Author Topic: 2 weeks after surgery questions  (Read 5231 times)

Little Sister

2 weeks after surgery questions
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:45:57 am »
Hello,
My husband had a large tumor removed on 3/6/07 and I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.He is experiencing double vision and is wearing a patch to help strenghten the eyes. His right eye is the worst but both are involved. Also his speech is slurred. My questions or I guess my request is that someone tell me if they had these particular experiences and how did they progress?
Thank You so much!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 2 weeks after surgery questions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 07:49:01 am »
Hi Library Lady and welcome to you and your husband.  there is a forum here dedicated to eye problems:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0

You may find some answers there that may be of help.  The issues your husband is having are not too unfamiliar post-AN surgery so others here may be able to also help guide you.

Welcome and know that we are here to help.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 07:53:53 am »
Hi Library Lady and welcome to the forum.

I did not have double vision for some reason.  Just lucky I guess.  Many, many people have.  I am sure you will get quite a few responses regarding this.

My speech was a little goofy for a while.  My face just didn't work quite right.  Everything slowly came back as the nerves healed.  I really had trouble drinking out of a soda can.  What a big mess that was.

Good luck to you both, the worst is way behind you and your husband.  Tell him we all say HI and congrats on being rid of it!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

mar50

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:42:12 pm »
Hi Library - as stated above, these are common problems.  I experienced double-vision and other vision problems.  I just wanted to suggest that if your husband could consult with an opthomologist or neuro-opthomologist it might be heplfu.  I wore what are called prisms (special lenses) in my glasses for a few months and it helped to straighten everything out eventually.

Best wishes to your husband for a quick recovery!!!!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 06:44:46 pm »
I think its because the muscles that move the eyes around are having problems  , it will get better with time ... I did not have vision problems .. but sounded terrible for the first 2 months .. was still having problems when I started work again ... it was hard at first, I would sound ok in the morning .. but as the day war on .. got worse and worse ... but I think I needed tp push myself .. and it did get better  8)

hows his balance ?  I was still on a walker at 2 weeks.... at 3 weeks it was a big goal just to walk around the house on my own ! ... and now I'm more or less "normal"  8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:50:22 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

er

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 01:46:58 am »
Hi Librarty Lady
I had my surgery March 28, 2005 and I am still having double vision, and if I get to tired my speech goes. I am only able to say one-word syllables or I slur my words. When I get that way my husband sends me to bed to rest and I’m fine after wards.

amymeri

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 05:27:34 pm »
I had bad double vision for three months.  I still have a little but have compensated so much that I don't notice it.  I have it mostly in close work and when I stare at papers etc.

The slurred speech might be a result of some facial paralysis or paralysis of the tongue.  That too may resolve during recovery.

Because of my facial paralysis, bi-labial sounds (B, M, P) are very hard for me to make.  Its quite frustrating.

I agree that if you haven't made an appointment with a neurophthalmologist, I would do so ASAP.  They can be very helpful.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now