Author Topic: Chris Update  (Read 3796 times)

chrissmom

Chris Update
« on: April 01, 2007, 01:17:28 pm »
Hi everyone...

Chris was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma a year ago and it was a year ago that I found all of you.  You have been with us through 6 operations.  It has been quite the journey.

Chris visited the facial nerve center this week.  His facial nerve is coming back faster than any of us realized.  He is able to raise his eyebrows now, which indicates that his own facial nerve is regenerating.  The anastomosis has helped the lower part of his face.  He can whistle and we see some movement.  He was given very specific exercises to do.  He has been diligently doing them and we are seeing the results already.  The Facial Nerve Center at UPMC in Pittsburgh was wonderful.  I didn't even know that this place existed.  We learned so much as he spent 2 hours there.  He will continue facial nerve therapy for a while now.

His physical therapy for walking and balance has now ended.  He seems to be healthy and happy.  We are hoping that the 4mm remnant of the tumor still inside his head will shrivel up and go away forever. 

Chris plans to go back to college full-time in the fall.  He seems more focused now.  He has been through more than most guys his age.  My goal now is to help him adjust to the "new self" he has found.  We still need to do something about the single-sided deafness.  I'll still be following all of you.

Rita

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Chris Update
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 01:52:06 pm »
Hey Rita, I just responded under facial paralysis ( & yea!!, I remembered your name !!!! - geuss my memory's doing better !!)
I'll say it again "GREAT NEWS !!!!!"
Wishing Chris  continued improvements - Denise is also having great results - gives me much hope !!!!!
Take care my friend,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:42:09 pm »
Rita:

Thanks for the update and the positive news about Chris's recovery, which seems to progressing fairly rapidly.  I'm so glad to learn about this considering the AN-related problems Chris had and the resulting turmoil you went through as you advocated for and supported him throughout all of it, even up until today.  Now that Chris is well on the way back to a fairly normal young man's life, albeit with a few alterations, I hope you'll give yourself some sort of 'vacation'.  You've earned it.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:26:00 am »
Rita,
I am so very happy to hear about Chris' ongoing success in his recovery.   I wish him continued success.  I agree with Bruce you deserve a vacation.

Take care, tell Chris hello,

I with you all the BEST!
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:41:04 am »
I'm glad to hear you are so happy with UPMC. I saw a lot of improvement in a short amount of time. Todd rocks! :) Best of luck to you and Chris!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:15:28 pm »
whistle !! holy cow .. is making good progress !!!!  ;D great to hear !!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

chrissmom

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:36:46 pm »
Hey Pembo,  you are so right...Todd rocks.  He really knows what he is doing. 
Did you go there too ?

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 07:09:16 am »
Hi Mom. I went to Todd last summer 2 years after surgery. My face went from 31% - 65% in only 4 months. Unfortunately I got lazy and haven't been back since December. We live about 3 hrs away so it's hard to make the trip during the scholl year. (I have 3 kids).  But he definitely knows what he is talking about and I loved using the bio-feedback training. Every trip was well worth the time and effort. My plan is to go back this spring.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

chrissmom

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 12:48:16 pm »
Great, maybe we'll see you there.  We are seeing rapid improvement in Chris.  I got an appointment for him at 5:00, that gives me time to get home from school and drive to Pittsburgh.  I can't wait for summer vacation, I really need one.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 04:45:10 pm »
Great news - Go Chris.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 11:49:53 am »
Rita,

How the heck did I miss this update?  :o  I am so sorry! 

GREAT news on Chris!!! You all are doing so wonderful and tickled for the update! Thank you SO much for sharing this with us.. and please remember to take time for yourself... you have certainly earned it!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

chrissmom

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 12:38:09 pm »
A cruise sounds good !

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 01:03:16 pm »
A cruise sounds good !

I second that! *raises hand* Royal Carrib "Crown & Anchor" member here :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"