Author Topic: Neck and shoulder pain post op  (Read 4254 times)

Boppie

Neck and shoulder pain post op
« on: November 06, 2005, 01:31:41 pm »
I read that neck pain was a problem after surgery.  Is this a common side effect of nerve damage, or is it about position during surgery? 

I still have some adhesions from a frozen shoulder injury ten years ago.  I only regained 90% of the mobility.  How will they get my neck/head around far enough?  I never sleep on my stomach any more due to the adhesion pain.  I guess this sounds silly, but I worry about the pain I'm going to experience that would be unrelated to tumor removal.

Monica

Re: Neck and shoulder pain post op
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 04:55:00 pm »
I had neck and shoulder pain about 5 months after surgery. A few weeks of PT which consisted of upper body exercises and deep muscle massage did the trick.  Posture is important so keep that in mind.  When I get an ache I usually put a herbal heat pack on it for about 15 minutes, take a tylenol and move on. Sometimes it is bad enough that I end up having to take a nap.

My surgery was done at Hopkins in Baltimore, excellent outcome - no facial damage. PT worked well for the balance issues. Tough getting used to the deafness in right ear. I' m fortunate that I have little vanity so I can easily tell people that I'm deaf if I can't understand what they are saying to me.

All the best -
Monica

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 06:17:57 pm »
Monica, what position do you think your body was in for the actual surgery?  What approach did the doctors use to remove the AN?  Did this positon contribute to your post op neck pain?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 10:46:04 am by Boppie »

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 07:01:26 am »
Boppie: You need not worry about how they will get you in the position needed to do the surgery....they will! You may have some increased neck pain post-operatively do to the positioning, light range of motion exercises likely will put you back to where you were pre-operatively. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 06:55:18 pm »
My tumor was found to have been pressing on the nerve that goes to the shoulder which explained my nagging shoulder pains for years prior to surgery. My neck and shoulder caused a lot of pain post op. God bless my Occupational Therapists. Their deep tissue massage and exercises helped me immensely. I was in the park-bench position for 20 hours during surgery.

I had a relapse after my Baha surgery bc I once again was not able to sleep on my head. I went to a massage therapist and after 30 mins I was as good as new.

Definitely check in to post op therapy for any pain you have. Deep tissue massage was one of the best parts of my surgery. LOL

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

littlemissrory

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:53:11 pm »
Hi.

I felt the majority of post surgical pain (there wasn't that much) was neck and shoulders due to the position you are in for surgery.  I had retrosigmiod-I was on my back with my head cranked to the right and pinned down.  I was more uncomfortable than painful.  Heating pads helped alot to loosen the muscles, then stretching.  After about a month I was able to go to the chiropractor...I found a brilliant one whose focus is all body wellness.  I also use acupunture, that made all the difference.

Best of luck.  Rory