Author Topic: Black Eye  (Read 5145 times)

Little Sister

Black Eye
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:31:47 am »
My husband's surgery for a lg.AN was on 3/6/07. The right eye was black when we saw him, just like something hit him in the eye. The AN was on the same side. Has anyone experienced this before? What could it have been caused from? I am concerned. Thanks.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Black Eye
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 07:50:51 am »
Did you ask the doctors about it?  What did they say?

I won't pretend to be a medical professional, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that a bruise around the eye is part of the body's healing process.  There's a lot of trauma inside the head after these surgeries, and the black eye may just be how you're seeing his body deal with the leftover blood and fluid that's inside.  Personally, I know the left side of my head (I had a left AN) filled with fluid a few weeks post-op - the whole side of my face got puffy, and I even had fluid sloshing around inside my upper eyelid.  Very funky feeling, indeed!

If you haven't yet asked your husband's doctors about the black eye, please do.  It's not that I think it's something sinister, but they should be able to reassure you.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:56:52 am »
I didn't have a black eye but I had a black bruise from my top lip all the way down my chin.  My doctor said it was where they had a needle in for monitoring my facial nerve.  It went away quickly though.
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:14:23 pm »
I did not have a black eye but a yellowish bruise appeared under my eye 1 month after surgery. It finally cleared up.
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

luckylady

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 06:01:53 am »
Greetings-
Had my AN surgery on Nov. 14- when I woke up in ICU could not see out of my left eye-Black-Blue swollen shut- Physicians and nurses all told me it was due to tissue trauma during surgery - Today is December 12 and I still have a swollen black eye- Eye is about 4 times larger than the other eye - but I did develope Bells Palsey Last Friday- 

You are not alone- Hang in there.  I have a physician appointmen Monday

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:58:32 pm »
I had a black eye after surgery too.  It's normal.  Any time they do surgery in that area - brains, sinuses, eyes... it can happen.  It should go away soon and not cause any problems, but if it concerns you, definitely mention it to the doctor.

I joked around with my doctor after the surgery saying he didn't have to punch me in the eye whle I was asleep.  He assured me it couldn't have been him because he's right handed and it was my left eye.  Gotta love a surgeon with a sense of humor!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.