Author Topic: Balance on cruise ship  (Read 12234 times)

kkweiher

Balance on cruise ship
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:39:51 am »
We (Joe & I) are going on a cruise in June and I'm a little worried about my balance problems. Please relay your experiences. I will want to keep in mind.  My balance now is pretty good ( only occassional stumbling) and I never had motion sickness on any previous cruises ( this is 5th one).  I hope my luck in that regard stays with me ??? 8) I appreicate your insight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:41:59 am by kkweiher »
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Balance on cruise ship
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:55:32 am »
Kimbra, I am SO jealous! I am a Royal Carrib Crown and Anchor member and have been on 5 cruises and am hooked! OMG!

Well, let's see... I haven't been on one since my AN diagnosis, but... cruise ships have stabilizers on the keels, thus, if you run into rough waters, they help to minimize the movement.  I remember being on an 80,000 ton ship back in 1998.  Our ship was sandwiched between 2 hurricanes (I think it was Bertha and Earl).  Anyway, we did run into some rough waters off of Grand Caymen so it was a bit tipsy but other than that, never had an issue.

I also know that depending on which deck you are on, the closer to the water level, the less likely to feel "sway". Example... many of the newer ship's spa are up on higher decks (ie: 9th, 10th, 11th deck). The higher on the deck count you go, you will feel the sway, but if you are on the main decks near water level, you really shouldn't sway too bad.

I would suggest bringing along Dramamine or Antivert or vestibular therapy exercises to help the cause... just in case.

BTW, I want pics of you all during the "muster drill!" :)

Jealous is an understatement! Send me a postcard!

Ahoy!
the ANA Web Cursed, cruise director!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:15:16 pm »
Kimbra,

I was wondering about that myself. We leave this Saturday out of New Orleans on Carnival Fantasy. I guess I will be the guinea pig on this!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

kkweiher

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:19 pm »
Ellis,

We don't leave until June 9th.  Please be in touch when you return and let me know how it went.  I don't expect problems but you know how things just sneek up on us.  Still have n't gotten a handle on this SSD.  I will however stay away from the railings. :D :D.  We are leaving out of Florida on Royal Carribean - Liberty. 
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

1wareagle

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:27:11 pm »
Kimbra,

We are SO ready for this vacation. This year has been a dilly, with my surgery and all. I don't have that much problem with my balance now. At first it was rough but it slowly came back. I am kind of hoping that we get a table for just my family. I got a BAHA hearing device but in crowds I still have a hard time keeping up with the conversation. When I'm in a crowd and can't hear I get so nervious. That the main reason we discovered my AN. We go each year on a cruise and my wife told me before we go on another one you are getting a hearing aid. Well when I went to get my hearing exam, the doctor ordered a MRI and discovered my AN. I still plan to try the breakfast in the dining room because it's not as noisy as at night.

We have been out of Florida several times. About 3 times out of Port Canaveral and once out of Tampa. My daughter got married last Nov and sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale on Royal Carribean. They had a blast.

I'll try to let you know about the balance problems when I get back May 24.

Ellis
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:29:00 pm by 1wareagle »
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:30:50 pm »
Hi everyone:  I took a cruise only once,  our room was close to the water (like Phyl said), it was pre-op, but I didn't feel swaying during the day; the only time I REALLY noticed it was when you go to bed, it felt like your body is moving to your feet, then your head, then your feet etc, etc....   I personally didn't like the feeling, so I'm wondering how it will feel post-op (at least you're IN the bed, so no chance of falling !!!!)  My best friend LOVED it - she said it felt like she was being rocked to sleep.   In any case, I wish you both a WONDERFUL RELAXING REJUVENATING  holiday !!!!!    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 03:25:42 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I'll probably have to pack an extra suitcase for all the medicines, eye patches, eye drops, sun hat, Dramamine etc, etc, etc.......Ha Ha! What ever it takes,, I'm ready to go! I need this vacation in the worst way. When we get back I'll try to let you know how it went! Good Luck on your eye, maybe it won't be too much long before you can get the new weight.

