Author Topic: Survey of Facial Paralysis  (Read 13685 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Survey of Facial Paralysis
« on: May 10, 2007, 04:32:41 am »
Hi Gang:  I have been wondering about this & hope those of you with facial paralysis will join in.  I'd like to know from those who have/have had facial paralysis: how was it caused, what was done, how is it now & what you are doing to assist with healing.  I would say for myself:

facial nerve cut 6/19/06 with end to end facial nerve anastamosis at time of surgery;   Get routine facial EMGs, last showed 10-15% nerve generation but still no movement.    Going for acupuncture since 10/06.

I appreciate all who volunteer for this 'informal' survey.    Thanks,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

Re: Survey of Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 07:35:17 pm »
Interesting survey.

My facial paralysis was caused from having my facial nerve stretched.  It was intact after surgery. 9/6/05  I am letting it come back on it's own.  It's gone from absolutely no movement to my now being able to make a small smile.  In June I will be going to see Carrie Loth, a facial retraining person who studied with Jackie Diehls.  No EMG's yet.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 06:16:18 am »
Hi Jean:  Thank you for the input.   I was thinking 'once again I'm in the familiar mode of (as people have told me)"no Nancy, just YOU are interested in this"'  lol
I was interested especially re: facial nerve being cut vs. stretched -from what I've read on the site it seems those that were stretched are more likely to get movement back, even if it takes awhile (which makes sense, it's not rocket science to figure THAT out - duh Nancy).  I'm curious, since mine was cut, how many others with cut nerve HAVE gotten movement back.   Oh well,  we'll see if others respond (or not, geuss I can be a bit morbid at times).
Take care Jean,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 08:56:35 am »
Hi Nancy & Jean,

My surgery was only 4 1/2 months ago but my nerve was not cut. Dr. Brackman told me he had to leave a sliver of the tumor on the face nerve to preserve it. He said to be expecting movement in the next 2 mts but as of today I have had no movements not even a twitch. I still can't blink my eye but the weight help to close it at night. I watch both of your progresses and I'm trying not to get to inpatient.

Ellis
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:59:11 am by 1wareagle »
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:46:41 pm »
Ellis,

The first movements are very small, almost imperceptable.  At least that's how mine was.  I got the tiniest movement next to my nose.  Isn't learning patience so much fun?  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

stewie

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:44:40 pm »
Hi nancy,
My facial paralysis was caused during surgery because the nerve was so stretched. I'm approaching 18 months out and am able to make a closed mouthed smile. I get a whole "cheek apple". I noticed the faintest of movement last October. It was almost like a flicker in my cheek. Very, very tiny. I too see Carrie Loth. I met with her last week. My movement has doubled since she saw me last September. No eye blink yet--but Carrie noticed some movement on on the release of pulling my eyebrows together. Again, almost invisible.
Hope I was helpful.
Kathy
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

amymeri

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 06:59:25 pm »
Surgery 13 months ago.  Facial nerve intact for 2 days after surgery then went out.  I also have some numbness.  Nothing for 4 months then some improvement.  Has been slow.

I can mostly close my eye, can grimace but can't close my mouth all the way.  Can smile about halfway.  I am having facial retraining and botox.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:39:03 am »
Thank you all.    So, it looks like 4 with nerves stretched or just the trauma from the tumor,   1 with nerve cut.   The stretched nerves do recover with time.   The cut nerve (me),well,  still waiting.....
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 06:52:10 am »
Another facial nerve stretched to like linguine the doc said. I had no movement right after surgery, 3 years later, it's better but not perfect. I saw Todd Henkelmann in Pittsburgh last summer and fall and saw a lot of improvement in 5 months. Unfortunately I haven't been back since November.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 12:59:01 pm »
Nancyann: the difference of how much recovery you will get is if the nerve was cut or not. If the nerve was cut it is not longer able to do the job and you will not get  movement in that area of the face, you will get synkesis but not purposeful movement without repairs. (movement in reaction to movement  by the other nerves close by, often a tensing type movement).
If it was not cut but streached or traumatised it will return to some level of it's previous function and in time some report return to normal.
at least that is my experience from personal point of view and reading
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ceeceek

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 09:41:01 pm »
my two cents....just had surgery 4 weeks ago....have some facial paralysis....around my eye....upper lid..mostly near eyebrow and numbness around jawline.....
no nerves were cut..just aggrevated ...have lots of trigeminal nerve pain and vidian nerve pain..affects vision...no fun...
so far acupuncture helped alot...
muscles, not so great...pain alot better.
am hoping with more treatment nerve that activates eyebrow will heal better....droopy eye..not so great for pictures....
did you also have the nerve pain to go withthe paralysis?
Ceeceek

postie..almost..only had very small section removed via endoscopic transphenoidal approach..will go for ck soon..hope it does not make matter worse but dr S and Dr M assured me it would not.
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 04:44:43 am »
Hi Ceecee:  no nerve pain;  unfortunatly my recent EMG showed very little improvement, & only in the chin area.  Think I may need the 12/7 jump.  I go to my surgeon june 6th, geuss I'll find out then.  Take care, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

MikeC

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 02:11:14 pm »
nancyann ... I had my surgeries 25 years ago. I reads like your outcome is much as mine was. In my view, the 7-12 splice was a true gift, as the left side of my face was sagging greatly ... no muscle tone left due to severed 7th nerve. The 7-12 restored most muscle tone on the left side ... if I avoid a smile, the effects are hardly noticeable ... the left eye brow is a giveaway, but who looks at peoples eyebrows. The smile, on the other hand, remains as it was 25 years ago   :-\ . My left eye scared over 25 years ago, there was no ANA then. 

Any negatives from the 7-12 .... hmmmmm ... I can only chew on the right side of my mouth ... my kids make fun of me when I stick out my tongue ... other than that, none come to mind.

Namasté

Mike

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 10:07:45 am »
Mike:  Thanks so much for the encouraging words !   I see my doc tomorrow - I'll find out if he feels I should have the 12/7 jump.  How long after your initial AN surgery did you have the jump done?  Did they do a total or partial hypoglossi, & do you have any problems with synkenesis ?  I appreciate your help.    Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 02:45:09 pm »
Hi Nancy,

Just want you to know I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping all your news will be positive for you.  Every post of yours is very supportive and positive making those, I'm sure, feel comforted.  I am comforted by your posts and I'm not the one you're responding to!  All the best to you Nancy and I pray your suffering will soon be over.   
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear