Author Topic: What an eye weight is?  (Read 3062 times)

prabakaran

What an eye weight is?
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:05:25 pm »
Hi,

I had browsed the forums and found the common usage of the term "Eye weight" . What actually does that mean.
My eye surgeon did a "Lateral Tarsoraphy" on me and put stitches onto my eyelids to avoid my eyes getting dried and my eye sight becoming poor. But is Eye weight different from that?

Cheers,
Praba
 8) ( depicting myself as I always wear an auto cool glass now)
Cheers,
Praba

er

Re: What an eye weight is?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:16:27 pm »
Hi prabakaran

I had a left side acuostic naroma that left my left side of my face kind of useless. They place a gold weight in my eye lid to help it close because it just wouldn't on its own. If that is what you are asking. I had mine in for 7 months  :(I couldn't wait to have it taken out.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:35:33 am »
Hi Praba:  As Eve said, the gold (or platinum weight) is placed in the upper lid so it can close - this is used for those of us with facial paralysis since
              the eyelid would stay wide open without it.    I also had the lateral tarsal strip as you did - stitches placed inside the lower outer lid -
              my lower lid post op was hanging way down, you could see the pink below the white of the eye.  Between both being done, it made
             a world of difference not only for appearance but to protect the cornea.     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

prabakaran

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:38:48 pm »
Hi,

Is it advisable to  say people need to have both the eye weight and tarsal strip.

Cheers,
Praba
Cheers,
Praba

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 04:35:01 am »
Hi there:   I think it depends on how severe the paralysis is.  Since I'm a 6 on the Brackman Scale (I think that's the name of it), which is total paralysis,
               I needed both eyelids done - the upper lid was way up & the lower lid way down (It looked awful !!!).
               People who's lower lid was in normal position probably only needed the weight.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

palms0@hotmail.com

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:49:18 am »
Hi Praba
There are also external weights that can be worn. They are put on with double sided tapes that come with them. The doctor has a trial set for you to try in the office to see what weight is needed to help close your eye. Then they order it accordingly to your flesh tone also. They are around 70.00 dollars. My husband has been wearing his for about 7 mos now. His surgery was 8 mos ago. He has opted to do this because he does not want to go thru another surgery, since the dr's tell him his nerve is intact and will hopefully function soon. It is getting better, but this is nothing like we expected.
He also uses tears and gel thru the day to keep his eye from getting dry. I work for an ophthalmologist who checks his cornea. Restasis drops seem to be helping also along with a punctal plug he had put in. He did not need any other eye procedures.
Good luck with your recovery.
meb
9mm retro sigmoid drs. evans and willcox jefferson hosp phila
facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
i was a 46 yo happy active man, now this surgery has ruined my life
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!
ps still have 4mm enhancing area :(