Author Topic: Question regarding vertigo??  (Read 9105 times)

BusyBonnie

Question regarding vertigo??
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:01 pm »
I am almost scheduled for Gamma Knife for December 27th. I am sooo excited to get this over with. My only concern is the doctor told me if I was having severe spinning vertigo he would actually recommend microsurgery. I have had some vertigo but not really spinning. Jumping, slowly moving objects and lightheadedness. Today my vertigo seems bad. I almost started spinning. I feel it may be coming to that. If I have GK won't it temporally make the vertigo worse?? Also, if the vertigo is this close to getting bad should I opt for microsurgery instead? The doctor said if we go GK and I have vertigo it could take years for the vertigo to subside. Any of you have any experience with this? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

Sam Rush

Re: Question regarding vertigo??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:21 pm »
If you are in otherwise good health with a small tumor 11mm, you might be better off w/ surgery at a place like House clinic w/  a 98% complete success rate with tumors that size, and no recuurance.  A few days of vertigo post-op, than gradual improvement.

Do some more research, radiation might be better for someone in not good health otherwise.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:40:07 pm »
Which doc told you this? GP, Neurologist, Neuro-otologist,  or the radiation oncologist? I'm 4 years post op and my head still spins alot of the time. A few days of vertigo for surgery? It's taken years for my balance and dizziness to get better.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

BusyBonnie

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:17:20 pm »
It was one of my neurologists. He didn't say I wouldn't have vertigo with the surgery but he thought I would recover faster if he were to cut the balance nerve as opposed to GK. He recommends GK if I'm not spinning. When i met with him he asked about my vertigo at the time and with the symptoms I was having he said if I was his daughter he would recommend GK. However, he said if I was having spinning vertigo than he would recommend microsurgery. My balance as of right now isn't bad, it comes and goes, but for the most part it doesn't effect me. My main concern with microsurgery is I have two children, 6 and 7, and my Husband cannot take off work to help me with them. There is no one else that can help. I am a waitress and cannot afford to lose much work time. My Husband also has multiple sclerosis and is having leg issues recently. We cannot afford for both of us to be out of work and hopefully he won't have to miss work but I have to keep that in mind when it comes to my situation. I was just wondering if anyone had vertigo before GK or CK and how the radiosurgery affected that? Thanks Sam for your thoughts, I will keep them in mind. Captian Deb, wow, that's exactly what I expect from microsurgery and that's why I want to avoid it if possible. Thanks again,

Lana
Mother and wife.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 09:51:16 pm »
Lana,

Sorry to hear about your vertigo. I too have times of vertigo, so bad that I will get sick. Sometimes it lasts for days. Most of my vertigo happens in the evening. I really hate the feeling and try my best to controll it. So far this year 2006 I have had 2 bad spells of vertigo, the year before I had 5 bad one's. Currently day to day I feel light headed, and slight dizzyness when I get up to quick. I have decided to go with surgery at House in LA (middle fossa) on the 19th of Dec, and I hope everything will come out good. It took me over a year to decide radiation or surgery. Scarry no matter which direction you go in. Keep thinking positive, I will keep in touch.

Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:38:45 pm »
Lana I'd agree with Brucifer.  I'd opt for the least invasive first.  I can't imagine waitressing after microsurgery.  Then again I can't wear high heels anymore either :o(  Sounds like you have a full plate.  I know for me when the weather is dreary or raining my wonky headed feeling is worse and when I'm tired.  Have you noticed a pattern when your vertigo is worse?  Stress can aggravate symtpoms not that any of us are under any (yes I'm trying to be funny). 

Hopefully you'll sail through your treatments with flying colors!
Keep us posted!

BusyBonnie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 01:45:24 am »
Thank you so much for all your input! I love this board and everyone is so helpful. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with GK. I'm just waiting for my appointment to be finalized ( they can't get a hold of my neurologist). It should be December 27th and I'm looking forward to it! I did feel it was my best choice but the vertigo was starting to scare me. Thank you all again for your help! I am sending hugs to all of you!
(------------------------- :D--------------------------)

battyprincess, I work at Bollweevil so luckily I get to wear sneakers! I haven't worn heels in years.

Quailruner, I am so sorry to hear how your vertigo has affected you. I wish you the best with your surgery and hope your recovery is fast.

brucifer, I wanted to personally thank you for your input. Thank you very much. I always see you on here helping so many people out and I think that is so wonderful.

oh yeah, battyprincess, I have noticed somewhat of a pattern on the vertigo. Usually in the evening and at night, especially when I lay down. Also, in large rooms with a lot to look at ( Bollweevil.) When looking at odd patterns like floor tile, carpet with different colors, computer screen, keyboard, etc. The tablecloths at work drive me nuts, they jump at me! Lol. Today though it's been all day and I don't really know why. My balance is off today too. I don't feel stressed, nor tired but it is cold out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:50:05 am by BusyBonnie »
Mother and wife.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm

nannettesea

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 03:13:04 pm »
Hi,
From one who suffered constant dizziness prior to surgery, and a bad outcome (dizziness much worse 1.3 years after), dual conditions of Mal de Debarquement, I would, in a minute, either: 1) watch and wait--the nerve will adjust in a while (suggest talking to someone at House Ear Clinic); 2) opt for radiation.  Dizziness might be worse for a while, but vertigo will go away eventually.

These are only my opinons, from one whose dizziness did NOT get better after complete vestibular resection (removal of vestibular nerves).

Nan

1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

mema

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 04:58:33 am »
Lana,  I'm new to this forum.  I suffered very bad attacks of vertigo for 5 yrs.  Stay in bed 7 days because whole room spinned.  I realize now meds really didn't help.  Then it seemed  I was constantly woozie and nauseated.  Then I was diagnosed with AN.  I had FSR 25 treatments and still have the daily feeling of woozy and nausea.  I don't even drive anymore.  Not only was it unsafe I felt like I had car sickness all the time.  Lost my hearing 5 months post treatment\

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.