Author Topic: middle fossa surgery  (Read 5113 times)

marg

middle fossa surgery
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:47:57 pm »
Hi.  I was diagnosed with a AN in Dec. of 2006.  After much research, and 2 opinions I decided on surgery.  My tumor is very small... 3 mm  (any smaller and they wouldn't have seen it on the MRI).  I have the typical symptoms (fullness in ear, sea shell sound and small loss of high pitch tones... very minor balance issure).  Amazing that a tumor so small can give symptoms that I have heard about in much bigger tumors.
     Anyway,  I am scheduled for a midddle fossa surgery on Monday (to say I am nervous  is a real understatement).  I decided not to 'wait and watch' because I already have these symptoms and .... need to do something while I still have medical insurance (I'm a teacher getting close to retirement).  My neurosurgeon has a team and does about 100 AN surgeries a year at Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) .  I just found this site a short time ago and was wondering if there are people who have kept the hearing they had before surgery (mine is still very good).  I am hoping for that of course.  I also wondered about dealing with balance issues if they take the balance nerve (which I was told would happen)..... I get motion sick playing a 3 D video game .... so I can only imagine waking up with vertigo... how long does it last?   Anyway, I would appreciate any support  you are willing to give..... I guess I just need to hear from other people who have been through surgery... Thanks so much for your help.   Marg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:34:31 am by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

tuckerro

Re: middle fossa surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:33:21 am »
Marg,

Welcome.  I am a fairly new joineee to the group also.

I was diagnosed March of 2006, had surgery September of 2006.  I am here to tell you that life goes on after your surgery, with some changes and adjustments.  As long as you have studied your physician and feel comfortable, that's all you can do, is turn it over to them and let them heal you.

Before surgery, I had say 60% of my hearing in my AN ear.  Pre-surgery, I had ringing in that ear, and typical muffled, seashell type hearing, especially in loud crowds.  Pos-surgery, my hearing is arguably the same.  The ringing is still there, and it has decreased a little, but I still have useful hearing in my AN ear, and you learn to adjust.  I turn more to face people speaking with my good ear, I rely on my good ear more, put people sitting by my on my good ear side, and make other adjustments.

As for the balance, I am not a good one to speak to that.  My doctor said that although they removed the balance nerve on that side during surgery, that I would hardly notice, cause my body had already gotten used to that side not having it because of the position of my AN.  Pos-surgery, I had maybe a day or two that I was a little woozy, and had any noticeable balance issue.  After that, I was walking normally, and fairly normal.

Best of luck.  This forum is very helpful on all sorts of issues, so browse around, and feel free to ask if you have more questions, of myself or any member.

Ron T.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

tomano

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:43:53 am »
Hi Marg,
I guess I can't be a lot of help to you as I have my surgery next week. I am feeling quite nervous about it as well.
Have you had the misfortune of being in a room with a strobe light? I barely escaped!
also, it is my understanding that our bodies can adjust. As long as the other balance nerve is intact, our body can compensate.
I know for me, one of my arteries feeding the cerebellum was blocked by injury (that's how I found out about my an) and I am still able to surf, though not as well and it took about 6 months.
I hope all goes well for you!
tom

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:59:08 am »
My balance nerve was removed (although I had translab), and I can say I haven't really noticed a difference - once I got past the first week or so.  I did notice it when I took my kids on a carousel ride, but nothing otherwise!  LOL!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

marg

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:14:51 pm »
Hi All,
    Thanks so much for answering some of my questions..... but mostly for 'just being there' for me as I get close to my surgery date. It means so much to have support from other people who really understand because they are in the same situation.  I know each tumor is individual and how things will turn out can't be known until after surgery so like you said Ron.... I have done all that I can do and now I have to turn it over to the physicians.  Tomorrow is my last day at work (and I'm glad because today was tough).  I am telling my 2nd graders goodbye tomorrow  because I won't be going back this school year.  :(   They know that I have been having trouble with my hearing..... I'm telling them I'm have surgery to hopefully help my hearing not get worse (It would scare them to say I was having brain surgery......It scares me ......and I'm an adult).
    Thank you Katie and Ron for your response and support from the angle of having had your treatment and survived the adjustments you have have to make.  Tom.... I will be praying for you and your surgery next week too.   I (and my very worried family and friends) will all be glad when sugery is over and I can move into recovery stage.
Thanks,   Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

tuckerro

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:25:20 am »
Marg,

No trouble at all.  I am sure I speak for those of us that already had the procedure, when I say, our thoughts and prayers will be with you.  Check in with us and let us know, when you can, how things go post-surgery. 

RON T.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

tomano

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 05:47:25 pm »
Margaret,
I guess we'll be in different hospitals together. Good luck with your surgery!
It is good to know that we aren't going through this alone. My prayers are with you as well!
Here's to quick healing and I look forward to hearing of your positive results.
tom