Author Topic: AN in north eastern Pennsylvania  (Read 3326 times)

Betsy

AN in north eastern Pennsylvania
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:39 am »
I just saw Dr Mark Whitaker at Geisinger in Danville PA.  He was the first doctor I'd seen after my primary care physician  said "whoa...we can't treat that here, you have to go to Danville".  His bio on the Geisinger website says his focus is "acoustic neuroma management".  I researched treatment options before the visit, so I knew pretty much what to expect, just not how it applied to my AN.  Dr Whitaker is very attentive and kind.  He spent so much time with me that I'm sure his schedule was wrecked for the rest of the day.  From what I'd read on the internet, I expected his advice to be biased one way or the other, depending on what makes more money for the hospital, but he was refreshingly neutral.  He said he sees about one new AN per month.  When I left, I understood each option as it pertained to my particular situation.  Dr W doesn't perform the surgery or radiosurgery; he referred me to Dr Gergel, also with Geisinger in Danville.  I'll be seeing him later this week, along with Dr. Cohen who is a neurosurgeon.  Then probably on to Baltimore or Philly for the actual treatment.  I'd love to keep it closer to home, but the level of experience just isn't here.  My AN is about 1cm with slight hearing loss, so I don't need to make a decision today, but I'm not putting it off either.   Thank you and best wishes to everyone who posts here....you're my support group!
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Static

Re: AN in north eastern Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 02:39:21 pm »
Hi Betsy!
I live about an hour outside of Philadelphia and had my surgery done at Jefferson just over 3 years ago.  I wish you well in your decision making process.  Sounds like you are on the right track!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: AN in north eastern Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:16:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  So glad you found this site and I know you will find as much support as you want from this group of kind people.  I, too, wish you the best of luck with your treatment and eventual recovery from this thing we have in common.  Crazy, huh?  Not something any of us saw on the radar, that's for sure.  Take care,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode