Author Topic: Dr. Johnny Delashaw and Dr. Sean McMenomey  (Read 8751 times)

marg

Dr. Johnny Delashaw and Dr. Sean McMenomey
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:31:39 am »
Does anyone have information about the (OHSU) Oregon Health Sciences Univeristy  AN team ..... Dr.  Johnny Delashaw and Dr. Sean McMenomey ...... I am scheduled for a middle fossa surgery on Monday (May 14).  I have heard only good things about Dr. Delashaw (the neurosurgeon)  & that he does a huge majority of the AN surgeries in Oregon. ..... but I haven't heard anything from anyone who has had AN surgery from him.... only other types of surgery.   I  haven't met Dr. McMenomey yet..... I will this week.  Sorry I am giving such short notice  but I just found your site a short time ago and just joined. I would appreciate hearing from people.  Thank you.                marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Dr. Johnny Delashaw and Dr. Sean McMenomey
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01:59 am »
Hi marg and welcome.  I'm glad you found us here.

Whenever I meet with a dr for the first time for potential treatments, I always ask them directly for their customer references.  In the case of my AN CK treatment team, I asked my radio-oncologist for a list of patient references that he has treated.  2 were happy to speak to me and now, my radio-oncologist uses me as a reference (I have also received phone calls from his potential patients). 

So, did you ask them directly for patient references?  Your post here is perfect if anyone knows them, but they may also have patients that do not post here....

Just a thought....

Again, welcome,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

candeem60

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:02:54 pm »
I had surgery in Nov 1998 by Delashaw and McMenomey.  Subsequently the tumor grew back and I had more surgery in Dec 2003.  I am happy to discuss my experience.  Candee

marg

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:24:35 pm »
Hi Candee,
   Did you have the same 2 doctors do your 2nd surgery?  How long was it after surgery that the tumor grew back?  I hope you had a positive experience with these 2 Dr's.    Did you have the same type  surgery both times?            Marg
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:53:42 pm »
Hi, I just had AN surgery by this team in July 2006. They are excellent and OHSU is one of the best hospitals. Make sure and ask questions. Because I was unaware of after surgery dinginess I had.(Dingy!!)  ;)   My brain swolled and water so I ended up having to go back to have a second surgery no fault of theres. They are the top surgeons up there for this surgery. Good Luck :)
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

marg

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:23:02 pm »
Thanks Linny.............. I appreciate you giving the great review of the OHSU team.  I'm still nervous but it helps a lot to hear a great report about the people who will be doing my surgery.
marg

Phyl ....  Thanks for the good advice.................. I wish I would have asked that question before now ( hate to ask it 4 days before surgery).  marg
Marg 

candeem60

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:33:47 pm »
Margaret:  I seem to be having trouble posting a reply to you.  Most likely my inability to use this wonderful website.  I hope you are feeling better, Candee

Thanks Linny.............. I appreciate you giving the great review of the OHSU team.  I'm still nervous but it helps a lot to hear a great report about the people who will be doing my surgery.
marg

Phyl ....  Thanks for the good advice.................. I wish I would have asked that question before now ( hate to ask it 4 days before surgery).  marg

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 05:36:45 pm »
Hi,

In regard to Dr. Johnny Delashaw. Here's a video of a AN procedure that so many of us have endured produced by the good doctor himself.

I've posted this link on the forum a number of times over the past few years. It needs to be brought to the forefront periodically so as not to be covered over in the archives.
    You need to have "RealPlayer" to view the video. It's worth a watch!

http://media.ohsu.edu/ramgen/hosp/ent/acoustic1.rm

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

marg

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:12:25 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Paul.  I will check it out.  I had a middle fossa approach....  but surgery is surgery. 

Hi Candee,  you can click on the little square looking box to the right of the little person underneath where it says the # of posts they have written to write a personal message to that person.  I would still love to talk to you about your surgery experience.
   Thanks, Margaret
Marg