Author Topic: GK Questions ...  (Read 3348 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
GK Questions ...
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:00:48 am »
Hi All,

On Friday, I go for my first appointment with a Radiation Oncologist. I don't know what to expect, but I assume it's more of a consultation, scheduling of treatment and question and answer session. My problem is, I don't really know what to ask. I understand for the most part what's going to happen, I just always tend to go blank in these appointments and can't think of any questions. Anyway, this time I'm making a list of questions and I thought you might be able to help me so that everything is covered. I'd appreciate any help.

For those that don't know me, I've already been through two microsurgeries to debulk and partially remove a 3.5cm AN that was embedded in my brainstem. After my first surgery I had a lot of swelling that kept me in the hospital for over a month. I guess you can say that it wasn't "textbook." My second surgery was much smoother, but Residual tumor still remains in my facial nerve, and sitting next to brainstem. It hasn't grown since my last surgery in 2/06, but I'm told that chances are that it will grow in my lifetime and it's best to deal with it now that it's not growing. My Doctor referred to it as a "battle" and now that the tumor is "retreating" and "on it's heals" it's the best time to "Keep attacking" instead of sitting back and waiting for it to "regroup and attack us again."

It sounds like GK is the way to go, and honestly, from what you all have told me. GK doesn't sound like that big of a deal. I've already lost all hearing in my left ear and my vestibular nerve was also severed in my first surgey. I have had no feeling in the left side of my face and left eye trouble since my first surgery in 10/04, which tells me that my facial nerve is damaged, but still in tact. I don't really know what other side effects GK could possibly cause since I've already dealt with most of it. I suppose my facial nerve could get worse?

Anyway, thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.

gordy

Re: GK Questions ...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:40:39 pm »
not sure if i can help you there. im shcudelued for gamma knife june 21. i had to go in for balance tests and facial nerve tests i guess to see where im at before the zapping. i didnt ask to many questions because i thought i read alot on it as well as the info people have put on here for me. sorry if i wasted your time in you reading this since i didnt answer your question. i will post after i have it just wante to say good luck.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:31 pm »
Scott, just know in your soul of souls that you are doing the right thing for you.  For ALL that you have been through, this will be a piece of cake, a walk in the park or anything other cliche you care to add. I know what my appt for my Cyberknife entailed but hoping others here (hey, where is Vancouver Sue, ellenvig, etc) will chime in and share what happened at their GK pre meeting. 

You are going to do great!   Have faith in your decision, never look back, never question, know you are doing what is best for you!  BTW, baby is looking awfully cute!  :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:55:27 am »
Hey Scotty,

My consultation just consisted of meeting with the doctor and the head nurse at the GK facility and having him explain the procedure and then taking a quick tour of the facility and showing my husband and I the room with the GK and that kind of thing.  I had to sign a bunch of papers. The nurse took me in privately and asked me more questions about health history and wanted to know if my husband was abusive!  I just looked at her and thought...so how's that cause an AN?  Of course my husband wouldn't hardly hurt a fly. Guess they have to ask questions like that.  I didn't know what to ask at my consult either.  I just kept thinking.....this can't be real.

Just ask about the steroids and if you will be getting them afterward and for how long and if you can take sleeping pills.

I do keep meaning to mention, Scotty, that I do think that they will find out that someday, all of us radiation patients will eventually turn into Super Heroes. It's probably changing our DNA as we speak, and we are destined to save the world - Bwaa, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.  ;D ;D  (Okay, I was watching Heroes when I thought of that!)

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:34:02 am »
Thanks everyone!

ceeceek

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:41:11 pm »
Luv the save the world bit......very good...anyways,..I found that as I reviewed this site and the cyberknife site that various questions arose...I wrote them down so that when I did have a consult, I would have some clue as to what to ask, such as......what will be the initial effects..what will be the effects 6mos down the road...what are the worst possible effects..and how would they deal with them. What are the chances of damage to surrounding tissue...what are the chances that it will not be an effective treatment....etc...just look at the board and there are tons of issues that people have had to deal with..when you find one that you need info on...or how that Dr will deal with it..write it down..
Good luck..
I am scheduled for official.....long story..with Dr Spunberg of the cyberknife group July 6...my acupuncturist, wants me to pursue embolization and I am looking into it, but due to time. travel expense etc...I will still probably wind up with CK....My concern with embolization is that the tumor may likely find another feeding line....ie..another vein to feed it...embolization is used a lot in China..they place a small ?? plastic like substance directly in the vein that is feeding the tumor so that blood supply is cut off...so far 100% success,,but it is new..and I am uncertain of what the long term effects and outcomes could be.....as I study I will update the board ....in intermin...I believe I personally will be sticking with tried and true radiation..although I am not crazy about it..it seems the most practical option at this point..
Good luck with your consult and let us know how it goes
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.