Author Topic: facial nerve recovery time  (Read 41077 times)

stewie

Re: facial nerve recovery time
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 08:49:24 am »
Pembo,
Thats great news about your recovery! Wow, after 3 years. Thats fantastic! I'm so happy for you.

Kathy
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 06:37:35 am »
Well, I had my repeat facial EMG yesterday,  looks like my nerve's been taking a break - the EMG showed very little improvement from the last one in the chin area, still no improvement in the cheek/eye area.  I have my f/u with the surgeon June 6th, we'll see if it's time for the 12/7 jump then.  I gave it the 'ole college try' with the acupuncture.  It's funny because I feel like the droop isn't as bad as it was, & my right side has a tight feeling, but the EMG didn't show as much improvement as I thought it would.  So there you go, 11 months post op today.  I'm keeping good thoughts re: the future, & I'll do whatever I've got to do !!    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 07:29:57 pm »
Nancyann,  I too had a gold weight, a lower eyelid lift and an emg with very little results.  Now 28 months later my face is about 90% better.  I had the weight removed about a year an a half after it was put in. I have even had people ask me which side is the bad one.  I would definitely recommend on the the facial retrainers from the Bells Palsy website.  Education about what is going on is so helpful. I wish there were more therapist who specialized in this. It is a huge quality of life issue. Blessings, Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 06:31:39 am »
Thanks Cath:  I appreciate your words of encouragement.  BTW, was your facial nerve stretched or cut?  Also, did you start facial retraining after movement started?  Thanks again,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Zanybrainy

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 09:02:32 am »
Nancyann,  My facial nerve was stretched.  I started to see more improvement (surprisingly) after 18 months.  I did not go to Jackie Diels until over two years after surgery.  My insurance let me go to Jackie in network because they had no one that was familar with facial retraining.  My husband and I made it into a vacation.  My husband even went to coffee with her husband while Jackie and I worked.  I went because I wanted to feel like I had gotten educated answers about my face.  Blessings, Cath

Jeanlea

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 09:37:53 pm »
Cath,

I'm having an experience similar to yours.  I had 0 facial movement right after surgery.  I noticed some good improvement around 18 months.  I'm now 21 months and have just started facial retraining.  I'd read Jackie Diehls website and had been trying some of her exercises.  My PT also had given me some exercises to do in the very beginning.  He told me to get a mirror.  I've been working on symmetry.  My facial retrainer said that she didn't see any signs of synkineses. 
You said you had an eye weight and then had it taken out.  When did you get your eye weight?  Does your eye blink normally now? 
Your post really gave me hope for the future.  Thanks for sharing.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

SMC

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 11:42:26 am »
Hi

Can ayone tell me what is the web site for Jackie Diehl I never heard of it.  Thanks

Cheryl R

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 01:09:11 pm »
Do you mean the www.bellspalsy.ws site which has a facial retraining section written by her  or some other website?     
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

SMC

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:24 pm »
Yes thanks I found it.

Windsong

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2007, 02:03:42 am »
This one page has a bit of info about the facial nerve paralysis plus it mentions some time frames re recovery etc... thought i'd send it in as even a little bit of info can be helpful I guess and i was surprised that they say up front that nine months can pass before any movement at all is seen from a nerve graft.....
W.

oops sorry the link didn't come thru.... i think this is it:  http://www.earlowen.com.au/Facial%20Nerve%20Grafting.htm
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:46:10 pm by Windsong »

Zanybrainy

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 07:55:34 am »
Jean,  Sorry I am writing back so late, my computer is having a mind of it's own lately. I got my eye weight about 2 months after surgery and had it removed 16 months after surgery. It really helped and I was really glad to get it out!!! During the year and a half after surgery, both of my daughters got married.  They are four years apart and got married ten months apart. I just kind of gave it over to God and moved forward and it all worked out great.  Actually, I have been having some tickle sensations in the corner of my mouth.  On Fourth of july I had a sudden shock feeling in my tongue and then very strong tickle sensations.  I still have some numbness on the AN side but I am so much better.  Someone even asked which side it was! As you get more movement you will most likely will get sykinesis.  Don't do the extreme movements when you are doing exercises.  Until everything is activated, you don't want to emphasize the abnormal.  Check the bells palsy site for stretches for your face.  Jackie explained that once your nerves regenerate,  it is not weakness that causes you not to smile, but your muscles working against each other. My neck muscles definitely took over my face muscles.  By stretching them and my check muscles it has gradually released my smile muscles. I am definitely much better, although not 100%.  I like to think of it as giving more character to my face.  Have you noticed how many people that haven't earned it like us have a crooked face.  I am always telling my husband to look at someone's crooked face (I guess that makes mine ok). I am two and a half years post surgery and  thankfully my doctor is encouraging me to keep expecting improvements. Blessings, Cath