Author Topic: Cognitive Dysfunction  (Read 7872 times)

Princess

Re: Cognitive Dysfunction
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 10:17:14 am »
Thank you for your excellent post.  It was informative.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 10:39:57 pm »

Good Post DEB! sorry I read it late. I talk with you on phone few months ago?

ya cognitive issues...I forgot to close the back end of my suburban and was flying down the highway with it OPEN!!

A guy was passing me on my left (DEAF SIDE) rolled down the window, and he YELLED , " WAAA WAAA WAA WAA"
I gave him a thumbs up smiled and yelled, "THANK YOU I LOVE THIS VEHICLE TOO" IT IS GReAT THIS SUBURBAN!"
He yelled again pointing as I turned to hear better, YOUR ASS IS HANGING IN THE WIND!@!!

I looked back almost swerv screeching off the road as I noticed the whole BACK TAILGATE lift was open sky high, lucky nothing blew out.

I was embarrassed.

Cognitive! Forgetful!

Also DONT EVER ANSWER A CELL PHONE WHILE RIDING A BIKE YOU MONO DEAFS!!!

DIZZZYYYYYWIPEEE

Cognitive! Forgetful!

5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

matti

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 08:24:55 am »
I am 9 years post op still struggle with cognitive issues  :(  I did not not have the issues pre-surgery, but noticed them almost immediately after. My handwriting is awful, it's as if my hand is working faster than my brain and most words are scribble and even I can't read them. When speaking, I often struggle to find a correct word and will then say the reverse of what I am thinking. Instead of saying "cold" I will say "hot".  I can formulate a thought, but when it comes time to speak it's all jumbled.  When I type my words are out of order, but do not notice it while typing, so I must always go back, do a  re-read and make corrections. I find that since surgery all tasks take a little longer to accomplish. To this day, my doctors and surgeons still do not believe there is any correlation between these issues and my surgery  ??? ???

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 05:03:20 pm »
MAtti, same w me, Problem I have is that when I am saying  a sentence, Like for context,
I may be washing the car, and ask my wife, "hey hand me the cake".
When I meant to say "hand me the brush", Like automatic word insertion and its the wrong word!
Would be nice if a speech therapist could post something about this, areas of the brain for speech, I dont think its aphasia or apraxia?
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

kippy6

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 07:58:58 pm »
Here are some terms I thought were interesting. I found most of the definitions via wikipedia.

Anomia: A problem with word finding. Impaired recall of words with no impairment of comprehension or the capacity to repeat the words.
In "The Case of Anna H." who had anomia, the neurologist/writer Oliver Sacks noted that: "When I showed her some kitchen matches, she recognized them at once, visually, but could not say the word 'match,' saying instead, 'That is to make fire.'"

Dysphasia: is a language disorder in which there is an impairment of speech and of comprehension of speech. It is caused by brain damage, usually in the left side of the brain which is responsible for language and communication. The word comes from the Greek dys- (impairment) and phasia (φασια) (speech).

Broca's Aphasia: Aphasia is defined by Websters Dictionary as a "loss or impairment of the power to use or comprehend words usually resulting from brain damage." 
In most people the Broca's area is in the lower part of the left  frontal lobe.  It is one of the main language areas in the cerebral cortex because it controls the motor aspects of speech.  Persons with a Broca aphasia can usually understand what words mean, but have trouble performing the motor or output aspects of speech.  Thus, other names for this disorder are 'expressive' and 'motor' aphasia. Depending on the severity of the lesion to Broca's area, the symptoms can range from the mildest type (cortical dysarthria) with intact comprehension and the ability to communicate through writing to a complete loss of speaking out loud.

Receptive aphasia, also known as Wernicke’s aphasia - is a type of aphasia often (but not always) caused by neurological damage to Wernicke’s area in the brain (Brodman area 22, in the posterior part of the superior temporal gyrus of the dominant hemisphere)...If Wernicke’s area is damaged in the non-dominant hemisphere, the syndrome resulting will be sensory dysprosody - the lack of ability to perceive the pitch, rhythm, and emotional tone of speech...Speech is preserved, but language content is incorrect. This may vary from the insertion of a few incorrect or nonexistent words to a profuse outpouring of jargon.

AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

TP

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 08:43:46 pm »
Ixta - not quite sure why you posted nude bike riders.   :o I think the folks should be more concerned of not wearing clothes while riding a bike instead of answering a phone while riding a bike.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

NF-2er

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 09:07:46 pm »
Hi Cheryl;

I suppose one can then draw some conclusions about Drs : )  Have they performed any testing ( as an EEG ) for those cognitive issues?  Seems an antiepleptic may help, as per Neurontin, Lyrica, depacote, Valium class, etc. Your description of cognitive dysfunction sounds worse to me than others I've read.

NF-2er  ; )