Author Topic: Newbie, living in Germany, collecting opinions, options!!!!  (Read 3953 times)

Dan

• Dan in Germany
    Newcomer with 18mm AN left side, slight lose of hearing, tinnitus, and almost complete lose of equalibrium function left side (Dr. said that I shouldn't have much problem with balance Post-Treatment).

I have done a lot of reading and searching in the internet (English and German) the last two months.  I have also talked to at least 10 different Doc's about options, and opinions.  I have also talked with almost all of my friends and family to get input.  I had a consultation with GK Frankfurt (Radiosurgery) middle of May and end of May with Prof.Dr Mann Uniklinik Mainz (Mikrosurgery).  They both said they were my best option, as I expected.  GK Frankfurt has over six years of experience in Frankfurt.  Prof.Dr.Mann has also alot of experience, he operates AN patients every Monday and Friday (has done so for years) and is booked up until mid Sept. I still am not 100% sure what I will do, I made an OP appointment with Prof.Dr. Mann for 21 Sept 07, because I don't think I can just wait and watch.  I can make a GK appointment  within 2wks time, so thats no problem.  One problem with GK is, I'm not sure that the insurance will pay for treatment or followup MRI's. (still have to talk with insurance).

In germany (after Microsurgery) the hospital stay is alot longer than in the USA.  Normally 10-14 days postOP, and then 2-6 wks Rehabilitation Center, depending on PostOP problems, this is all payed for by insurance.

I'll be in the USA (first time since 1999) from 19 Aug-14 Sept. 07 visiting my parents in central Ill.  I will also be trying to collect more info from doctors in the area.

If anyone has more info about Dr's, Hosp., and Kliniks in Germany or personnal experience, please let me know.   I can read german if anyone wants to respond in german.  I will be very thankfull for all info and opinions.

Dan (a little worried but still smiling)
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

tony

Re: Newbie, living in Germany, collecting opinions, options!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:21:01 am »
In Germany you do have the option of the Hannover institute
they do both gamma and surgery - the lead surgeon - Sammi
is one of the most experianced in the world (3,000 Ops ?)
might be worth a 2nd view
Best Regards
Tony

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:12:38 pm »
Tony, thanks for the response to my inquiry about info, I did some searching Institute Hannover but didn't find anything about Sammi.  Do you have an Internet address.
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:44:57 pm »
Madjid Samii, M. D., Ph. D.
President
Neurosurgery   President: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. mult. M. Samii   phone.: +49 511 270 92 – 7 04fax: +49 511 270 92 – 7 06
web: www.ini-hannover.com
No problem - should give you a few pointers
Best regards
Tony

Obita

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:44:07 pm »
Hello Dan!!

My cousin has a friend in Germany that had AN surgery about 6 months ago.  I just sent my cousin an email with a link to your post asking that he forward it to his friend.  If I hear anything, I will let you know.

I am sorry you have an AN but so glad you found us - Good luck!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jill Marie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:10:50 pm »
Hi Dan,  I'm of no help as far as the An goes but wanted to post to you because your in Germany.  Our youngest son is there now, stationed at Panzar in Stuttgart.  My husband and I were in Germany as well in Jan of 2005 as our son was in the Landstuhl Hospital.  We flew into Frankfurt of course and also were in Stuttgart.  Goodluck with your search for more info. on having the surgery in Germany.  Sounds like from the Hospital end of it and the Insurance your better off in Germany.  My Insurance gave me 3 to 5 days then amended to 7 after the surgery. Then I was sent home and on my own, that was 15 years ago so things have improved.   Take Care, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »
Hi Dan, if you can get out of the hospital sooner than 2 weeks, I'd sure try! I believe people just don't really start to get well until they are in their own comfy beds, without nurses and doctors waking them up every 2 hours. After 5 days I was suffering from sleep deprivation, it was awful. Best wishes to you, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!