Author Topic: Is it too soon to inquire about TransEar-type devices?  (Read 3552 times)

Ted A

Is it too soon to inquire about TransEar-type devices?
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:29:23 am »
Hi there...

I am an AN newbie to the Discussion, and just recently posted in the “Pre-Treatment� Section (some details there). I have a couple of questions about hearing aids.

I am currently in wait-and-see mode with my 14mm AN. However, I am interested in hearing aid devices, specifically the type that redirects sound to the good ear. My impression is that proceeding along this path requires some resolution on the tumor itself (i.e. remove it or stabilize it).

• Is it premature to investigate hearing aids while still in wait-and-see mode?
• In your experience, must one wait until the hearing is completely absent before something like TransEar is possible?
• Do most doctors recommend waiting for resolution on the AN before hearing aids are an option?
• Any recommendations for TransEar doctors/centers in the Houston area?

Thanks and regards,
-Ted
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:17:20 pm by Ted A »

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
Re: Is it too soon to inquire about TransEar-type devices?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 01:57:32 pm »
Ted,

I think I can help you with some of your questions and perhaps others can help you with the rest.

It's never too soon to inquire, investigate or gain knowledge. When you have an AN, the odds of you needing a hearing device of some kind are great.

I did all of the research and decided on the TransEar prior to my translab surgery.

I do believe that the TransEar is for single sided deafness only. No sound fropm one ear.
My TransEar has made a big diference for me.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 02:52:38 pm »
My local ENT and audiologist got my TransEar for me.  I was their first.  If you go to the TransEar site they have a location finder for you.  I am sure you'll find someone in the Herman complex/Fannin area who will know about TransEar.  My doctor from Houston tried to interest me in a BAHA, and at that time there were no other options for bone conduction aid.  But at my one year check up he was glad to see that at least I had opted for hearing help on my own.  The TransEar site says their aid is primarily for SSD but I don't know what the exceptions might be.  Their comments and questions area allows you to email your concerns directly to the GM.  They answer back in a timely manner.  TransEar has been wonderful for me.

I have herd of folks getting fitted for TransEar after four months post op so I don't know how this would relate to you in particular.

Some doctors are not up to speed on how TransEar works so you might have to educate them

My advice is to pick a great audiologist.  You can't buy a TransEar from the regular hearing aid dispenser, at least that is what I was told in November 2006. 

Ted A

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:27:08 pm »
Thanks Dan and Boppie for your replies.

The TransEar info jump starts my research on hearing devices. I still have about 20% hearing in my AN ear, and am getting to the point where I am having difficulty with routine conversations. I strategically seat myself around tables, cup my good ear with my hand to focus the sound, often have people repeat themselves, and sometimes just miss the punch line during group conversations. It’s getting frustrating, but on a positive note, it forces you to concentrate and engage more closely with people in conversation.

Cheers,
Ted