Author Topic: Discussion about Single Sided Deaf, what is it like?  (Read 24800 times)

Boppie

Re: Discussion about Single Sided Deaf, what is it like?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 07:29:56 pm »
Well, thanks Richey for posting this.  I might need to go to the Cros some day.  My good ear has lost upper range hearing and I'll probably loose more as time goes by.  I am glad to hear the Cros works for you.  Some details, please?  How long does a pair of batteries work for you?  What amount of volume do you get?  How long have you been using the Cros units that you have now?  What is the life expectancy of those units? 

My audiologist said most units of all types she sells last 5 to 6 years.  She says the technology turnover is about that long.  I'd love to hear your experience.  I'll bet others would benefit from you knowledge, too!

Richey

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 06:15:46 pm »
Questions:

Battery life: I have to change the batteries about every five days, The first years supply comes with the purchase

Volume: since it is programmable they can do a lot, I have three different programs, and they can set each one different. They hook a computer up somehow through the battery contact and then there is just a very wide range of how they can change the programs. I have had it adjusted several times and it's very touchy and hard to get it exactly like you want it. But volume is no problem there is plenty of it but if you give it too much you get too much background. The audio guy has been very nice, never seems to mind me asking him to tweak things a little.

I have been using the aid since Sept. of 06 and they have a two year warranty and will replace them once should you lose or damage them in that two years period.

Life expectancy, I don't remember exactly what he told me but I think he said they could last as long as ten years with good care but that the technology is moving faster than that.

You did not ask but don't mind telling what I paid. It was $2400 and the company in Interton and I think he said that they are in Germany

Boppie

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 08:11:20 pm »
Thanks for the details, Richey.  It sounds like you are happy with the Cros.  You are generous to tell others about your hearing aid.  I find that social life is so much better with a hearing aid.

One other question, have you heard anything about the Radio Shack battery for hearing aid.  Another user here says hers lasted 9 days!

mema

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 05:19:55 am »
A benefit to SSD is that when I lie in bed on my good hearing ear, I don't hear my hubby snoring and can fall asleep.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

er

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 09:30:45 am »
For myself,
If there are to many people speaking to me at one time the room feels like it is spinning and I start losing my balance, and I get confused. I am not able to filter the noise and it is like a pollution of mumbles. So my escape is to live the room or try to ask them very nicely in which it is hard for me because by this time I’ve already lost it, to please one at a time or I am not able to hear anyone.
And like everyone else I don't know where the noise is coming from, this is very frustrating.
eve

Boppie

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 07:34:18 pm »
I wanted to rejuvenate this topic: SSD has two prominant characteristics. 

1. You have only mono hearing, that is, you do not hear on two sides of the head.  All sound comes into the one functioning ear.  You can't determine which way the sound is located. 

2.  In a room full of people speaking in groups, all sounds that enter your ear are equal in value.  That means you can't pick out the words of the person you are conversing with.  Comprehension is limited to context and visual clues.  Lip reading and/or a hearing aid helps this situation.

robinm

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 10:45:32 pm »
Having SSD can be frustrating in some situations...like people calling and you don't know where to turn tio..a somewhat stranger tries to whisper in your deaf ear..or when your cell phone rings and you don't in which pocket it is ringing from (I find this very hilarious). I do best to deal with these situations...I use my visual cues as much as possible..wherever I go, I try to "see" the objects that can produce noise...I remember whether I put my cell phone in the right or left pocket or otherwise I check first from touching the pockets from outside..I avoid as much as possible getting whispers on the left side..I try not to start conversation when the other person is at some distance or on my deaf side..I sleep with my good side up so that I can hear alarm (from my cell phone, which is usually not very loud)..asking people to raise hand before asking questiions during presentation..By being careful I try not to miss "necessary" sounds as much as possible..and also not making my disability recognizable to the people who do not need to know. I think we can do our best and live "normal" life with SSD..at least we are not humans of 10.000 years ago..otherwise it would be hard to locate prey or save ourselves from predators.

Robin

Shrnwldr

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 08:37:24 am »
I think the one issue that bothers me mostly is the locating sound one.  I love to walk and find it a bit unnerving that I don't "hear" someone come up behind me.  I can't tell you how many times I have actually jumped when a bicyclists or a skateboarder passes me up.  I usually walked in the early morning in a local park/greenbelt/creek path alone and now I can see that will not be a good idea unless I have a companion.  I will definitely have to make some minor adjustments. 

Sharon

2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

chopper

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 01:13:48 pm »
Coming up on a year with my new friend, SSD.

Things of note -

You'll find yourself pulling a few 360's sometimes trying to locate the direction of a sound.

Conversations in loud environments just plain suck. You may find yourself cupping your good ear to get a better grip on what's being said.

You will hear a lot of words wrong, which has the potential to change the whole dynamic of a sentence for better or worse.  That lessens after awhile.

I've got an alarm that gets progressively louder, and usually sleep on the "good" side.  75% of the time I smack the snooze button when the alarm is screeching at the highest volume and most annoying pitch.  Love that thing though, wouldn't trade it for anything.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

lora

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 06:49:23 pm »
I think the most annoying thing for me is my family forgetting I cannot hear out my left side. 
They will talk to me in these long paragraphs while the t.v. is going, the neighbor is mowing the lawn and someone else is talking...they might as well be in another room...and sometimes they are.  Do they not believe me??  At this point I just yell Marco as kin of a joke...I told them I could never play again...
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Catflower

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 07:31:26 am »
I think the most annoying thing for me is my family forgetting I cannot hear out my left side. 
They will talk to me in these long paragraphs while the t.v. is going, the neighbor is mowing the lawn and someone else is talking...they might as well be in another room...and sometimes they are.  Do they not believe me??  At this point I just yell Marco as kin of a joke...I told them I could never play again...

This is my most annoying issue with SSD also.  I also find that I get quite tired if I'm in a situation where there is a lot of background noise and I'm trying to participate in a conversation. 

Rc Moser

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 08:43:34 pm »
Sucks IMO, but what can you do!!!.   The part that get me the most is not being ablle to tell what direction sound or noise is coming from. I've had several near hits in the parking lot cause I can't hear or tell which way cars are coming from. I am to the point now where I look both ways before I cross a one way parking. Course there are always the clowns that speed down the lanes trying to bet the lights and traffic.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Boppie

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 12:05:48 am »
Has anyone requested a handicap parking tag for SSD?  I've considered one but wonder if I'd make a target of myself with the label.

Sorry to say, but, I take full advantage of my grey hair.  I notice people (most) slow down for me. 

I don't grocery shop alone after dark any more.  I am too worried about traffic in the parking lot.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:07:31 am by Boppie »

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 04:37:42 am »
Boppie,

I acquired the "handicap" tag awhile ago and have used it in a few instances during the evening hours as walking in a parking lot in the dark proves too much for my balance.  I told my PCP I need this for times I'll working at night and he saw the benefits.  Not only do I have and use this tag, but I'll also grab my cane from the backseat to give me a "third leg" to help out. 

First time I used it I was thinking how many students would question my abilities as a Yoga Instructor when they saw I use the handicap spot AND walk in with a cane only to mysteriously snap to upon walking inside under the lights!  I still am amazed by the "feeling" that courses through my body when I change from low light to high light--like stepping over to the other side!  A Twilight Zone experience for sure!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 07:22:58 am »
Hi Boppie:  There were times when I wished I HAD gotten a Handicap Sticker, but I geuss I didn't want the 'label', even if it would've been only temporary.  I figured the extra walking in a parking lot would do me good.   I think this is an individual decision - I sure could have used it the first few months, but decided against it.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis