Author Topic: "Fullness and Pressure" in Head Post AN Survery  (Read 10698 times)

Kaye

"Fullness and Pressure" in Head Post AN Survery
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:35:37 am »
Don't kow where to go or what to do - posted question on other area on site, but really desperate.  Spouse had AN surgery 2000 - - now he's really claiming he's getting worse especially "Fullness and Pressure", on top and right side of entire head.  Has had it but now constantly complains - - Says if he cups his hands and pushes down on top of head relieves feelings a bit. (It's not a headache - says fullness/pressure)   MRI in Dec. shows nothing - - Neurologist in NYC - tells him, "result of surgery - just live with it".  If result of surgery why is it getting so much worse - - he now says, "you have no idea of how bad I am", (there are some other issues also - but this is the one he claims is more distressing - - says his speech is getting worse (and I agree - - if you know him  he is starting to slur some words - - evern though eye exams are same - he also says eyes are bothering him).   So what to do????   I'm asking for suggestions - - for the best, the very best Neurologist or whatever for helping with these issues.  We live in South Jersey - - I'll take him anywhere to get him some relief!  I thought things would stay status quo after surgery (I mean after major recovery year or so after operation), not deteriorate.  This is just so difficult to deal with.   Joe is just turned 67 - - I just turned 62.  Need help and direction.  Thanks
Joe and Kaye

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: "Fullness and Pressure" in Head Post AN Survery
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:00:11 am »
Hi Kaye:  Geez, about 7 years post op...it DOES sound like there is SOMETHING going on.
             I had that terrible fullness post op, but it is lessening now & I'm just a little over 9 months post op.
            Your're right, he needs to see a neurologist... I don't live northeast but others do & will help with
            the name of a neurologist,  HANG IN THERE !!!!, help will be on the way.
            Best wishes to you & your husband,     Nancy
            ps.  I just saw your other thread,  I also ended up with facial paralysis, balance, eye issues, etc.
                 I wish his neurologist would LISTEN to his symptoms & not just rely on the lab, etc. results - both need to be taken into account....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 09:03:45 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:33:47 am »

what type of surgery did he have -- retrosigmoid, trans-lab, or what?

is he doing any some of physical therapy? walking etc...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kaye

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:20:27 pm »
Nancy and Joe:   Thank you for the quick responses.  I'm not sure kind of approach - I believe it was sub-occicipital -just below and behind right ear.  3cm AN removed at Staten Island University Hosptial ( used to live on SI), by Dr. Victor Ho.  Same surgeon who two months prior did a cervical plating and fusion - - it's a very long story and no use rehashing mess!  However, Joe is being seen by Neurologist in Beth Israel in NYC for follow-up.  He has had yearly MRI's and they show no sign of turmor.
As I stated his residual effects from AN surgery, loss of hearing - right ear - balance issues (they removed vestibular nerve), facial numbness all around  right side and the fullness/tingling in head, nasal drip and eye tearing when he eats, still some mild facial paralysis, very slight slurring of speech and, noticing some short term memory loss.   - - He did go for extensive PT after surgery - - we even went to specialized balance hospitals.  Apparently, Joe feels that over the last year or year and 1/2 he's getting much worse with the balance issue and the "Fullness/Pressure in his Head".  He also suffers from severe arthritis - had spinal decompression lower back surgery last spring to hopefully alleviate some of the pressure on the nerves on his spine.  He's facing bi-lateral knee replacement.  As a matter of fact, we  just got back from Ortho MD for Synvasc (spelling ??) Shots in his knees to hold off.  (Thank God these shots make his a bit better and hold for 6 months at a time).  So, as you can see, the poor guy has a really full plate.  I told him about site while driving to and from MD and  that some other people have some of the same issues post surgery.  He says he can deal with almost anything but his head problem is driving him (& me) NUTS!.  What or where do you suggest we start now.  Anyone ever tried accupuncture?  Just a thought, I'm getting desperate.   Thanks Kaye
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:33:01 pm by Joef »
Joe and Kaye

tony

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 01:25:35 pm »
Sorry to hear of your troubles
1) it maybe a good idea to obtain copies of the MRI scans
you can get them either hard copy or electronic
Maybe most the recent, and if possible from 2-3yrs back
The reason is : almost anyone you go to will
need these to offer an informed opinion
and in any case no harm in a second opinion
2)There is a chance - just a chance, that other meds
are making things harder - for example (with one balance nerve)
a simple glass of wine - is like taking 2 or 3
some other meds play havoc with balance
- a small cold now has REAL meaning for me
just go through the med cabinet and see if anything
started in the last 18mths maybe part of
the trouble
3)Neck tension can and does cause head/pressure sensations
Think about sitting a car with the seat wrong
how stressy and painful it can become
You mention other work on the spine
could this be causing side effects ?
A few ideas for you
Hope things improve soon
Best regards
Tony

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:27:40 pm »
Hi Kaye - yep, I've got all those same AN issues post op, but I'm only about 9 months out, he's almost 7 years !!!!  Still think you should see another neurologist for a 2nd opinion, but I don't know any up that way.
            I'm going for acupuncture, but that's for the facial paralysis.....
            I do, however, when the 'head stuffiness' gets really bad, take Aleve, & actually that does help some (sorry, didn't remember that when I wrote earlier, just chalk it up to the memory problems post AN !!).
Best wishes,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 06:33:42 pm »
Hearing loss ... its the least issue of the postie AN evils .. but then again, I do have a BAHA which helps

