Author Topic: Bad taste 2 1/2 yrs post op  (Read 4063 times)

Sam Rush

Bad taste 2 1/2 yrs post op
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:27:38 am »

I am 2 1/2 yrs post op translab for 1cm AN at HEI.  Have done extremly well. However, the past 4-5 months have developed a salty slimy mettallic taste in mouth.  I thought it was a side  effect of BP meds., but no. Dentist could find no problem.  I didn't think it was related to AN, until I did some research and talked to Dr. Brakemann at House.

Apparently, there is a small branch of the 7th cranial nerve(facial), that is closely associated witht the vestibular branch of the 8th cranial nerve(auditory), and that small branch supplies nerves for taste  of the anterior 2/3 of tongue and feeling in lips.  This small branch is apparently regeneratiing and causing the sensations. Dr. Brakemann doesn't know how long it will last and may be permanent.

Anyone w/ similar symptoms and sugg. on how to deal w/ this annoying symptom.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Bad taste 2 1/2 yrs post op
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:37:53 am »
Hi Sam:  YEEAAHHHH!!!!!!  I have the same thing & am soo glad it means my nerve is generating.
             I didn't have it immediately post op, but it's gotten alot worse.
             Yep, same symptoms as you, horrible metallic taste with just an essence of salt,
             but, YIPPEE if it means my nerve is coming back.
             I'M DANCING AT MY DESK !!!!!!
             Let me tell you, I LIVE on Listerine Breath Strips.
             Now that I know what it is, it doesn't seem as annoying at all.

Thank you, thankyou, thankyou !!!!!!   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:18:45 pm »
Sam:

Thanks for the info.  I don't have much of a taste problem - well, maybe just a tiny bit - but I do have a few small 'patches' on the side of my tongue and on my lips that are superficially 'numb'.  I intended to mention this to my neurosurgeon when I see him in April for a follow-up and a fresh MRI scan.  However, even though I'll still mention it to him as a point of information, Dr. Brakemann's explanation seems to explain the cause of these annoying 'numb' spots.  Nerve regeneration is good.  Very, very good.  Of course, the fact that Dr. Brakemann doesn't know how long the sensation of 'numbness' will last and that the 'numbness' could be permanent is not so good.  Meanwhile, hope springs eternal that in time, the nerves will eventually regenerate and this too, shall pass. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:40:35 pm »
Yes, Sam, I have sensations remaining on the AN side and tip of my tongue that come and go.  My translab was followed by minimal late onset facial weakness.  The whole face is recovered but the taste issues persisted for 10-11 months.  At least I have had more good days than bad days since the one year mark.  Once in a while now I get a really sore spot on the very tip of my tongue, especially when I use my tongue to clear the popcorn or other harsh stuff.  So my remedy at this point is to never eat abrasive or hot things.  I let my food cool.  I never sip hot liquids.  Chocolate puddings and yogurt go down very easily.  My tongue seems happy with that. 

On a happier note the metallic taste has abated and I am able to forget the taste differences for the most part.  I have found that a tiny bit of salt on my food allows me more taste pleasure.  Before surgery I had cut out salt completely.  I am sure glad I don't have BP problems and don't need to eliminate salt.  In fact I have always had low to normal BP.

matti

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:15:49 pm »
Sam - I'm almost 9 years post op and still experience a metallic taste. Mine developed almost immediately after surgery and was 24/7, but has lessened during the past couple of years. Since my surgery I can not tolerate salt in even the tiniest amount.  I'm OK with that, I'm just glad my taste buds still allow me to enjoy chocolate ;)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:28:34 pm »
Sam,

I had my surgery on Feb. 13th and I had some issues with the taste of certain foods for a week or two...but then it abated.

Just a couple of days ago, I developed that salty, slimey metallic taste on the right side of my tounge. I can eat salted foods OK...but I pick up heavy salt flavors on foods where the it seems strange like an ice cream sugar cone. The cone tasted like a salt lick.

Dan :D
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

er

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:48 pm »
Hello Sam

I had my surgery 2 years on the 28 and that salty, slimy metallic taste on the left side of my tongue it is not as bad as it us to be, but it is very annoying but it has been there since I came out of surgery. So I eat a lot of sweets and grease salty food, which my doctor has scolded me. Nancyann told me she uses allot of Listerine.
er

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:14:15 pm »
Sam,

I have it as well. It's salty as well as metallic. Didn't really start until months after my surgery. One of my doctors - neurotologist - informed me that it's the "chorda timpani nerve" that is responsible for this. I was worried at first, thinking that it might be a csf leak.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 12:42:54 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

lmurray69

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:37:54 pm »
Sam ,Hello my name is Linda . I too have problems I am 5 months post op.had surgery in november. hard for me to eat meat. It taste like plastic..all meat excet taco meat, things that are seasoned really well. i have had a salty taste lately. things that have a lot of salt is really bad.too thanks for the talk
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Sam Rush

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 09:43:26 am »
 crazycat is right, the chorda tympani  branch of facial nerve is closely associated with vestibular nerve, and hard to save during AN surgery, supplies nerve sensory fibers to the front 2/3 of tongue and salivary glands.   In spite of all my pre-op research and questions, I was not aware of this particular annoying complication. I guess the symptoms vary considerably.  Anyway, now that I know the cause, I'm not as obsessive about blaming my other medications or looking for a dental hygiene problem.

Dr. Brakemann suggested sugarless lemon drops,  anyn other suggestions???
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05