Author Topic: ear sticking out  (Read 3826 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
ear sticking out
« on: April 19, 2007, 12:44:29 pm »
Hi all, has anyone been left with a "Dumbo" ear post op? I'm 3 months post translab, and am beginning to realize that my ear is not going to go back in place. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Boppie

Re: ear sticking out
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:22:47 pm »
Yvette, My ear stuck out more than the good side and more than it ever did pre op.  This went away as the incision drew up and the cavity in the back filled itself in.  Also, I could feel a big dented area behind the ear post op.  Now at 15 months the dent feels more like a slit again. Hang in there!

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:08:29 pm »
Thank you Boppie,
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 01:12:02 pm »
Thank you Boppie-I will wait it out then. I wonder if anyone has had their ear fixed post op by a plastic surgeon.

flier58

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 02:02:08 pm »
Hi Yvette,
Welcome to the forum.  I just read your post on Dan's thread.  You mentioned that your AN was 3mm and already pressing on the brain stem. I thought that despite the location such tiny AN will not press the stem.  Mine was 2cm and barely touching it.  Now you have me really scared.  But I am happy that you are doing well.
Flier58

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 06:04:33 pm »
2cm is just "kissing" the brain stem in an adult head.  Mine was this way too! 

Maybe a 2 CM tumor could impact the brain stem if it originated inside the cerebral pontine angle instead of in the IAC
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:06:40 pm by Boppie »

han nah

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 02:25:17 am »
Hi Yvette

I had trans lab surgery just over 4 weeks ago. I too have noticed that my ear on the affected side (right) is now sticking out more than it did. My husband thought that it maybe sticking out more becuase they shaved near the ear, I asked my plastic surgeon and he told me that the muscle behind my ear had been damaged by the incision. And that he could address this issue when performing my facial surgery to address my paralysis. 

Hope this info helps.
26 years old
from South Australia
2.5cm AN right hand side
Diagnosed Aug 06
Trans lab surgery took place 20th March 2007
Complete right side paralysis and completely deaf in right ear
Gold weight in right eye lid
Plastic surgery was 23rd May 07

Obita

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:57:52 pm »
Hi Yvette and all:

My ear went back to normal but I don't remember how long it took.  Now, my good ear sticks out a little more
than my AN ear!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 02:58:49 pm »
My ear was crazy for a few months too. I told my surgeon that he put it back on wrong. It eventually went back to normal, just give it time.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:12:38 pm »
Thank you everyone! Since I was blue over my earrings pointing in different directions, my hubby suggested I do something special just for me. So I'm having my teeth laser whitened:-)   My hubby says he wants to see more smiling goin' on. My hair is long, so I'm not even going to look at my ear till maybe...Christmas! (I'm also not going to look at the little bald spots where my head was in the vice thing during surgery. I wonder why it's not growing back? Anyways, I'm not looking.)

redgrl

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:23:15 pm »
My ear stuck out after surgery to. But now it looks like it has settled back a little. Have have long hair to so it covers it pretty good. I noticed a difference after about 3 or 4 months and it's still getting better. I was freaking out. I thought I was going to have one dumbo ear.  :D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 07:44:13 pm »
Hi Flier58, I'm sorry, it was a typo. My AN was 3cm not mm. An inch across the longest part, and back by my stem. I had no hearing loss, until surgery of course. Getting used to SSD though. Life's good. Yvette