Facial paralysis .. I have that too .. my Dr. says to wait some more (for me) .. give it 3 years ... if your hubby is going on 7 years... have you discussed a 12/7 nerve graft with anyone?... I think everyone thats had it done has been happy with the results

drip and tears when eating ... I get that a little ... I always need a napkin nearby!

short term memory loss .. we all seem to have a little .. I think the bigger the AN was .. the more pronounced the loss. my therory is because the brain can become miss-shaped because of the AN .. when it returns to the correct shape.. the nerve pathways are different -- we need a different route when what we are used too!

balance ... ever work a 24 hour shift .. or party all night  8) .. and skip the nights sleep .. and the next night you all most have a "drunk" feeling ..a little off balance? .... because we depend on out joints and muscles and our ears for balance (after a long sleepless period we are tried!) .... even people who lose BOTH ears can still walk ... but its harder ... without the inner ears .. we use other sences ... eyes , muscles , and joints ... and gets harder in the dark etc.. and you said he is having arthritis and knee problems ? .. I would bet its the lose of good joints thats giving him balance problems ... *** note, I'm not a doctor ***

the "Fullness/Pressure in his Head".  is a little worrysome ... I assume headaches are not a problem? does he ever take any sort of blood presure meds ? ever been tested for CSF pressure ? .. you said the MRI looked good? .. ever get a secound opinion??

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Obita

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »
Hi Kaye:

Welcome!!  The first thing I though of when I read this post was that maybe it was CSF buildup.  That could explain so much.  I did not know there was a test for CSF pressure (yeah Joef! thanks).  That sounds like something well worth checking out.  I am no expert but, from reading everything here and there for 3 years now, I have never read anything where pressure gets worse years post op unless there is regrowth.  I hope you can find a doctor that will listen to you.

Good luck, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:25 am »
Kaye,

Welcome to the site. You will find a lot of support and sympathetic ears here.

Did the head pressure start after the spinal decompression surgery last spring? Cerebral spinal fluid is a consideration with both AN surgery and spinal surgery. A time-line of events and symptoms might help to identify the source of the problem.

I agree with the other posters, sounds like he needs to find a doctor that will listen. It is hard to find the specialty that will take on  "head pressure problems" when you have had a previous AN.

The AN surgeon's job was done when the recurrent AN was ruled out after the MRI.
Internists would probably refer you to the AN surgeon.
The back surgeon might have some answers, if the head pressure started after the surgery.
A headache neurologist or pain clinic anesthesiologist might be able to help with the pressure.
A general neurologist might have some answers, but might refer you back to the AN doctor.
ENT to rule out sinus problems?

I understand your frustration and encourage you to keep pushing for answers, no matter how many doctors it takes. It is easy to fall between the cracks when problems arise after an AN. I had the same problems, when trying to find treatment for post AN headaches.

I wonder if the other" increasing problems" would get better if the head pressure was resolved.  There are threads on this site that describe increased AN symptoms when atmospheric pressure increases.

Take care and tell your husband I wish him well.

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:58:10 am »
In response to Janet....WHY do ANers fall between the cracks post surgery?  Maybe if we had "the team" (Neurosurgeon & Neurotologist) look into this site from time to time, their answers would begin to change?  The "canned" response from them is becoming old and unbelievable.  Wonder what Bob Woodruff would say. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

tony

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 08:19:55 am »
It might be a bit embarrasing for certain surgeons ?
In the old list there was a secretary from one of the gamma knife centres
- the input was useful and helpful
Maybe we could have a doc`s corner ?
maybe the admins could look at that ?
best regards
tony

Kaye

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 07:54:33 am »
 ::) ;D :)  You are all so wonderful; just to even take the time to read my post.  I'm going to get Mr. Wonderful (Joe), to sit himself down and talk with all you guys.  I take all your suggestions, confirmations of similiar symptoms to  heart and will start to search out a new Neurologist and other suggestions.  Please do keep them coming.   Thanks again, Kaye
Joe and Kaye

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 09:55:11 am »
I LOVE your style Kaye!!!   You've got me giggling in my seat...'Mr. Wonderful'....love it,    Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 06:00:25 pm »
Hi, Kaye:

My sympathy to Joe and to you regarding all of the problems Joe is experiencing.  I'm 9 months post-op (retrosigmoid approach) and 5 months post-radiation (see my signature).  While I had a very good outcome with few complications , I also have that 'tightening' feeling in the head where the AN was/is.  My solution: I take ibuprofen - a non-steroid anti-inflammatory medication sold under various brand names, such as Advil) - and that generally handles it.  2 tablets, twice per day.  800 milligrams.  My doctor says that it's just the bone healing and that if the ibuprofen can minimize the discomfort, it isn't serious.  I chose to believe him. 

I would suggest that your suffering husband try the ibuprofen and see if it helps.  It can't do him any harm and even if it helps a little, I'm sure he'd be grateful. 

I wish you both the best.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaye

THank You ALL
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 10:50:28 am »
Just a quick thank you to each and every one of you for your encouragement.  I'm sharing each note with Joe.  He'd better try some of your suggestions or else!  Only kidding I really and truly just with he'd get some relief.  Have a wonderful day.  Kaye and Joe from South Jersey
Joe and Kaye