Author Topic: HMO APPEAL  (Read 10674 times)

jimmy r

HMO APPEAL
« on: April 03, 2007, 07:38:51 pm »
I am scheduled for surgery at House on 4/10 and leaving maine fior LA on 4/7. I learned at 5pm on Friday, 3/30 that Aetna, my HMO was refusing coverage for HEI after telling my primary care and house that I was covered. HEI is in the CA Aetna HMO but at the 11th hour they are saying that i must see a doctor in my network, specifically Dennis Poe or Samuil Merchant in Boston. I believe that the Boston surgeons are excellent surgeons but i have been advised by several neurosurgeons that it is imperative that I have a recurent surgery performed by someone who has experience with recurences, specifically Dr Brackmann. ( 3 cm removed by Dr House in 1987, now 2.8 cm). I have filed an emergency appeal. I was assured by an ENT surgeon that I will prevail but what a pain. I have made all my plans and am mentally ready to revove the tumor. It appears from other posts that others have prevailed as well.  Of course no one will return my phone calls from Aetna so I have so sweat it out.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: HMO APPEAL
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:54:47 am »
Well, phooey on them!  I don't have personal experience, but know many others who have prevailed in such situations.  Keep on them - as you know, you are your own best advocate!

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:33 pm »
Jimmy R - Good luck - I hate insurance companies although I've been very lucky with my BC-BS old fashioned indemnity plan but I do pay dearly for it!!  My advice - keep at them and definitely keep a log of all conversations - dates, person you spoke to, etc.  Also, keep copies of paperwork. 
Keep us posted - BOO to the HMO's.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:41 pm »
I lost my first appeal. I will see the Doctors that they have approved (Dr Mekena at Mass Eye and ear, and Dr Dennis Poe). I will see what their experience is and then decide if I will file a second appeal.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

krbonner

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:27:16 pm »
I'm truly sorry you lost the appeal.  You really should be able to see who you want, regardless of geography.

That said, you'd be in great hands with McKenna.  See my post in your other thread...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

jimmy r

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:41:54 pm »
I have been told that with a recurence surgery it is harder to find the facial nerves becaause of scaring and thus the need for a surgeon with a lot of recurence experience. This is why i picked brackmann who has performed surgery on about 50 recurences.  But i am feeling a little better reading the positive comments about mekena, who trained with brackmann.

krbonner

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:46:54 am »
I can't comment about his experience with recurrances, unfortunately.  That's definitely something to quiz him about when you meet with him.  I'd also be very interested about knowing his experience, so please let us know what he says if you can.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

amylynn

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:23:58 pm »
Jimmy dont give up, use the appeals.  I filed a complaint with the state against my HMO.  After many stressfull days I prevailed. 
Amylynn
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

lxg57

• "it's always Happy Hour in my head!"
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 05:35:27 pm »
Hi, Everyone-  I'm really sorry to hear about bad experiences with your HMO- especially since I'm a fellow AN patient who works as a claims supervisor for an HMO---Please don't throw any rotten tomatoes-  I'm a nice person who cares about my subscribers!!!

ANYWAY---one suggestion for everyone.  If your insurance company is not cooperating with you--not returning calls, not giving you guidance about avenues for appeals, reversing previous decisions, etc. first try speaking with a manager in the customer service or service recovery area.  If you still get no response or are not happy with that response, contact the Insurance Department in your state.  My state (NY) has very strict guidelines about how we must treat our members and failure to comply results in fines and censures in addition to ill will. 