Bon Voyage!
Ellis

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:49:01 pm »
I have been on two cruises post -op , never went pre-op so I can't compair. Anyway yes my balance was bad and I was likely assumed drunk by many (must be why so many men hit on me...lol) but I didn't fall, I did find myself feeling like I was at sea on the land and the entire sensation did not calm down until home for a few days. I did have one night of barfing on each cruise but on these nights a lot of passangers were tossing thier cookies.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

OTO

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:48:35 pm »
I have a similar situation.  I booked a salmon fishing trip with my Dad last year (need to book and pay about 9 mos in advance).  Since then I've been diagonised and scheduled my surgery for May 22nd.   The fishing trip is scheduled for the week of July 13th.   I've already told my brother-in-law to clear his schedule in case I don't recover my balance.    I'm not sure I can handle being on a 24-foot boat, slow trolling for salmon or drifting for halibut for 8 hours a day...

I've never gotten seasick, but each night as I stand in the shower, I can really feel the rock and roll   

1wareagle

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:49:17 pm »
Hi All,

We just got back yesterday from our cruise and I can report that my balance was no different than it was before the surgery. My good side had taken over a long time ago and I could not tell any difference.

The main problem was the SSD. We set at a booth table for 4 each night and for the first 2 nights I sit so I could hear my family conversation. I had to change sitting for the last 3 nights because I couldn't hear the waiter. They all are from other countries and speak broken english which is bad enough but when you can't hear them either it was miserable. I struggled to hear my family the rest of the time.

Taking picture was the other problem. I look like a drunk now (and I don't even drink). I hate to look at myself now. My family said they don't even notice it but I do and can't stand to look at a picture of myself.

But for all you future cruisers I felt no difference in my balance.

Ellis

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:00:05 pm by 1wareagle »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 03:21:40 pm »
Hi Ellis:  Thanks for the photo of you & the missus - GREAT PICTURE (at a distance) - I know what you mean re: having pictures taken - at a retirement party I saw the pictures taken recently - I look like a horror movie.  Now I know what people see when I'm talking, laughing, singing....   We recently had another retirement party - I skipped this one because it wasn't someone in my immediate group - besides the pictures I can't take the noise of everyone talking, etc.    I'd rather take care of myself then put my one good ear thru it - I used to love parties, now a party of 2 is plenty !!!!   Anyway, hope you had a relaxing & wonderful time with your wife - you've both been thru alot & certainly deserved the holiday.   Always good thoughts Ellis,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

vjw1218

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:21:43 am »
Well, I can't offer any insight post-op - since my surgery is still 2 weeks away - but last week, I returned from a 10-day British Isles cruise. I mentioned my balance / motion sickness concerns to my Neurotologist and he prescribed Valium.

I'm proud to say I didn't take any of it. We did have a day and a half of hurricane-force winds and waves of 20 feet or more - so it was definitely rough. I took one Meclizine and was totally fine. The Mecilizine was only precautionary because I did start to feel a bit woozy with all of that and I'm prone to motion/sea sickness. I was determined not to be miserable.

You may wish to take ginger tablets. This was not my first cruise, so I was familiar with the benefits of ginger for motion sickness. In preparation, I started taking it twice a day about a month before the cruise and took it daily on the cruise as well. It really does work. In fact, I stopped taking it after I got home (because of the upcoming surgery) and noticed the dizziness - which had been almost non-existent for a month and half - has returned.

It's merely a suggestion and, again, I haven't had surgery yet, but I hope it helps.

Enjoy your vacation!

vjw1218

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 09:24:16 am »
Oh yes, one thing I did notice was I had a difficult time with heights.  For example, if I was on the top/highest deck of the ship and looked down to the ocean or tried to watch the shoreline, I experienced vertigo. I learned really quickly not to do that again! :D

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 11:16:47 pm »
my heads swimming just thinking about getting sea sick!
A cruise does sound fun  ;D
Last one I went on I did get motion sick but wasn't from the An  LOL

okiesandy

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 09:58:43 pm »
I went on a cruise three weeks before my AN was discovered. I was standing on a concret dock wondering why it dipped when the dender boat come to pick us up. Three weeks later the discovery of Ivan the Terrible and SSD.

I have flown, crusied and what ever since the discovery and treatment. All have been good for me. SSD has been my only slow down.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)