Author Topic: Post Sugrery Question  (Read 3651 times)

Catflower

Post Sugrery Question
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:53:23 pm »
I had my surgery on 4/17 and was told by the surgeon that they were able to preserve my hearing and my facial nerve.  Well, I have no hearing on the AN side.  Have any of you had that happen and then have your hearing return as the swelling subsides?

Linda in WV

kke

Re: Post Sugrery Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:13:46 pm »
My son had surgery with 'preservation' of hearing nerve and facial nerve.  He could hear for about 24 hours, then was unable to hear anything afterward.  They did a hearing test which showed no hearing response.  His physicians stated that the blood supply to the nerve probably affected the hearing.  He does not expect it to return.  However, the ns had 1 patient who began to hear after 6 months.  Hope this is helpful.  Btw, his surgery was in april also. 

k

OTO

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:26:26 pm »
A guy downstairs in our office, had middle fossa surgery about 5 years ago.  Afterward, the doctor told him that there was a complication with the blood supply to the cochlea.   I forgot exactly what he said... either interuption of the blood supply or decrease or increase in the blood pressure.  It damaged the cochlea and he lost hearing.   There was suppose to be a possibility of some hearing return.   It's been several years now which minimal improvement.

tuckerro

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 05:02:16 pm »
Did retain some hearing, but mine has been the reverse.  WHile I had it post op, I seems to be gradually getting worse since the surgery, with more buzzing, and less productive hearing.  RON
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

mema

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:15:06 am »
I had 90% hearing loss 5 months after FSR.  They gave me one round of steroids but it didn"t help.  Sometimes lately I thought I heard slightly better.  Due to see ENT in June.  Although afraid of another hearing test as my tinnitus seems to get worse with each one.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.