Best of luck to you, Jimmy, I know how tough it is to function with that stranger in your head- you certainly don't need to fight with your insurance company too.
Linda

2.3 cm right sided AN,  removed by retro sigmoid apporach by Kevin Walter and John Wayman at URMC(Strong Hospital) on 2/21/07.  8th cranial nerve lost, Right single sided deafness.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 02:42:25 pm »
Hi Jimmy:  are you still pre op ?    If so, see if you can get your HMO to re-locate your insurance/HMO to the West coast.   I checked at one pont re: having surgery in NY, I would have had to change my insurance from Fl. to NY;   it can be done but is a PIA.
All the best my friend,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jimmy r

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 01:05:22 pm »
I have met with both Dr Mekena and Dr Barker. They have both expressed confidence in performing my surgery. Dr Mekena says he has done the second most acoustics in the country after Brackmann and has done about 30 recurences. Dr Barker also has a lot of experience . My concern is that they are recomending the retro approach. One says about 8 hours of surgery, the other about 10 to 12 hours. Brackmann is recomending the translab approach which would be 4 to 6 hours. It is my belief that I am debating on 2 top notch surgical teams. I am struggleing with 12 hours of surgery vs. 6 hours. This quite frankly scares me.  Even though I have been denied by HMO, I am acting like I have a choice and i am stressing over whether to file a second appeal or try the switching HMO's strategy ( an intersesting idea, thank you).
  I am in Maine, so Boston would cetainly be cheaper and more convient if I need follow up care. I know I have 2 good choices but I am stressing none the less. Thanks to everybody for your support. I am sorry to have missed the Boston brunch yesterday - I went to my daughters guitar recital.

tuckerro

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:35:10 pm »
Jimmy R

In my mind, it all comes doewn to the matter of your comfort level.  If you are more comfortable with Brackmann, which I was, continue the fight.  I fought with my insurance for 6 + months after diagnosis to get with Brackmann.  If there is a will, there is a way.  If you feel comfortable with the Boston folks, then I saw go for it.  Best wishes in your decision.  Ron T.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

jimmy r

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 01:28:57 pm »
Ron T

Can you please give me more details about your insurance issues? Were you in an HMO, who was the company, did you use a lawyer, what swayed them?

Thanks

tuckerro

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 01:45:20 pm »
Jimmy R.

I am an attorney.  So, while I thought of hiring my own attorney, after it was all said and done, I argued my own fate.  If it helps, I can forward you some of my letters, and appeals. 

MY HMO's fight, was the in plan, out of plan distinction.  There was a guy in plan that could do this, but only had 40 procedures under his belt.  Clearly a novice, as compared to Brackmann, who does hundreds of these per year, and thousands in his career.

I appealled to the end. The insurance doesn't think most people will.  My plan had the final appeal as a panel of people, unrelated to my insurance plan at all, in a different state.  The panel was a physician, nurse, and someone else in the medical field, totally unrelated to my insurance.  My  insurance had told me I could get microsurgery inplan from the novice, or go to Texas, and get Gamma Knife at a qaulifying or related hospital, with two other doctors.  I did my research on those fellows, which were nice, but inexperienced, and left me feeling panicked at the thought of them handling my procedure.

I argued like crazy, picked apart my patient's rights, and other documents for anything I could stick my foot on and argue about.  I argued that it had been my experience in dealing with Presbyterian, and through my entire appeal process and ordeal, that I have been specifically denied numerous rights granted to me as a member, while to my knowledge being in complete compliance with the payment of my premiums and all of my responsibilities under the Subscriber Agreement.  As a result of the interference with my rights, I have not been able to adequately defend myself nor my position in this appeal process, nor have I been provided with all of the information necessary to me in this appeal. 

I also argued that if a doctor didn't want to see me, they wouldn't force him to, and that as a patient, I should have the same choice.  I thought that was taken well by the panel.  I also argued that when comparing the track records of Brackmann versus the ones they wanted, the total experience, success rate, percentage of bad cases, etc. made it clear that there wasn't an in plan doctor of the magnitude that I could get out of plan, and that argument I think is the one that  swayed them to let me go out of plan. 

l am happy to discuss further with you.  I left out some of my arguments, but tried to throw the book at them, and lucky for me, they ducked, and I won!.   email me, because I can't always find time to check the forum for posts, and I check my email far more often.

RON.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

tuckerro

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 02:13:01 pm »
JimmyR.

How did it turn out?