Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 3892 times)

Michael R.

Surgery
« on: March 29, 2007, 01:20:29 pm »

I have been very remiss in checking the msb as of late. Want to thank everyone for the great information and your words of encourgement.
It looks like my surgery will be July 6th @ MA Gen. Hospital. A lot of apprehension my part, but got to get this done. Any sugestions for the recovery period?

Thank you
Michael
10 X 12 neuroma removed July 6th, 7hrs 45min by Drs. Barker  & Poe
tumor was attached to auditory nerve resulting in total loss of hearing in left ear.
Doctors and MGH staff were great.

jtd71465

Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:29:19 pm »
Start walking now.  I my case my legs felt tired after walking around for just a small amount of time after surgery.  I was walking and / or jogging prior to surgery, so I was in fairly good shape.  I also had not touched a book since college, I have probably read over 15 during recovery.

Best of luck,

Joe-

BTW - at week 6 / 7 post-op I was back to work pretty much full time.
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

FlyersFan68

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:17:19 pm »
When you get home take it easy with plenty of rest. Drink lots of water. Get some light exercise by walking around here and there. Three years ago seems so long ago now. 

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:54:52 pm »
I have been very remiss in checking the msb as of late. Want to thank everyone for the great information and your words of encourgement.
It looks like my surgery will be July 6th @ MA Gen. Hospital. A lot of apprehension my part, but got to get this done. Any sugestions for the recovery period?

Thank you
Michael

Who are your surgeons?

For recovery, take it easy and listen to your body.  I found that when I pushed myself one day, I'd have to spend the next day resting more.  And for the first time in my life, I took baths instead of showers.  Great for relaxing, and it was just too hard to stand to wash.  A handheld showerhead made it possible to wash my hair while sitting.  Basically, you'll need to rest a lot and expect that you'll feel lousy for a few weeks.  But by 6 weeks, I was taking care of my two little boys by myself during the day - not a task for the weak!   ;)

If you can, please join us for brunch on April 29th in Worcester.  See http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2914.0 for the details.  There will be many of us there who had surgery at MGH.  I went to my first brunch about 2 months before my surgery, and it did a lot to help ease my mind.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)