Author Topic: claustrophobia  (Read 5272 times)

jeansear

claustrophobia
« on: March 28, 2007, 10:50:00 am »
How claustrophobic is the mask, MRI and anything else associated with the GK. Do they give you a sedative before they start the procedure.

Can anyone walk me through the whole thing from start to end? I am sure its been posted before, but I am new here.

Thanks

tony

Re: claustrophobia
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:26:24 am »
Actually the MRI is rather harder than the gamma knife machine (there is more roomin GK)
The MRI is best met with a sort of trance like rest (eyes shut etc)
This Zen-like approach is the least stressful way
Best regards
Tony

Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:36 am »
Jeansear,

here is a link to some videos which should address most of your questions. There are several video's listed all involving CK treatments for different parts of the body. I would suggest watching the technology overview one as it also shows the metal frame of GK being attached as opposed to the mesh mask used with CK. Otherwise a lot of the process flow is the same for both. Neither machine is particularly claustrophic but GK is more "MRI like" than CK if that is an issue for you.

http://www.cksociety.org/PatientInfo/radiosurgery_videos.asp

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Katrider

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:57:51 pm »
Hi Jeansear, I cannot comment on the GK or CK as I am undergoing Novalis treatment.  But I can say that I did and am experiencing claustrophobia with my mesh mask.  This took me by complete surprize on the first treatment day and I was given some medication to help me relax which worked great  :o.  I have never had claustrophobia before so I have no idea where this is/was coming from.  I have been working through this reminding myself that the feeling though real is an irrational feeling and I concentrate hard on pleasant thoughts listening to music recalling happy events, i.e., vacations etc...  This is helping/working for me.  I have a wonderful medical team and we take things day by day.  I hope this gives some input for you.  Good luck.   ;D

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:03:20 pm »
I am very grateful that I am not freaked out by having a closed MRI.  A lot of people are.  GK wasn't closed in at all, that I remember. Plenty of room.  I too, approach the MRI with a Zen like attitude.  Just close my eyes and try to relax - although with all that banging, clanking, grinding going on, that's pretty impossible. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 02:03:46 pm »
I think this my scare a lot of people and is not the usual method of having CK. My mask was very tight. When it was clamped down it pushed my teeth into my lip and made it bleed. I had CK with only two small pieces of tape to keep my head still. On the thrid day noting just had to be very still. Guess it worked because the AN is smaller and shows necrosis after a year.

I just about called the whole thing off when they told me I would have it without a mask. I was assured by three doctors and the radian tech that it had been done before. I am so terrible in closed places that they have to give me drugs before the MRI and put a cloth over my eyes so I can't see. Maybe you could have a cloth over your eyes during treatmetn. I works wonders for me.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:35:08 pm »
I too try the zen like state during an mri. Sometimes i pretend i am listening to indian tom toms banging with an echo for a reply lol. For my first mri's i had a sedative as i am claustrophobic ( have to get off elevators if they are too packed etc.) but now I don't bother. Sometimes I open my eyes and look in the mirror and stare at the guys head who is in the controll room lol...plus i like that they talk into your earphones and tell you how long each stage is going to be. I had a few mris in another place  a couple of years ago and they play a cd for you but truly who can hear it over the banging and clunking so focusing on some visualization in my mind is better. Most of the time i keep my eyes closed.

As for  my linac fsr, the head frame was fine as you can see  around etc. though for me i found it heavy but then i have neck problems and once i was lying down and bolted  i didn't feel the weight. I even learned to talk around the mouthpiece they use lol..
I don't know what the mesh would feel like for ck or the gk though.
W.

kat

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 04:40:54 am »
Hi Jeansear

If you suffer from claustrofobia then the closed MRI might be a bit of a challenge and the same goes for GK unless you are sedated . I was very pleasantly sedated before my GK and did not find it too much of a problem since I was allowed to listen to music during the procedure and as the GK was not as noisy as the MRI I could actually enjoy listening to it. I was told that persons who suffer severely from Claustrofobia can be very heavily sedated and in the very worst cases given general anasthetic to get them through the procedure . I do not know if the same applies in USA since my GK was here in UK .

Best regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

goinbatty

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:46:35 pm »
check out this site.  The link to a video demonstration of the entire procedure is at the bottom of the page. 

http://www.mcg.edu/som/neurosurgery/SE%20Gamma%20Knife%20Center/GKWhatToExpectP3.htm
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change