Author Topic: Yea! It's finally out-mostly  (Read 4114 times)

kkweiher

Yea! It's finally out-mostly
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:11:31 pm »
 :) >:( ??? :-\ My surgey was march 16th and it lasted 12hrs.  They were able to get most of it. Some still left around the brain stem area if it acts up in the future we can zap it. My recovery according to my doctor has been amazing.  I have some stumbling moments but nothing like we thought it was going to be like. I went into the hospital on friday and went home on tuesday evening, never had any nausa since and my vision cleared up by the following friday.  I have some numbness in my face and left hand(I've never typed so slow)which is really getting on my nerves.  My doc said I need to be more patient(not my strong suit) but I am trying.  I feel alot better since I got off the pain meds.  I have n't taken anything but Tylenol for the last 11 days. :D :D :Dand I haven't had a crying spell in at least a week.  I have been cleared for work for next week but I'm not so sure of that I still get really tired an need to ta naps :( :( When I get tired I get fuzzy i the thought process and very clumbsy.  I have to go in friday to have  heart monitor put on coz i had some arythmias while in the hospital.  At one point my heart rate was down to 47. Not good but it seems fine now.   I've been out a few times and sometimes I feel I'm in a world of my own. Could be the result of total hering loss in my left ear but i guess in time i will adjust to that.  Glad to have this forum to talk andget info.  keeps me from feeling mad at the world which i have been a few times so far.
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

FlyersFan68

Re: Yea! It's finally out-mostly
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:32:17 pm »
Welcome Back...Please keep us posted during your recovery!  :)

Obita

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:33:21 am »
Hi kkweiher:

Congrats on being a postie!  ;D

Those feelings of being in a world of your own pass very quickly.  That truly is a feeling only an AN patient could understand.  The more you get out, the better you will feel.

I made the mistake of going to buy a futon a few days after I got home from the hospital.  I had cousins comming to stay with me for a few days and decided they needed a futon to sleep on.  I bought the first one I saw just to get the heck out of there and have regretted it ever since.  I was so overwhelmed in the large furniture store, I thought I was going to loose it right there.  My mind, not my stomach contents.

Good luck to you.  Ease into work if you can.  That can be very overwhelming too.  I did part time for a few weeks and it was the best decision I ever made. 

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 05:43:37 am »
Congratulations!  Sounds like you're recovering well.  It does take a while to get readjusted to the big wide world out there, but it'll get easier each day.

Don't push too hard!   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:05:05 am »
I am glad you are doing well and yes, patience is a virtue; not to mention the word you will hear often from family, doctors and friends--sigh!  After seeing the size of your tumor and reading that it was around/against (?) the brain stem makes me wonder if size matters with brain stem involvement.  The large tumors tend to press against the brain stem where the small to medium stay inside the canal.  Maybe it is that the tumor growth on the nerve is closer to the opening or end of the canal?  Just curious, and look forward to reading more positive news in your recovery. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:09:48 pm »
Hi, Kimbra:

Congratulations on your successful surgery and rapid recovery! 

I'm also impatient so I found my first 2 weeks at home (following 4½ days in the hospital) to be frustrating at times.  However, although I dozed a lot, I felt much better after the effects of the anesthesia and hospital meds fully subsided.  Once I 'came around', I did my balance exercises, walked quite a lot and in no time, I was practically 'as good as new', including resuming driving and generally doing the things I had been doing before my AN symptoms kicked in and drove me the doctors office.  You'll adjust to the hearing loss in time (we all do) and I'm sure you'll be in fine shape in 'no time' - or something close to it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kkweiher

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 10:36:10 pm »
Hello everyone....I went back to work this week for about 4hrs each day. So far so good....by the end of that time I was ready for a short nap.  Seems like I got a little unstable on my feet and a bit fuzzy in the head.  It was great to be around other people, thats for sure....[/color]  I think being alone was what was making me have some crying spells. That part has gotten better, but now I seem to be feeling more nauseated.  Not sure what is up with that. Still don't have all the feeling in my face and mouth but the left hand and arm are getting better.  YES I KNOW BE PATIENT ::) :P I feel blessed that I am doing well and I know it could be worse......pity pity I know, sometimes I just do feel sorry for myself and I hate that too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:54:54 am by kkweiher »
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 06:40:30 am »
Hi Kimbra;  Congrats on a successful surgery!!!!
               Don't worry, this is an emotional time -  shedding a few tears is an emotional release, does a body good believe it or not.

Ah, the magic of paitience, once you get it, you won't want to let it go !!!!!
Continued healing, stay well my friend,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis