You will be too.  Go for it. 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.